The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: sid waddell on March 08, 2018, 08:38:37 PM
I was just reading up a bit there now about the Mike Tyson rape trial in 1992.

I think there are some key similarities between this case and the Tyson one. The celebrity status of the defendant/s most obviously, but the victim also had vaginal abrasions, and a witness who drove the victim in a car shortly after the crime testified that she was in a distressed state. These were key to getting a conviction. I'm not 100% sure of the source on this one but it has also been written that there was no trace of semen found.

But unlike in this case, there were no direct eyewitnesses to the crime other than Tyson, who denied it, and Desiree Washington, the victim.

Yet still it resulted in a conviction.

One major difference though between Tyson and these defendants.

Syferus

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 08, 2018, 08:46:53 PM

I think there are some key similarities between this case and the Tyson one. The celebrity status of the defendant/s most obviously, but the victim also had vaginal abrasions, and a witness who drove the victim in a car shortly after the crime testified that she was in a distressed state. These were key to getting a conviction. I'm not 100% sure of the source on this one but it has also been written that there was no trace of semen found.

But unlike in this case, there were no direct eyewitnesses to the crime other than Tyson, who denied it, and Desiree Washington, the victim.

The victim was also black.

Maiden1

There are quite a few other cases for and against

E.g.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case
There are no proofs, only opinions.

straightred

I'd say there's 2. Don't forget boxer vs rugby player

Milltown Row2

Quote from: straightred on March 08, 2018, 09:22:54 PM

Tyson had previous! What traits have these lads shown in the past ? Have they been convicted of anything before? Is this normal for them?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2018, 09:33:39 PM

Tyson had previous! What traits have these lads shown in the past ? Have they been convicted of anything before? Is this normal for them?
Belfast's top shaggers. More flutes than the 12th of Julÿ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thebuzz

Quote from: Syferus on March 08, 2018, 08:55:34 PM

A friend mentioned this to me last night but I had never heard of it before then. If this were true surely it would be in their favour?

But then when was she examined? The longer after the night's events then the less likely there would be any trace I'd presume.

Maiden1

Quote from: thebuzz on March 08, 2018, 09:38:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 08, 2018, 08:55:34 PM

A friend mentioned this to me last night but I had never heard of it before then. If this were true surely it would be in their favour?

But then when was she examined? The longer after the night's events then the less likely there would be any trace I'd presume.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/belfast-rape-trial-olding-s-semen-found-on-alleged-victim-s-clothes-1.3400684?mode=amp
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2018, 09:38:06 PM

Belfast's top shaggers. More flutes than the 12th of Julÿ

That's it! Throw away the key??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 08, 2018, 06:41:10 PM
Was her underwear paraded around the court?
The jury was shown her top, jeans and underwear.

sid waddell

What previous? Previous for rape? Em, I don't think so, mate.

"Previous" or no "previous" of any sort is irrelevant in determining whether somebody is guilty of a crime.

longballin

Quote from: sid waddell on March 08, 2018, 10:42:53 PM

"Previous" or no "previous" of any sort is irrelevant in determining whether somebody is guilty of a crime.

It can if judge allows previous to be introduced thereby shows a prediliction to such behaviour/offending.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on March 08, 2018, 10:42:53 PM

I'm not your mate

He was done for mugging robbing and pickpocketing before rape case, now I can't say those things determine whether you'll turn into a rapist but I think when you use violence to mug someone it doesn't make you a nice person. But you're thinking different

sid waddell

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'