Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on September 01, 2019, 09:01:14 PM
Jesus head in the sand stuff here. Kerry couldn't beat Dublin despite having an extra man. Kerry were on course for a 10 point beating but for the sending off.

Have to say agree with this, Kerry are getting a free pass. Imagine that was Mayo who failed to beat 14 man Dublin, missed a penalty and Cillian O'Connor performed as poorly as  Clifford. Somehow chokers and bottlers would be mentioned a lot.
#newbridgeornowhere

square_ball

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 01, 2019, 09:21:10 PM
Think he a modern day footballer where the basic ability to kick or solo a ball is not required, but been a strong fielder for yrs though.

Thats a myth from the 'it was better in our day' brigade. There's not a county footballer in Ireland that is not highly skilled at the basics including MDMA.

Wildweasel74

Clifford was doing alright, It a simple matter of not enough supply into him, Kerry were getting pinning in for long stages. You can't do much if you don't want have the ball.

tonto1888

Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2019, 09:19:26 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 01, 2019, 08:57:13 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 01, 2019, 08:28:16 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2019, 05:35:05 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 01, 2019, 04:59:21 PM
Taking off Mannion and Howard is a big call by Gavin.

Mannion was poor I thought

I thought taking off MDMA was a mistake

Barely figured in the second half. Jack Barry wasn't as eye catching as he was in the first 20 minutes but I don't know when the last time Fenton was kept so quiet.

Also, he showed a couple of signs of kicking the football, so Gavin was right to haul him ashore given Macauley's, you know, complete inability to play Gaelic football.

Harsh!! The man has won a plethora of All Ireland's and while not the silliest of footballers does some amount of work and a great job for Dublin

Two all stars and a player off the year also I believe

Wildweasel74

imtommygunn

Clifford did ok. Seemed nervous and shot a few wides. He was scaring the life out of cooper. He was better than Geaney who I thought Byrne marshalled well.

gallsman

Barely figured in the second half. Jack Barry wasn't as eye catching as he was in the first 20 minutes but I don't know when the last time Fenton was kept so quiet.

Also, he showed a couple of signs of kicking the football, so Gavin was right to haul him ashore given Macauley's, you know, complete inability to play Gaelic football.

Harsh!! The man has won a plethora of All Ireland's and while not the silliest of footballers does some amount of work and a great job for Dublin

Very true and he's been one of the most important Dubs of the last decade. Fully deserved his all stars and FOTY award.

Doesn't change the fact that he can't play football to save his life.

Captain Obvious

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: gallsman on September 01, 2019, 09:37:06 PM

Very true and he's been one of the most important Dubs of the last decade. Fully deserved his all stars and FOTY award.

And yet he has 6 AI medals:

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship: 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

gallsman

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on September 01, 2019, 09:45:40 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 01, 2019, 09:37:06 PM

And yet he has 6 AI medals:

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship: 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

See the reference to him being one of their most important players of the decade.

thewobbler

I'm borderline astounded anyone though Clifford had a poor game today. He led the line brilliantly. Missed a few shots on goal, but hi, everyone does that.

rodney trotter

MacAuley always looks clumsy looking on the field. Arms flying everywhere, hops the balls more then solos it. He's a good crafter though with a great engine. I remember watching him in the Club All Ireland with Ballyboden and he was impressive.

Fear ón Srath Bán

MDMA is absolutely worth his place -- reminds me of Enda Mc Ginley for ourselves, nothing exceptional but critically crucial for the basic things in the middle of the park, and without which any team struggles.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

The Hill is Blue

I wrote a number of times on this thread that this would be a 50/50 game, much to the amusement of those who don't realise that All Ireland finals usually take on a life of their own with no reference to previous form or bookies odds. And the replay will also be a toss up.

BTW. What odds now on the Dubs doing ten in a row as predicted by some of the more demented doom merchants on this forum?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

gallsman

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 01, 2019, 10:08:12 PM
I wrote a number of times on this thread that this would be a 50/50 game, much to the amusement of those who don't realise that All Ireland finals usually take on a life of their own with no reference to previous form or bookies odds. And the replay will also be a toss up.

BTW. What odds now on the Dubs doing ten in a row as predicted by some of the more demented doom merchants on this forum?

The massive asterisk to that is they played a man down for 40 minutes.