Referees Section (All Queries on Rulings Welcomed) No Smart Arses/Tyre Kickers

Started by Offical Line, November 17, 2006, 04:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 25, 2015, 09:22:56 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2015, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: REDCOL on June 25, 2015, 08:26:13 AM
Was at a Senior Championship game last weekend, there was a scramble in around the goals and referee awarded free out. Attacking player pleaded that defender picked ball on small square. Referee consulted with umpire and changed his decision to a penalty. Is the umpire permitted to call technical fouls within the current playing rules
No

Which is kind of silly.
As technical fouls are as important as foul play
Are the linesmen allowed?
not for technical fouls, no. the referee has to see the transgression.
it's stupidity.

though I can see why, as you couldn't stop the play to go over and ask the linesman or umpire and then you'd throw the ball in if you made a mistake.

theticklemister

Ladies football

Can a girl touch the ball on the ground, like punch it away from them? I believe this is the rule but no one calls it

Hardy

Esmarelda

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2015, 10:41:22 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on June 25, 2015, 09:22:56 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2015, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: REDCOL on June 25, 2015, 08:26:13 AM
Was at a Senior Championship game last weekend, there was a scramble in around the goals and referee awarded free out. Attacking player pleaded that defender picked ball on small square. Referee consulted with umpire and changed his decision to a penalty. Is the umpire permitted to call technical fouls within the current playing rules
No

Which is kind of silly.
As technical fouls are as important as foul play
Are the linesmen allowed?
not for technical fouls, no. the referee has to see the transgression.
it's stupidity.

though I can see why, as you couldn't stop the play to go over and ask the linesman or umpire and then you'd throw the ball in if you made a mistake.
So we have seven officials in a game where with the absence of an off-side rule, the game can be moved fifty metres up the field instantly, taking the referee effectively out of the game, and six of these officials can't call a technical foul. And that's before we consider the speed of hurling.

Armagh Cúchulainns

See below

An additional Power of the Referee has been added as follows:

"To consult, on a needs basis, with a linesman or umpire(s) – where neutral – in order to establish matters of fact. In the case of the Umpires, this shall include consultation concerning the validity of a score when the Referee is in doubt".

This rule change gives the referee power to consult with the linemen and umpires and will be particularly relevant in the adjudication on "square balls".

Don't see any issue with the above scenario
Its all about the Hurling.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on June 25, 2015, 12:46:55 PM
See below

"To consult, on a needs basis, with a linesman or umpire(s) – where neutral – in order to establish matters of fact. In the case of the Umpires, this shall include consultation concerning the validity of a score when the Referee is in doubt".

This rule change gives the referee power to consult with the linemen and umpires and will be particularly relevant in the adjudication on "square balls".

still no consultation for technical fouls in the heat of the moment
pick off ground. touching ball on ground. two hops. overcarrying.

westbound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2015, 12:56:01 PM
See below

If this is correct, it would mean that a ref could consult with an umpire on "touching ball on ground. two hops. overcarrying" as these are all matters of fact.

I have to say, I didn't know that was the case though.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: westbound on June 25, 2015, 01:12:00 PM
See below

If this is correct, it would mean that a ref could consult with an umpire on "touching ball on ground. two hops. overcarrying" as these are all matters of fact.

you cannot really consult about technical fouls like that in the heat of the moment though.
If you make a mistake then you have to throw the ball in, which can give an advantage to one team or the other depending on what part of the field it occurs.

eg defender appears to touch ball on the ground and you blow for a free in, but following consultation with an umpire it was the incorrect decision so you have to throw the ball in, thus giving an advantage to the attacking team due to field position.

westbound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2015, 07:54:06 PM
See below

you cannot really consult about technical fouls like that in the heat of the moment though.
If you make a mistake then you have to throw the ball in, which can give an advantage to one team or the other depending on what part of the field it occurs.

eg defender appears to touch ball on the ground and you blow for a free in, but following consultation with an umpire it was the incorrect decision so you have to throw the ball in, thus giving an advantage to the attacking team due to field position.

Not necessarily. It's now the case that if the referee stops play (usually for an injury) play should be re-started by the awarding of a free to the team who were in possession at the time of the stoppage. Even if this is a free to the attacking team it is no huge advantage (if they already had possession) because you cannot score directly from such a free.
So if it's possible to stop the game for an injury, I don't see why it's not possible to stop it for another reason (e.g. to consult with an umpire).
I'm not promoting this idea as something that should be overly used, I'm just showing that it's possible.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: westbound on June 26, 2015, 10:10:30 AM
See below

Not necessarily. It's now the case that if the referee stops play (usually for an injury) play should be re-started by the awarding of a free to the team who were in possession at the time of the stoppage. Even if this is a free to the attacking team it is no huge advantage (if they already had possession) because you cannot score directly from such a free.
So if it's possible to stop the game for an injury, I don't see why it's not possible to stop it for another reason (e.g. to consult with an umpire).
I'm not promoting this idea as something that should be overly used, I'm just showing that it's possible.
Under the rules you can only award an indirect free for stopping play due to an injury.

It cannot be used for making an incorrect call and then consulting with linesman or umpire.
So the only option is a hop ball.

westbound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 26, 2015, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 26, 2015, 10:10:30 AM
See below

Under the rules you can only award an indirect free for stopping play due to an injury.

It cannot be used for making an incorrect call and then consulting with linesman or umpire.
So the only option is a hop ball.
Fair enough. I wasn't sure of the wording of the rule. If the wording includes due to injury, then you are spot on.

johnneycool

Has there been a change to the ruling allowing a team to start extra time with 15 men if they'd lost a man in ordinary time;

From Hoganstand;

UCD qualified for the semi finals of the Fitzgibbon Cup thanks to a merited 1-17 to 1-16 victory over IT Carlow tonight.

Played in wet and windy conditions the DJ Carey trained home side looked in a comfortable position at the break. Aided by a late Jack Fagan goal they only trailed 0-8 to 1-1 after playing into the elements.

Carlow dominated the second period and entering the final straight had shot into a 1-9 to 0-10 lead. It was here that UCD showed their true mettle and in a fighting recovery shot three unanswered points to regain that advantage, 0-13 to 1-9.

The south Leinster combination were reduced to 14 men when Waterford inter county star Colin Dunford received his marching orders with minutes remaining but managed to bring the game to extra time, 1-10 to 0-13.

They were still restricted to 14 players in the resulting extra time
as UCD pulled 1-17 to 1-13 clear, their goal coming from Colm Cronin. But in a fighting finish Carlow reduced that advantage to the minimum as a game UCD held on. The Dublin college now join Mary I in the semi finals of the competition. The other two quarter finals take place tomorrow, Wednesday.

UCD - D Holohan; P Hannon, S Murphy, E Conroy; J Madden, C O'Callaghan, C O'Shea (0-1f); H Lawlor, S Moran; J Maher (0-2), C Devitt (0-1), C Cronin (1-3); P Guinan (0-2), O O'Rorke (0-8, 6f, 1'65), J O'Connor. Subs: C McGabhann for S Moran, J Malone for J Madden, J Phelan for C Cronin.

IT Carlow - E Rowland (0-5, 4f, 1'65); K Hannafin, W Young, R Brown; D Healy, M Harney, D Palmer; M Russell (0-2), K Kelly (0-1); C Dwyer (0-2), J Doyle, S Maher (0-5, 4f); C Dunford (0-1), J Fagan (1-0), C Bolger. Subs: T Nolan for S Maher, S Maher for T Nolan, T Nolan for C Bolger, M Kavanagh for T Nolan.

Referee - J Owens.

AZOffaly

The ref was James Owens, so I'd imagine he knows his stuff, but I don't think the rule has changed? I know there was talk about it alright.

westbound

Quote from: johnneycool on February 17, 2016, 09:53:07 AM
Has there been a change to the ruling allowing a team to start extra time with 15 men if they'd lost a man in ordinary time;

From Hoganstand;

UCD qualified for the semi finals of the Fitzgibbon Cup thanks to a merited 1-17 to 1-16 victory over IT Carlow tonight.

Played in wet and windy conditions the DJ Carey trained home side looked in a comfortable position at the break. Aided by a late Jack Fagan goal they only trailed 0-8 to 1-1 after playing into the elements.

Carlow dominated the second period and entering the final straight had shot into a 1-9 to 0-10 lead. It was here that UCD showed their true mettle and in a fighting recovery shot three unanswered points to regain that advantage, 0-13 to 1-9.

The south Leinster combination were reduced to 14 men when Waterford inter county star Colin Dunford received his marching orders with minutes remaining but managed to bring the game to extra time, 1-10 to 0-13.

They were still restricted to 14 players in the resulting extra time
as UCD pulled 1-17 to 1-13 clear, their goal coming from Colm Cronin. But in a fighting finish Carlow reduced that advantage to the minimum as a game UCD held on. The Dublin college now join Mary I in the semi finals of the competition. The other two quarter finals take place tomorrow, Wednesday.

UCD - D Holohan; P Hannon, S Murphy, E Conroy; J Madden, C O'Callaghan, C O'Shea (0-1f); H Lawlor, S Moran; J Maher (0-2), C Devitt (0-1), C Cronin (1-3); P Guinan (0-2), O O'Rorke (0-8, 6f, 1'65), J O'Connor. Subs: C McGabhann for S Moran, J Malone for J Madden, J Phelan for C Cronin.

IT Carlow - E Rowland (0-5, 4f, 1'65); K Hannafin, W Young, R Brown; D Healy, M Harney, D Palmer; M Russell (0-2), K Kelly (0-1); C Dwyer (0-2), J Doyle, S Maher (0-5, 4f); C Dunford (0-1), J Fagan (1-0), C Bolger. Subs: T Nolan for S Maher, S Maher for T Nolan, T Nolan for C Bolger, M Kavanagh for T Nolan.

Referee - J Owens.

The old rule applied last sunday in the ballyboden/clonmel game anyway.

I hadn't heard of any change in the rule.

tyroneman

2.6 Players in Extra Time
(a) Any fifteen players may start Extra Time,
except as provided for in (b) and (d) below.
(b) In an Inter-County Game, any fifteen players on the List submitted to the Referee prior to the game, except as provided for in (d) below, may start Extra Time.
(c) The Referee shall be given a List of the 15 players starting Extra Time, or a Note clearly indicating the changes made from that of
the finishing team in Normal Time. This List/ Note may be in single form but shall otherwise comply with the provisions of Rule 2.5 - List of Players.
(d) A player ordered off in any circumstance in Normal Time, may not play in Extra Time but may be replaced.
(e) Substitutions/Temporary Substitutions shall be allowed during the playing of Extra Time as outlined in Rule 2.4(ii) and (iii).
(f) A Caution (Yellow Card) issued in Normal Time shall not carry over into Extra Time.