Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

Thats the old stadium is it not?

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Onion Bag on December 09, 2009, 12:16:38 PM
Pretty impressive alright Galls, would make a great spectacle, somewhere different

Jeyes! That work on Casement has come on big time.

Rav67

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 09, 2009, 12:05:30 PM
Would be great to see it in a big stadium and away from Vegas.

Mayweather said he wants to fight in England as well before he retires. A few more big pay days. Could you blame him though?

After Pac-man the worthy fights for Mayweather would be - Cotto and Mosley at welterweight, and possibly Paul Williams at light-middle if he decided to move up again.  Cotto's lost his appeal a bit now so probably one of the other 2 and doubt it would be outside USA.  I can't imagine he'd come to England unless he was going to fight Hatton, and I hope he isn't considering that.

Declan

'In 1997 I played under-16 for Tipperary'

SPORTING PASSIONS MATTHEW MACKLIN (Boxer): MATTHEW MACKLIN defeated Finland's Amin Asikainen at the Manchester Velodrome on September 25th to win the vacant European middleweight title.

Promoted by Meath's Brian Peters and raised in Birmingham by Irish parents, Macklin was also a talented hurler with Tipperary and played at underage levels with the county before concentrating on boxing.

In March, he ended rival Wayne Elcock's British title reign with a third round KO, and then in September he followed that up with a sensational, first-round destruction of former European champ Asikainen. The impressive double has seen Macklin shoot up the world rankings and he is now rated fourth with the WBO, fifth with the IBF and eighth with the WBC.

"My mum is from Tipperary and my dad is from Roscommon. In our house Gaelic games were the big sports when I was growing up and I suppose dad generated the interest in me from an early age.

"Every Sunday in Birmingham I headed off with my dad and played at underage levels. Sean McDermotts was my club from a young age and dad was heavily involved in everything there.

"In fact I had started playing hurling and football even before I began to play soccer.

"I suppose that would have been a bit unusual for a boy growing up in Birmingham. But I've always considered myself to be Irish and didn't play soccer until I was seven or eight years old.

"I'd always hit around with a hurley from the age of two or three, and when I was five I could do things with a hurley stick that kids in Ireland couldn't even do.

"Every summer holidays I'd go over to Ireland and down to Four Roads (Roscommon), and at Christmas too, so it felt very natural for me to be playing football or hurling as we were part of a very close-knit Irish community.

"Then one summer, when my dad was working on the Channel Tunnel, we went down to Dover for the summer holidays and stayed in this caravan park close to where he was located on the tunnel. The people who were next door to us in the same park came from Ballingarry in Tipperary.

"They had a son who was mad into hurling and my dad, even though Roscommon is a football place, was also interested because Four Roads is a big hurling area.

"I made friends there with Keith and we soon became best friends.

"Whenever I went over to Thurles during the summer holidays, I'd stay six or seven weeks and spend time in Ballingarry, where I also played hurling with the club. I was selected for the Tony Forristal Under-14 tournament for Tipperary at wing back, but I had already played for Warwickshire that year in the Féile na nGael and you couldn't play for two counties in the one year, so that was the end of that.

"Even in England all the videos of the big matches in Ireland used to be sent over to us and we'd watch all of them. I marked Eoin Kelly at under-12 and under-14s and we remain really close friends now.

"Eoin now is one of the big names on the Tipperary senior team. He's been a fantastic player with them for years. Other big names in Tipperary hurling like John Leahy and Nicky English were heroes of mine when I was growing up in the 90s. I know Leahy well.

"In 1997 I played under-16 for Tipperary. It was like a tournament format over a weekend and we played against three teams. We met Cork down in Riverstick as well as Limerick and Waterford and I've great memories of it. I came over to Ireland for the Munster final this year and I still try to watch as much as I can.

"I couldn't get to the All-Ireland final this year because I was training for the European title fight and I wanted to stick to my normal routine in the gym. Otherwise I would have come over.

"We can see all of the matches on RTÉ anyway, so it is no problem keeping in touch with what is going on.

"Also I still have a lot of family around Four Roads as my dad's two sisters live there and my grandmother, Margaret. I know a lot of people in Ireland, most of them involved with GAA, and now also boxing as well."

gallsman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8403896.stm.

"Heavyweight title fights should be huge events, not an after-thought in a country most famous for producing Toblerones."

- Haye's getting better at this trash talking lark. I'd love to see Floyd try and come up with something like that!

Archie Mitchell

Rogie wants to fight David Haye when he recovers from injury. He said that Haye told him when he won the world title, Rogie would get a shot. Even mentioned Croke Park. Also still very bitter towards Sam Sexton. Called him a punk, and said he couldn't put a crowd in a chip shop :D

Minder

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 18, 2009, 09:08:12 PM
Rogie wants to fight David Haye when he recovers from injury. He said that Haye told him when he won the world title, Rogie would get a shot. Even mentioned Croke Park. Also still very bitter towards Sam Sexton. Called him a punk, and said he couldn't put a crowd in a chip shop :D

I would say he does alright, a last payday. No chance.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hurler on the Bitch

Don't knock Rogie.

I would argue that Martin at his best could take Ali! (Even though Ali is 69 and has debilitating health problems).

Archie Mitchell

Floyd Mayweather's fight with Manny Pacquiao in doubt

Floyd Mayweather Jr's camp claim the American's planned super fight with Manny Pacquiao is now "in jeopardy".

Mayweather and the Filipino star were close to agreeing a 13 March meeting.

But the American's camp say they have been told by Pacquiao's promoters that he will not agree to blood-testing in the 30 days prior to the fight.

"He, Pacquiao, would only agree to have blood drawn before the kick-off press conference and after the fight," said Mayweather associate Richard Schaefer.

"It is unfortunate to hear this from Manny Pacquiao's representatives, particularly since, as of today, both parties had worked out all other issues related to this fight."

Unbeaten Mayweather's management want both men - regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world - to submit to blood-testing prior to the bout, to ensure both men are clean.

Schaefer, who is chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions, added: "Todd (DuBoef, president of Pacquiao's promoters Top Rank) told me that Pacquiao has difficulty with taking blood and doesn't want to do it so close to the fight."

Mayweather, 32, urged 31-year-old Pacquiao to agree to the blood testing.

"I understand Pacquiao not liking having his blood taken, because frankly I don't know anyone who really does," said Mayweather.

"But in a fight of this magnitude, I think it is our responsibility to subject ourselves to sportsmanship at the highest level."

The welterweight fight, which would be the richest of all time, had widely been expected to be formalised this week, with an official announcement on 6 January.

It was expected to be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The Staples Center in Los Angeles, home of the NBA's Lakers was also touted as a possible venue and representatives of the New Orleans Superdome were also said to be interested in hosting arguably the biggest fight since the turn of the century.

Filipino Pacquiao became a five-weight world champion following his WBO welterweight title win over Miguel Cotto in November, while Las Vegas-based Mayweather returned from a 21-month retirement to beat Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in September.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8427743.stm

There is always some sort of difficulty with Pacman when arranging fights.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Minder on December 18, 2009, 09:10:22 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 18, 2009, 09:08:12 PM

I would say he does alright, a last payday. No chance.

Another fight with Audley Harrison would be a more realistic target for a final payday for Rogie I would have thought.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Archie Mitchell

Mayweather's fight with Pacquiao is off. Couldn't agree terms regarding this blood testing.

Archie Mitchell

Mayweather Pacquiao fight definately off. Pacquiao confirmed he will be fighting Joshua Clottey in March instead. Surely Mayweather is the only option for Pacquiao to fight, if he wants to be tested and be considered one of the greatest. Does blood testing so close to a fight have such an impact on a fighter. Hopefully it will happen later in the year.

Galwaybhoy

If there is one thing I hate about the sport of boxing is that there is no guarantee that you will see the big fights happening.  This blood testing wasn't a big deal in past fights these two were involved in.  Does Mayweather always look for this when he fights or is he just looking for excuses so as not to fight.  I read else where that Pacquiao does not want to be having blood tests so close to the fight as it will sap his strength.

CiKe

he certainly aint going for easy fights. Clottey isn't in Mayweather's class  but is a tank with an excellent chin, who gave Cotto hell. Pacman obviously ate Cotto up but Clottey has a better engine and should make the fight interesting, although he is likely to absorb a lot of punishment for what will surely be his biggest payday.

Re the postpontment of Pacman and PBF, seems Mayweather is insisting on something which is never done. Pacman's stated excuse however I think is poor - it's not like he is being asked to give a pint of blood. Seems to be mind games on PBF's part and Pacman just doesn't want to give him even that.

Galwaybhoy

Is Mayewather dodging the fight?  He has it all to lose, he was pound for pound the best in the world before he retired, very few World Champions can say they finished unbeaten, he is one of the biggest names of the last 20 years, he loses and there goes his unbeaten record which I'm sure he holds so dearly.

On the other hand you have Pacquiao who would be the big underdog if the two were to meet, he has nothing to lose, he has been beaten and come back.  He may be regarded as the pound for pound best in the world after Mayweather retired but most people will not be expecting him to win this fight.  The man has nothing to lose but if he were to win, only then could he be considered one of the all time greats.

Just why is Mayweather insisting on this blood testing if it is not the norm?  Is he scared if Pacman.