Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 02:21:51 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on August 21, 2017, 02:08:59 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 01:57:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2017, 01:41:01 PM
Its horrible at juvenile level, I took our 12's for 4 years and I know what its like, kids are hanging on your coat tails looking games following you around and you're trying to win the match, plus you've the parents down and they are sorta huffing too.. Me personally I never really had that problem as I generally had just about a team every week! But it doesn't change at senior lol!! feckers still gurning at me for not putting them on!

Some of the lads really pushed on and have been county players some drifted off altogether... Country teams have it harder as in playing for the parish and I wouldn't be one for telling you to move him to a neighbouring parish as that brings a shit storm again, but losing out on the game that he loves is also pish!

Ive ref'd a few tournaments lately were subs were mandatory you couldn't start a second half without putting on your subs... why not bring this into play at under 12 and under 14

This is a good debate. To be honest most clubs I've seen nowadays are trying hard in a variety of ways to get all kids on the pitch. As you say different clubs have different problems with regards this issue.

I'm just of the opinion that at the younger juvenile levels all kids should get game time and never worry about a stupid trophy. It's very short sighted to win at the cost of losing a few kids possibly.

Agree, this is the kinda debate that is needed on this board from time to time.

I've started to take my nephew to a few of his soccer blitzes recently, the rule applies that if you start 1 game then you can't start the next. There is squad of 15 Un10/Un11s who go home happy each week and the numbers are thriving right through the age groups.

I watched a few young lads in my own club suffer by not getting games and throwing the head up and leaving, in turn good families who did a powerful amount of work for the club have been lost.

Thriving numbers ....now you're talking. That's exactly what's needed. I think parents are a lot more informed nowadays and should select a club with an ethos that is attractive to them.

They went to a blitz last season in Derry City, the club bought sausages rolls and tea/coffee for parents during the morning and sponsored a meal for parents/players alike on the way home. Wee things like that, possibly a big financial outlay at the time but its reflects kindly on the club.

hurlingstick

Quote from: Mcquillans man on August 21, 2017, 02:40:17 PM
What club is this hurlingstick. I'm sure of parents spoke to they managers they would maybe give them the reason as to why they are not getting much game time .

I don't think that would be fair to the club/management involved. The conversation with management has been had/will be had. It's sensitive as at the end of the day they're volunteers. I think it's something the club in question need to look at within themselves. The club's structures are very poor.

hurlingstick

Quote from: paddyjohn on August 21, 2017, 02:46:19 PM
Its horrible at juvenile level, I took our 12's for 4 years and I know what its like, kids are hanging on your coat tails looking games following you around and you're trying to win the match, plus you've the parents down and they are sorta huffing too.. Me personally I never really had that problem as I generally had just about a team every week! But it doesn't change at senior lol!! feckers still gurning at me for not putting them on!

Some of the lads really pushed on and have been county players some drifted off altogether... Country teams have it harder as in playing for the parish and I wouldn't be one for telling you to move him to a neighbouring parish as that brings a shit storm again, but losing out on the game that he loves is also pish!

Ive ref'd a few tournaments lately were subs were mandatory you couldn't start a second half without putting on your subs... why not bring this into play at under 12 and under 14

This is a good debate. To be honest most clubs I've seen nowadays are trying hard in a variety of ways to get all kids on the pitch. As you say different clubs have different problems with regards this issue.

I'm just of the opinion that at the younger juvenile levels all kids should get game time and never worry about a stupid trophy. It's very short sighted to win at the cost of losing a few kids possibly.

I've started to take my nephew to a few of his soccer blitzes recently, the rule applies that if you start 1 game then you can't start the next. There is squad of 15 Un10/Un11s who go home happy each week and the numbers are thriving right through the age groups.

I watched a few young lads in my own club suffer by not getting games and throwing the head up and leaving, in turn good families who did a powerful amount of work for the club have been lost.

Thriving numbers ....now you're talking. That's exactly what's needed. I think parents are a lot more informed nowadays and should select a club with an ethos that is attractive to them.

They went to a blitz last season in Derry City, the club bought sausages rolls and tea/coffee for parents during the morning and sponsored a meal for parents/players alike on the way home. Wee things like that, possibly a big financial outlay at the time but its reflects kindly on the club.

Think the stuff that goes on off the pitch is every bit as important. Anyway thanks for contributions from everyone. This was a constructive debate.

paddyjohn

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on August 21, 2017, 02:46:19 PM

Think the stuff that goes on off the pitch is every bit as important. Anyway thanks for contributions from everyone. This was a constructive debate.

Agree totally and without dragging up old debates on this board, some of our clubs and county teams could take a leaf out of their book. In my own situation with the nephew, he feels very valued and very much part of a team, all the kids goes to each others birthday parties etc.

Hope you get sorted, after all the youth are our future.

ciaran1988

Championship Weekend coming up now what's everyone's predictions

Senior
Ballycastle v Rossa - I'll go Ballycastle by 5
Loughgiel v Creggan - Loughgiel by 15+
Dunloy v St Johns - Dunloy by 8
Cloughmills v Cushendall - Cushendall by 15+

Intermediate
Tir Na Og v Carey - Carey by 2

Junior
Gort Na Mona v St Paul's - Gort by 3
Glenarm v Glenravel - Glenarm by 6

Na Glinntí Glasa

Senior
Ballycastle v Rossa - Rossa by 1/2 points. cant see much being in this.
Loughgiel v Creggan - Loughgiel by 20+. cant see anything other than a breeze for Lgiel
Dunloy v St Johns - Dunloy by 5. Predict this one to be a tough game
Cloughmills v Cushendall - Cushendall by 10. Cmills have been scoring well towards the tail of the season. Yes they lose the games but they havent been hammered out the gate.

Intermediate
Tir Na Og v Carey - Carey by 4

Not really sure about the junior games as ive not seen any of them play or their results this season.
hurl like f**k boi!

breakingball

Quote from: ciaran1988 on August 21, 2017, 03:58:09 PM
Championship Weekend coming up now what's everyone's predictions

Senior
Ballycastle v Rossa - I'll go Ballycastle by 5
Loughgiel v Creggan - Loughgiel by 15+
Dunloy v St Johns - Dunloy by 8
Cloughmills v Cushendall - Cushendall by 15+

Intermediate
Tir Na Og v Carey - Carey by 2

Junior
Gort Na Mona v St Paul's - Gort by 3
Glenarm v Glenravel - Glenarm by 6

I expect something very similar

imtommygunn

Rossa won their key encounter with ballycastle though so that one could go either way i would say.

hurlingstick

Dunloy have improved a fair bit this season and St John's are just ok so I could see Dunloy winning with a bit to spare. Rossa v Ballycastle is probably going to be the tie of the round. With Ciaran Clarke and Saul McCaughan up front you've always a chance even with lots missing. Sarsfields also play St. Galls this weekend and that could go either way.

breakingball

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 06:41:38 PM
Dunloy have improved a fair bit this season and St John's are just ok so I could see Dunloy winning with a bit to spare. Rossa v Ballycastle is probably going to be the tie of the round. With Ciaran Clarke and Saul McCaughan up front you've always a chance even with lots missing. Sarsfields also play St. Galls this weekend and that could go either way.

Sarsfields v st galls is Wednesday night but yes. A tough one to call.

Jesusjones

Spoke to a Johnnies man at work. They are quietly confident of causing an upset against Dunloy.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i would say there are, they have been winning all season in Div. 2.I know its a division below us but when your winning all the time it breeds confidence in a team and a winning mentality.

they have nothing to lose and are going well for this game. we are on the same page so it should be a good game.

Match has been moved to 6pm now on sunday as well.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 22, 2017, 08:18:42 AM
i would say there are, they have been winning all season in Div. 2.I know its a division below us but when your winning all the time it breeds confidence in a team and a winning mentality.

they have nothing to lose and are going well for this game. we are on the same page so it should be a good game.

Venue?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2017, 08:41:38 AM

Venue?

Loughgiel
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2017, 08:48:54 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2017, 08:41:38 AM

Venue?

Loughgiel

With the forecast for this week, that does not bode well for the teams involved.