galway v donegal

Started by cornetto, July 19, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 23, 2015, 08:01:15 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2015, 04:24:52 PM
Squad wise no one compares to Dublin. Dublin could very possibly field two teams who'd hold their own in division 1 of the league. If not their 2nd team could definitely challenge most counties. Donegal have a bit more depth this year with the 2 McHugh's so they can have good cover in half backs but they haven't much up front. (No way could they play the two McHugh's up front). McLoone may make a difference though and if McFadden were to get his shooting boots on though he can be very hit and miss - more miss these days.

Twohands you love your stats...

In the league
Dublin 31 starters
Mayo 31 starters
Cork 26 starters
Kerry 23 [significantly with Kerry they rested/had a lot out injured - none of JOD, Gooch, O'Mahony, Marc O'Se, Donncahdh Walsh, Paul Galvin or Darran Sullivan started a league game for them ; basically Kerry are far closer to Dublin/Mayo than they are to Donegal.
Monaghan 21
Donegal 19

twohands, you need to get out more!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

imtommygunn

How many did antrim have ;-)

Yeah i notice you continually reference donegal and four subs. Mcloone coming back will add though. If they lose a big player they have no replacement. Gallagher and murphy the main two i think though mcbrearty moving toward irreplaceable. Thompson and a mchugh good replacements. The rest wouldn't have too much of an impact.

I hope what o'se / o'connor did at weekend influences them to at least occassionally play two in the ff line.

Whitnail

Anyone know if this is a sky or Rte thing yet?

moysider

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 23, 2015, 03:47:57 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 23, 2015, 03:29:37 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 23, 2015, 02:45:38 PM
I've seen claims elsewhere that Lacey is certainly out whilst Murphy is very doubtful. What injury does Murphy have?

If Murphy is a a 50/50 call I think that Donegal will probably figure that they might be able to get away with leaving him on the bench for this game, especially given that the Mayo-Donegal match will only be a week later, he does look injured to be fair, very hampered in his movement and was well below his best in the Ulster Final

There's no way in hell Donegal will be resting Murphy, unless his leg has come off at the knee, especially when you look at the rest of their squad/their options in terms of replacing him.

They might take him off (unlikely) but there is very little chance they won't start him.

Donegal reaping the "reward" of not doing more to develop players in the league - when you only give 19 players starts in the league, you are always going to be very susceptible to injuries, especially to your top players. Injuries will always happen and Donegal's approach seems to have been a case of cross their fingers, close their eyes and hope against hope.

As a contrast Dublin had 31 different starters in the league.

They wont be resting him. But he is not going to be anywhere right if he manages to play at any stag.

Goldengreen

Quote from: Whitnail on July 24, 2015, 12:30:59 AM
Anyone know if this is a sky or Rte thing yet?

SKY have it

general_lee

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 25, 2015, 06:21:12 PM
Trouble in Donegal camp with one player who can't handle his drink prompting threats of walkouts from other players.

Big challenge for Rory Gallagher.  Personal friendship with the player's family mean that he is not doing what needs to be done.

Sad to see from a Donegal point of view.
You may as well name names  ::)

Mayo4Sam14

Trouble in Donegal camp with one player who can't handle his drink prompting threats of walkouts from other players.

Big challenge for Rory Gallagher.  Personal friendship with the player's family mean that he is not doing what needs to be done.

What exactly happened?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 25, 2015, 08:28:35 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 25, 2015, 07:04:45 PM

You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure it out.

I meant who was involved
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Sidney

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 25, 2015, 10:17:20 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 25, 2015, 08:30:48 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 25, 2015, 08:28:35 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 25, 2015, 07:04:45 PM

You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure it out.

I meant who was involved

The answer stays the same, you don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure it out.
Does the player also have a brother on the team?

StephenC

Some lad publicising rumours and the like on a public message board.

Rossfan

Perhaps a few posts could be deleted.
Awful stuff to be posting.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Lacey confirmed out for this game. Murphy and McBrearty, according to Rory Gallagher (in the Times) are fit.

Presumably Thompson into the half-back line and Frank McGlynn moves to centre back. Simplest, most obvious switch.

cornetto

Murphy will be like o shea thrown in at full forward,think galway will have a plan in place.hope galway forwards can win the day.big ask. But hoping!

rrhf

The battle of the cornetto counties.

ck

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 20, 2015, 11:55:21 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 06:01:28 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 05:56:04 PM
Quote from: ck on July 20, 2015, 02:21:32 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2015, 02:15:43 PM
I'm happy the games in Croker, will suit Galway better.

Really? How so? Donegal have played in Croke park regularly over the past few years!

From a Sligo point of view I'm delighted to get a Croke Park game. Yeah there are more neutral venues but the double header is attractive and will attract more neutral supporters. I'll be there with bells on, Tyrone hot hot favs. Way to have it.

I doubt that.
A match between Donegal and Galway in Castlebar would get thousands of Mayo people alone attending. Altogether would get 20,000+

Agreed, Mayo people would go to this to see their potential QF opponent and a lot more would be just GAA heads and go to see a good game. Being honest it's really about the Corporate boxes and Vendors at Croke Park. Even with a small crowd, Burgers and drink have to be sold and profits made. Not all the money earned comes from tickets sales.

I was under the impression hat Croke Park needed a crowd of 30,000+ to break even.

If that's the case then they may well be on to a loser. I for one will not be travelling to a cavernous 2/3 empty Croke Park, with all the atmosphere of a shopping centre car park, for a game that will see me home at around midnight on a bank holiday weekend.

Croke Park may well have no respect for us but at least I get the chance to say "No way José".

What a loyal supporter you are Bluestack. ..I'd say you'd take a different attitude if All-Ireland final tickets were being handed out.