Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on September 26, 2009, 11:22:49 PM
Devastating to see, though he looked good in the first round. What age is Dunne?

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Donnellys Hollow

Dunne is a very likeable character but he has a glass jaw and he's always liable to get caught like that against a class fighter.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 26, 2009, 11:33:27 PM
Dunne is a very likeable character but he has a glass jaw and he's always liable to get caught like that against a class fighter.

Unfortunately yes. He's actually done very well to even win a world title with that chin of his. Realistically he has no KO power and any half decent dig is likely to send him to the canvas. Martinez clocked him, Poonswat clocked him and Cordoba decked him more than once. No punch resistance at all and if you have no punch power you better be able to take a shot.

INDIANA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 27, 2009, 03:47:49 AM

Unfortunately yes. He's actually done very well to even win a world title with that chin of his. Realistically he has no KO power and any half decent dig is likely to send him to the canvas. Martinez clocked him, Poonswat clocked him and Cordoba decked him more than once. No punch resistance at all and if you have no punch power you better be able to take a shot.

Still was  a world champion  and no-one can take that away from him. Looks like he struggled to make the weight to me. Knew from watching the 2 fighters walk into the ring he was up against it. The muscle definition on the Thai boxer was a different level. Bernard looks too skinny- really should be a featherweight- struggling to make weights blunts your power- and he hasn't a huge amount of that anyway.
Thai boxer is one of the best I've ever seen. 39 fights- 38 wins- 29 by knockout- you won't find a better record anywhere in the world

Madge

How did Stevie Haughian do?

edit to say its ok, Paddy Power have results up, anyone know how the Haughian fight went apart from the result?

QuoteBernard Dunne v Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym
   Result: Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym    

Tyson Fury v Tomas Mrazek
   Result: Tyson Fury    

Jamie Power v Michael Sweeney
   Result: Michael Sweeney    

Stephen Haughian v Albert Starikov
   Result: Draw    

Patrick Hyland v David Kiilu
   Result: Patrick Hyland    

glens73

Quote from: INDIANA on September 27, 2009, 09:54:30 AM

Still was  a world champion  and no-one can take that away from him. Looks like he struggled to make the weight to me. Knew from watching the 2 fighters walk into the ring he was up against it. The muscle definition on the Thai boxer was a different level. Bernard looks too skinny- really should be a featherweight- struggling to make weights blunts your power- and he hasn't a huge amount of that anyway.
Thai boxer is one of the best I've ever seen. 39 fights- 38 wins- 29 by knockout- you won't find a better record anywhere in the world

Poonsawat does look good, but if he is to be the true no1 in the super-bantamweight division, he has some extremely tough opposition such as Vazquez, Marquez, Caballero and Juan Manuel Lopez. Bernard Dunne is not at that level and has done exceptionally well to even gain a portion of the WBA title (Caballero is the "super" champion").
I couldn't believe how Dave McAuley couldn't see that first punch, that was the finisher, as Dunne looked fecked after that, he actually did well to last a bit longer. Dunne said he shouldn't have got drawn into Poonsawat's fight but he had no choice, he was being walked down, he didn't have enough power to keep him off. He'll struggle to come back from this, but he has done exceptionally well to get where he was, no Irish fighter since Steve Collins has been at this level.

SLIGONIAN

Disapointing result last night.

Question for yee, i know what glass jaw means and all that, but why can some fellas take hits and others not? Just doesnt make any sense to me as bone structure and human frailities are all the same? Look at khan everyone said he a glass after getting KOd and then he comes back better and able to take hits....
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

glens73

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 27, 2009, 10:52:17 AM
Disapointing result last night.

Question for yee, i know what glass jaw means and all that, but why can some fellas take hits and others not? Just doesnt make any sense to me as bone structure and human frailities are all the same? Look at khan everyone said he a glass after getting KOd and then he comes back better and able to take hits....

You either have it or you don't.

Khan has come back smarter and his defence has improved, but if he gets hit like he did against Prescott again then he'd get ko'd.

gallsman

If Bernard was struggled to make the weight then he's in even bigger trouble than he was last night. He wouldn't have a chance against any of the top featherweights like Chris John or de Leon.

You've seen him in one fight and declare him as one of the best you've ever seen? Bold statement.

The Watcher Pat

He was good but you really only seen about 3 mins of him really boxing in the fight....Dunne is average to say the best about him. The only reason he beat Cordoba was because it was in the o2 the same day as Ireland won the grand slam with a big passionate home crowd. Cordoba had him on his arse twice and should have finished it off.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

INDIANA

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2009, 11:02:15 AM

If Bernard was struggled to make the weight then he's in even bigger trouble than he was last night. He wouldn't have a chance against any of the top featherweights like Chris John or de Leon.

You've seen him in one fight and declare him as one of the best you've ever seen? Bold statement.

I've seen him in 3 fights- they are all online- readily available for anyone to see. Marquez and Co won't be queueing up to fight this guy. Some of them have avoided him. He has incredible punching power for an 8st 9lbs fighter.

INDIANA

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2009, 11:02:15 AM

Hence the reason why he's a super bantamweight. I agree he wouldn't have a chance as a featherweight but nevertheless to me that looks like his proper weight. I was there last night and the difference between the 2 fighters in terms of pure muscle was incredible. Dunne nearly looked over-trained. The lower weight divisions in my view are the hardest of all. The Mexican's , latin americans, thai boxers all had to fight from a young age just to get breakfast in the morning. Transfer that to a boxing ring and there is only one winner in my view.
Dunne would need to beat the mandatory challenger in one of the divisions to get a shot again. 2 years at least- not sure he should put himself through that again. Corboda was 2 rounds up when Dunne knocked him out. People have tended to gloss over that.

Rav67

I like Dunne and I don't wish to rein on his achievements but he was never really a proper world champion.  He was the runner-up WBA champion after their ridiculous policy of promoting Caballero to "super-champion" involving him vacating the belt.  Super-bantam is the best division there is at the moment, and Dunne would probably just about be in the top 10 fighters in it.  He never had a hope in hells chance of beating the Thai.

Rav67

Quote from: Gaffer on September 26, 2009, 11:21:58 PM
Some co-commentator is Dave Boy. About the only one watching who didn t see the first punch

Dave Boy's an awful shite analyst.

cville

Agree totally. Dave Boy didn't see the first two punches that floored Dunne. What were RTE paying him for? The silence from Magee etc after he hit the canvas was deafening. Outclassed totally - and now Peters is talking about a comeback! Brian - that cash cow has been milked! Retire with what dignity please. Please don't think that Tyson Fury will pack out the O2 . The game is up!