The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 31, 2018, 10:48:27 AM
I hope Paddy does sue left right and centre. Too many f**k wits on social media who think they can say what they want. About time something was done to discourage it
There is that temptation but I think it is likely to fan the flames. If he tries to tackle some feminist there will be an ensuing GoFundMe to pay for the bills and accusations of bullying. If I was him I'd keep my head down for a few months waiting for that particular bandwagon to move on elsewhere.

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on March 31, 2018, 01:57:03 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2018, 01:01:50 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 31, 2018, 12:36:37 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2018, 12:32:05 AM
Truly baffling but all too common now in this internet age. Social justice warriors have zero interest in nuance. They form an opinion that fits their ideology and then they saturate the airwaves with their hard edged version of the truth. How can anyone of good conscience say what they are saying with such certainty and with such venom? These people don't give a fook about the truth or the impact on the lives of those who they disagree with.
Anybody who uses the words "social justice warriors" sort of destroys their own argument.

And why would that be sid? Typical of the style you see on twitter I have to say.  ::)

Because literally everyone knows it's a loaded alt-right term.

But, sure, go ahead and keep at it and see how many people take you seriously.

Given the regard you are held in by the posters on this board, I don't think you are in much of a position to give out advice on how to get taken seriously.

seafoid

I hope Paddy does sue left right and centre. Too many f**k wits on social media who think they can say what they want. About time something was done to discourage it
The trial has become political. Loads of female votes going. PJ should take a deep breath.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ardtole

Quote from: AQMP on March 31, 2018, 10:46:54 AM
According to Jackson's legal team using a certain twitter hashtag suggesting that you found the complainant's version of events credible (ahem) is defamatory and they're going to set down a marker on social media.

Can't help thinking that this is just keeping the trial running after it's over.
To me it would suggest he is very badly advised. I have very little faith in the legal profession a lot of them are happy to prolong their case, squeeze as much money as they can out of each situation and not always in their clients interest.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 31, 2018, 10:51:04 AM
There is that temptation but I think it is likely to fan the flames. If he tries to tackle some feminist there will be an ensuing GoFundMe to pay for the bills and accusations of bullying. If I was him I'd keep my head down for a few months waiting for that particular bandwagon to move on elsewhere.

If I was him I would go for the high profile targets like the senator but can think of plenty of others such as an ex NI politician. His name has been ruined anyway so he has nothing further to lose.

Minder

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 31, 2018, 10:44:28 AM
I've neither condemned nor defended them to date as it seemed to be something that got out of hand on a booze fuelled night, however PJ has made a huge mistake suing O'Roirdan over his tweet.   No point making statements regretting your behaviour then taking exception to someone calling you out for that behaviour.  Very poor judgement by his legal advisor.   This could be more damaging to PJs image  than the trial itself.

Did the tweet not basically say he got away with it because he was middle class? That's a big difference from calling them out on their behaviour, so that tweet would be fair game I would have thought & is totally moronic from O'Riordan
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RedHand88

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 31, 2018, 11:06:00 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 31, 2018, 10:51:04 AM

If I was him I would go for the high profile targets like the senator but can think of plenty of others such as an ex NI politician. His name has been ruined anyway so he has nothing further to lose.

If it's the former politician I'm thinking of she has had a vendetta against males for a long time.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 31, 2018, 10:25:32 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that those whom have been tweeting #imwithher and #suemepaddy and getting involved in related public demos mainly on the basis of fighting sexism, macho culture and patriarchy are actually inadvertently reinforcing it?
You're certainly not the only one. Very good point.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 31, 2018, 01:08:27 PM
Worth a read, quite a few in the public gallery need to take a look at themselves.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/laughter-jeers-and-scoffs-at-woman-from-the-public-gallery-were-simply-shocking-36760983.html
A disgraceful setting for a rape trial. This is the kind of stuff they should be protesting about, not a verdict that was correct or acquitted men getting on with their lives.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Minder on March 31, 2018, 11:33:26 AM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 31, 2018, 10:44:28 AM
I've neither condemned nor defended them to date as it seemed to be something that got out of hand on a booze fuelled night, however PJ has made a huge mistake suing O'Roirdan over his tweet.   No point making statements regretting your behaviour then taking exception to someone calling you out for that behaviour.  Very poor judgement by his legal advisor.   This could be more damaging to PJs image  than the trial itself.

Did the tweet not basically say he got away with it because he was middle class? That's a big difference from calling them out on their behaviour, so that tweet would be fair game I would have thought & is totally moronic from O'Riordan
The tweet is online if you Google it.  He refers to "smug well-connected middle-class boys".   

thebuzz

Quote from: Franko on March 31, 2018, 10:55:38 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 31, 2018, 01:57:03 AM
Truly baffling but all too common now in this internet age. Social justice warriors have zero interest in nuance. They form an opinion that fits their ideology and then they saturate the airwaves with their hard edged version of the truth. How can anyone of good conscience say what they are saying with such certainty and with such venom? These people don't give a fook about the truth or the impact on the lives of those who they disagree with.
Anybody who uses the words "social justice warriors" sort of destroys their own argument.

And why would that be sid? Typical of the style you see on twitter I have to say.  ::)

Because literally everyone knows it's a loaded alt-right term.

But, sure, go ahead and keep at it and see how many people take you seriously.

Given the regard you are held in by the posters on this board, I don't think you are in much of a position to give out advice on how to get taken seriously.

Never saw truer words written. I used to think that everyone who gave you a hard time was wrong Syferus but you are definitely your own worst enemy.

sid waddell

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 31, 2018, 09:09:15 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 31, 2018, 01:11:46 AM

Using the term "social justice warrior" is very Twitter alright. It's a tool to try and delegitimise debate. All alt-right terminology is.

By far the most venomous reaction I've seen has been from those who are seeking to vilify the complainant, by the way.

Then I suggest you take another look at some of the stuff on the #suemepaddy trend. Its character assassination stuff at this stage. Gary Walsh was turfed off the laois panel for what he said about the complainant (rightly so imo). By comparison, look at what the likes of what @flyingteacosy have said about PJ and it goes completely unchecked.

You'd wonder why some women have an "attitude". And then you wouldn't.

Syferus

Quote from: sid waddell on March 31, 2018, 07:01:42 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 31, 2018, 09:09:15 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 31, 2018, 01:11:46 AM

Using the term "social justice warrior" is very Twitter alright. It's a tool to try and delegitimise debate. All alt-right terminology is.

By far the most venomous reaction I've seen has been from those who are seeking to vilify the complainant, by the way.

Then I suggest you take another look at some of the stuff on the #suemepaddy trend. Its character assassination stuff at this stage. Gary Walsh was turfed off the laois panel for what he said about the complainant (rightly so imo). By comparison, look at what the likes of what @flyingteacosy have said about PJ and it goes completely unchecked.

You'd wonder why some women have an "attitude". And then you wouldn't.

Why one side of this 'debate' (there shouldn't a debate that there is a serious problem in the first place) seem to refuse to acknowledge is that one side is completely a reaction to the behaviour of the other. It's not an invented issue. Women didn't suddenly decide rape was a problem with the advent of the internet and social media. They just didn't have much of a voice on anything until the last half century or less, even in this country. There's a hell of a lot of catching up to do.

The same platforms that let hysteria flourish in some quarters have also allowed many positive grassroots movements to form and grab society's attention. One side just wants people to shut up and stop spoiling their simple worldview with contrary information. That's sad.