Referees Section (All Queries on Rulings Welcomed) No Smart Arses/Tyre Kickers

Started by Offical Line, November 17, 2006, 04:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fionntamhnach

Ok here's one...

A forward is running towards goal with only the keeper to beat. Out of nowhere a defender shoulder tackles the forward, causing him to drop the ball without the defender touching it, and the ball rolls over the goal line without any other player touching it. My understanding is that a forward cannot carry the ball over the goal line or that they can't naturally drop the ball in front of the goal themselves and let the ball roll over the goal line without either them self or another player touching it, so in this case does the goal count as the player was dispossessed or is it that he was still classed as being in possession and that the goal doesn't stand?

MacDanger

As regards the double bounce question, I don't think the drop kick is a foul; a few years ago Liam MacHale did a couple of "basketball bounces" trying to get the ball under control i.e. not taking the ball into his hands while bouncing, and it was later discussed by the RTE "experts" as being legal.

Also, if you bounce the ball and are then tackled and drop the ball, this would be a free under that interpretation.

johnneycool

If a man is solo running and takes the ball into his hand for the second time then drops/throws it onto the ground and takes control of it in his next stride. Are they allowed to continue on or is the drop/throw seen as an illegal handpass?

I seen Mr Leahy from Mullinahone get away with this once and was wondering ever since whether it was legal or not?

aontroim abu

Johhny it is a foul as the throw is classed as a technical foul. how players get away with it is by disguising the "throw" as dropping the ball. how refs get around this is if the ball has forward motion then it cant just have been dropped - forward motion is a throw so blow for the foul. however it is not very often that the refs catch this on

Owenmoresider

QuoteA team is awarded a free kick, the player opts to take it from his hands, the player then kicks the ball and catches it again.  In essence the player has merely soloed it, is this legal and if so can a player kick a ball say 10 yards, catch it again before bouncing and be allowed to take the free kick again?

Regarding this earlier, I don't think there was any answer given. Would like to know the story on this, can the player kick the free forward the necessary distance, then retrieve it and continue playing?

Gabriel_Hurl

4.22 To play the ball again after taking a free kick / penalty / sideline kick before another player has touched it, unless the ball rebounds off the goal-posts/crossbar.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS - (i) Cancel free kick or side-line kick. (ii) Throw in the ball where the foul occurred except as provided under Exception (v) of Rule 2.2.

OakLeaf

Quote from: MacDanger on November 21, 2006, 11:30:31 PM
As regards the double bounce question, I don't think the drop kick is a foul; a few years ago Liam MacHale did a couple of "basketball bounces" trying to get the ball under control i.e. not taking the ball into his hands while bouncing, and it was later discussed by the RTE "experts" as being legal.

Also, if you bounce the ball and are then tackled and drop the ball, this would be a free under that interpretation.

There's a big difference between dropping the ball as a result of a tackle, and dropping it off your own accord when not being tackled. If a tackle causes you to drop the ball then you couldn't be accused of "playing the ball" in order to bounce it but when you are not being tackled and drop the ball then that is playing it because, no-one forced your hand as it were..

The basketball bounce thing is completely different. If the ball comes to me and I don't take it into the hand, I can bounce it all day basketball style. Even when I take it into my hand I still haven't bounced it once in terms of the double bounce rule. I can then bounce it again and not take it into my hand basketball style, but once I take it into my hand this time, I must either take a toe-tap or play it.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 22, 2006, 01:30:05 PM
4.22 To play the ball again after taking a free kick / penalty / sideline kick before another player has touched it, unless the ball rebounds off the goal-posts/crossbar.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS - (i) Cancel free kick or side-line kick. (ii) Throw in the ball where the foul occurred except as provided under Exception (v) of Rule 2.2.

Yep. Notice that doesn't apply to kick-outs so the keeper could dribble the whole way up the field so long as he doesn't take it into his hands (I wouldn't fancy his chances of getting very far).

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteYep. Notice that doesn't apply to kick-outs so the keeper could dribble the whole way up the field so long as he doesn't take it into his hands (I wouldn't fancy his chances of getting very far).

It doesn't just apply to the keeper - it also applies to a defender if he's kicking it out

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: OakLeaf on November 22, 2006, 07:40:27 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 22, 2006, 01:30:05 PM

Yep. Notice that doesn't apply to kick-outs so the keeper could dribble the whole way up the field so long as he doesn't take it into his hands (I wouldn't fancy his chances of getting very far).
So in theory (s)he could scoop the ball up into a a position to basketball-like dribble and then before being challenged kick the ball away?

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

REDCOL

Was at a Senior Championship game last weekend, there was a scramble in around the goals and referee awarded free out. Attacking player pleaded that defender picked ball on small square. Referee consulted with umpire and changed his decision to a penalty. Is the umpire permitted to call technical fouls within the current playing rules

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: REDCOL on June 25, 2015, 08:26:13 AM
Was at a Senior Championship game last weekend, there was a scramble in around the goals and referee awarded free out. Attacking player pleaded that defender picked ball on small square. Referee consulted with umpire and changed his decision to a penalty. Is the umpire permitted to call technical fouls within the current playing rules
No

Which is kind of silly.
As technical fouls are as important as foul play

Esmarelda

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2015, 09:14:17 AM
No

Which is kind of silly.
As technical fouls are as important as foul play
Are the linesmen allowed?

Canalman

Only referee can call it.

Extra pair of eyes very helpful though in making the calls. Seems the correct call was made. Wonder if the defender who made the mistake got any flak.