Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Play the long game and encourage him to keep practicing, attend every training session and over time develop the confidence to learn to compete for his place. Plenty of late developers who only get there by staying the course. If a child is a regular attender at training and shows signs that he's practicing at home, there's more likelihood of him getting game time.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

hurlingstick

Quote from: NAG1 on August 21, 2017, 10:43:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2017, 10:33:38 AM
Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 10:15:20 AM
A juvenile is always a sub in matches. Fair enough as there are better players and that's how life works. The child's team win a game by 20+ points and the child got to play for the last 60 seconds.

What would you do if this was your child?

Surely that's down to the management and their judgement? Best thing to do is never get involved over management selection... Winning by 20 points or winning by 1 some managers see value in getting 60 minutes regardless how the game is going out of their best team

In a juvenile game that is pretty ridiculous and maybe one of the reasons why come minor most teams are struggling to get a squad together.

All players should be treated equally regardless of their talent as they progress through juvenile levels, it is those 4/5 kids who might not be the best now that will end up being the most important elements of the squad.

Too often mentors are all about winning all way through the juvenile grades and not looking long term, Naomh Eoin and a certain MJ is this perfect example of this.

I agree NAG. It's a poor reflection on the sporting ethics of the management and it's rife in the club I'm referring to. The mother of the child is probably going to take the child out of the club over it. It's hard to blame her. Like you said that child could end up a good minor/senior hurler, a club secretary or chairman. A good friend of mine could hardly hit a ball at U12 and went on to play senior county.

hurlingstick

Quote from: theskull1 on August 21, 2017, 10:51:57 AM
Play the long game and encourage him to keep practicing, attend every training session and over time develop the confidence to learn to compete for his place. Plenty of late developers who only get there by staying the course. If a child is a regular attender at training and shows signs that he's practicing at home, there's more likelihood of him getting game time.

There's definitely merit in what you're saying Skull. That's the current dilemma faced.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 10:42:20 AM
A juvenile is always a sub in matches. Fair enough as there are better players and that's how life works. The child's team win a game by 20+ points and the child got to play for the last 60 seconds.

Surely that's down to the management and their judgement? Best thing to do is never get involved over management selection... Winning by 20 points or winning by 1 some managers see value in getting 60 minutes regardless how the game is going out of their best team

You don't think it's a bit harsh on a young child?

Its harsh on any kid, and I'm not saying its right, but pulling him from the team wont develop him either, as skull says keep him working at it and who knows how he'll develop.. is he a full minor/under 16/under 14/ under 12 player? i.e has he another year at that age group?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2017, 11:07:07 AM

Its harsh on any kid, and I'm not saying its right, but pulling him from the team wont develop him either, as skull says keep him working at it and who knows how he'll develop.. is he a full minor/under 16/under 14/ under 12 player? i.e has he another year at that age group?

2nd year of U14 so as you know MR if struggling to make the team in your second year it's going to be tough. Kid practises every day, hurl never out of hand and loves the game. I have to say i always empty the bench in juvenile hurling but hey, what do I know?

Na Glinntí Glasa

plenty of kids were average at under age and had their stint on and off the bench only to develop through commitment and good coaching as they have got older to become a good player.

It can be frustrating to see a child only play a few moments despite a team winning handy. sometimes it can be down to being so wrapped up in a game and not realising the time left or sometimes you maybe wanting another child to get a longer run out. theres so many kids in a squad that you can always find it hard to ensure that everyone is playing all the time.
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 11:12:38 AM

2nd year of U14 so as you know MR if struggling to make the team in your second year it's going to be tough. Kid practises every day, hurl never out of hand and loves the game. I have to say i always empty the bench in juvenile hurling but hey, what do I know?

Was that in LG on Saturday
We where over and everyone got a run out at least 1 full match + another half over three matches
We had 6 subs
We where never in the hunt for winning the thing so that makes it easier I suppose
That Rossa team has some smashing hurlers
The lad at no8 he's a rolls Royce
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

hurlingstick

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 21, 2017, 12:07:56 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 11:12:38 AM

Was that in LG on Saturday
We where over and everyone got a run out at least 1 full match + another half over three matches
We had 6 subs
We where never in the hunt for winning the thing so that makes it easier I suppose
That Rossa team has some smashing hurlers
The lad at no8 he's a rolls Royce

It wasn't the tournament you're referring to .....but what you're saying here is the way I'd agree with.  Certainly if you get to a semi or final go and try and win it. Outside of that - every child should play.

I think something that has been overlooked here is that the ego of some insecure adults can get in the way of doing what's right/best long term. What I mean is they have to be seen to be winning at whatever cost.

north_antrim_hound

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NPzo3EqAHt4

If he's made of the right stuff he won't let anyone make him stop
Sometimes the young lads who work very hard because they are weaker exel later because they have the work ethic
I read yesterday Lee Keegan never made minor and u21 and for me he's the best footballer in Ireland now
they are all different
It's the ones who think everyone else as at fault that won't improve
That's my 2 cents on it any way
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Its horrible at juvenile level, I took our 12's for 4 years and I know what its like, kids are hanging on your coat tails looking games following you around and you're trying to win the match, plus you've the parents down and they are sorta huffing too.. Me personally I never really had that problem as I generally had just about a team every week! But it doesn't change at senior lol!! feckers still gurning at me for not putting them on!

Some of the lads really pushed on and have been county players some drifted off altogether... Country teams have it harder as in playing for the parish and I wouldn't be one for telling you to move him to a neighbouring parish as that brings a shit storm again, but losing out on the game that he loves is also pish!

Ive ref'd a few tournaments lately were subs were mandatory you couldn't start a second half without putting on your subs... why not bring this into play at under 12 and under 14
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2017, 01:41:01 PM
Its horrible at juvenile level, I took our 12's for 4 years and I know what its like, kids are hanging on your coat tails looking games following you around and you're trying to win the match, plus you've the parents down and they are sorta huffing too.. Me personally I never really had that problem as I generally had just about a team every week! But it doesn't change at senior lol!! feckers still gurning at me for not putting them on!

Some of the lads really pushed on and have been county players some drifted off altogether... Country teams have it harder as in playing for the parish and I wouldn't be one for telling you to move him to a neighbouring parish as that brings a shit storm again, but losing out on the game that he loves is also pish!

Ive ref'd a few tournaments lately were subs were mandatory you couldn't start a second half without putting on your subs... why not bring this into play at under 12 and under 14

AFAIK it already is.

hurlingstick

This is a good debate. To be honest most clubs I've seen nowadays are trying hard in a variety of ways to get all kids on the pitch. As you say different clubs have different problems with regards this issue.

I'm just of the opinion that at the younger juvenile levels all kids should get game time and never worry about a stupid trophy. It's very short sighted to win at the cost of losing a few kids possibly.

paddyjohn

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 01:57:10 PM

This is a good debate. To be honest most clubs I've seen nowadays are trying hard in a variety of ways to get all kids on the pitch. As you say different clubs have different problems with regards this issue.

I'm just of the opinion that at the younger juvenile levels all kids should get game time and never worry about a stupid trophy. It's very short sighted to win at the cost of losing a few kids possibly.

Agree, this is the kinda debate that is needed on this board from time to time.

I've started to take my nephew to a few of his soccer blitzes recently, the rule applies that if you start 1 game then you can't start the next. There is squad of 15 Un10/Un11s who go home happy each week and the numbers are thriving right through the age groups.

I watched a few young lads in my own club suffer by not getting games and throwing the head up and leaving, in turn good families who did a powerful amount of work for the club have been lost.

hurlingstick

Quote from: paddyjohn on August 21, 2017, 02:08:59 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 01:57:10 PM

Agree, this is the kinda debate that is needed on this board from time to time.

I've started to take my nephew to a few of his soccer blitzes recently, the rule applies that if you start 1 game then you can't start the next. There is squad of 15 Un10/Un11s who go home happy each week and the numbers are thriving right through the age groups.

I watched a few young lads in my own club suffer by not getting games and throwing the head up and leaving, in turn good families who did a powerful amount of work for the club have been lost.

Thriving numbers ....now you're talking. That's exactly what's needed. I think parents are a lot more informed nowadays and should select a club with an ethos that is attractive to them.

Mcquillans man

What club is this hurlingstick. I'm sure of parents spoke to they managers they would maybe give them the reason as to why they are not getting much game time .