Euro 2020 to be spread out across Europe

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, December 06, 2012, 05:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quite a bizzare decision

QuoteFootball's 2020 European Championship tournament will be held in a number of cities across the continent, Uefa has announced.

It means there will be no one country hosting the tournament.

The Football Association has already put forward Wembley to European governing body Uefa as a possible venue for the final.

Uefa's executive committee took the decision at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Thursday.

Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland have also expressed their interest to Uefa in staging matches.

Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino told a press conference after the meeting: "Some important decisions have been taken.

"Uefa Euro 2020 will be staged across the continent, in various major cities, following a decision taken today. A Euro for Europe follows an initial idea by Uefa president Michel Platini.

"The response has been extremely positive from all the national associations."

He added the bidding process for the host cities would start in March and decisions would be made in the spring of 2014.

Denn Forever

Will the Aviva be touting for use as a pitch?  Quite bizarre as it is only for 2020 (so far).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

trileacman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 06, 2012, 05:09:07 PM
Quite a bizzare decision

QuoteFootball's 2020 European Championship tournament will be held in a number of cities across the continent, Uefa has announced.

It means there will be no one country hosting the tournament.

The Football Association has already put forward Wembley to European governing body Uefa as a possible venue for the final.

Uefa's executive committee took the decision at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Thursday.

Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland have also expressed their interest to Uefa in staging matches.

Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino told a press conference after the meeting: "Some important decisions have been taken.

"Uefa Euro 2020 will be staged across the continent, in various major cities, following a decision taken today. A Euro for Europe follows an initial idea by Uefa president Michel Platini.

"The response has been extremely positive from all the national associations."

He added the bidding process for the host cities would start in March and decisions would be made in the spring of 2014.

You just have to consider it from UEFA's perspective.

May the bidding commence.

PS: Thank god for a new thread not about a half arsed riot by neanderthals.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 06, 2012, 05:51:34 PM
Will the Aviva be touting for use as a pitch?  Quite bizarre as it is only for 2020 (so far).

Need a 2nd pitch. Groups will have 6 teams, i think. Need at least 3 decent stadia if you wana host a group side.

AFS

Quote from: trileacman on December 06, 2012, 05:59:43 PM

Need a 2nd pitch. Groups will have 6 teams, i think. Need at least 3 decent stadia if you wana host a group side.

Where did you see that? Six teams per group would be madness. I'm pretty sure they're planning to have six groups of four, and the suggestion is that the top two seeds in each group will share hosting duties.

Wasn't dying about this idea initially, but when you consider that the next World Cup is being staged across a country not much smaller than Europe then maybe it isn't all that out there. Group hosts would have to be in the same vicinity though, which might complicate things.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteTo accommodate the expansion from a 16 team finals tournament to 24 teams, it's been proposed that the format be changed from that used in 2012 with the addition of two extra groups in the group stage, and an extra round in the knockout stages. The six groups (A to F) would still contain four teams each, with the top two from each group still going through to the knockout stage. In the new format however, the four best third-ranked sides would also progress, to leave 16 teams going into the new round of 16 knockout stage, ahead of the usual quarter-finals, semi-finals and final

rodney trotter

Extra 8 teams will be bog standard, Why ruin a good thing.. Probaly could for Ireland's chances to Qualify in the future by increasing the amount of teams in the tournament. Euro 12 was a brillant tournament, full of drama goals and excitement.

Every team could play some football (except Ireland) imagine having another 8 teams like Ireland playing terrible football and being completely out of their depth. Although Trappatoni didn't help the cause with his selection of certain players and bringing on the likes of Paul Green against Spain.

Quality tournament with 16 teams, bringing it to 24 will lack the qualiy IMO and have teams there just to make up the numbers like Ireland were at Euro 12..

turk

Terrible decision.
They will ruin the Euros like the world cup was ruined.

Absolute scutter

trileacman

Quote from: AFS on December 06, 2012, 06:35:55 PM
Quote from: trileacman on December 06, 2012, 05:59:43 PM

Where did you see that? Six teams per group would be madness. I'm pretty sure they're planning to have six groups of four, and the suggestion is that the top two seeds in each group will share hosting duties.

Wasn't dying about this idea initially, but when you consider that the next World Cup is being staged across a country not much smaller than Europe then maybe it isn't all that out there. Group hosts would have to be in the same vicinity though, which might complicate things.

My mistake. Need two quality stadiums per city. Glasgow, london, Manc, Pool, Paris, madrid, Munich, Berlin, Monaco/Barca, Dubin/Cardiff, milan/turin eh......

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AQMP

Quote from: trileacman on December 06, 2012, 05:58:03 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 06, 2012, 05:09:07 PM
Quite a bizzare decision

May the bidding commence.

PS: Thank god for a new thread not about a half arsed riot by neanderthals.

What about an All Ireland bid with matches at Croke and Casement??

Bingo

I'm assuming the host city/country wouldn't having to be qualified, ideally they would but they can't let every host city/country qualify automatically. I'm sure if they wanted to they could have very host qualified ie just pick the really good footballing sides - Spain, Germany, Italy, England, etc etc.

But knowing UEFA they'll chase the euro and we'll see the hosts in obscure Russian states, Turkey, Switzerland, Norway and Greenland.  :D

ballinaman

Balls of an idea,I'm far from being a tree hugging hippy but in an age where reduced global air travel is preferred this uncoordinated mass movement of people is silly. Also dilutes the fans experience as when one country hosts 1-2 matches it's a minor event but when one or two countries host an entire tournament the whole population buy into it in a big way like in Poland this summer.

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on December 07, 2012, 09:57:17 AM
Balls of an idea,I'm far from being a tree hugging hippy but in an age where reduced global air travel is preferred this uncoordinated mass movement of people is silly.
It's not for another 8 years,teleporting could be a reality by then.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ballinaman on December 07, 2012, 09:57:17 AM
Balls of an idea,I'm far from being a tree hugging hippy but in an age where reduced global air travel is preferred this uncoordinated mass movement of people is silly. Also dilutes the fans experience as when one country hosts 1-2 matches it's a minor event but when one or two countries host an entire tournament the whole population buy into it in a big way like in Poland this summer.

I agree with your second point - the coming together of fans from many different countries is what makes these tournaments special as opposed to a normal away game.
As for your first point - what difference does that make - its not like there'll be half empty planes flying everywhere in Europe. If anything, there will be less people travelling as there will be more 'host' nations
Hasta la victoria siempre