Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Time flies didn't realise this was on already.

First fight was a great fight, and after having started slowly in a couple fights and having never started at all against Cory Spinks, Taylor came out pretty fast and almost had him away. He knows he can knock him out which will be psychologically important.

Of course, things didn't go to plan and as the fight wore on, Pavlik's huge heart and massive right began to become important factors. The fight was correctly stopped, but it has largely been forgotten that Taylor wasn't in any sort of trouble prior to that point - yes he was being caught, but dont think anyone expected the KO the way it happened - spectacular and fairly brutal. Taylor is without shadow a doubt the better boxer, equally Pavlik definitely a better fighter. In this type of scenario always inclined to go with the brains over brawn and the ring smarts to win the day.

Taylor by split decision in a fight where he is required to show more heart than he ever has in his career so far.

Declan

Well Pavlick by unanimous decision. He's a tough fighter who I think would beat Duddy

bridgegael

i underestimated pavlik,  he won pretty convincinly.  he may not knock duddy out, but the way duddy tends to cut would be a big worry for me.  duddy will definately fancy his chances as pavlik is well suited for him.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

glens73

Quote from: bridgegael on February 17, 2008, 11:12:04 AM
i underestimated pavlik,  he won pretty convincinly.  he may not knock duddy out, but the way duddy tends to cut would be a big worry for me.  duddy will definately fancy his chances as pavlik is well suited for him.

I'd disagree Bridgegael, Pavlik will destroy Duddy, he's on a different level. Obviosuly Duddy has a punchers chance and he needs to get to him early, otherwise he's in trouble. I fear he could get badly hurt.

I had Pavlik winning by a point against Taylor who threw the classier punches but seemed fearful of applying too much pressure in case it went the same way as the first contest.

Rav67

Duddy has a decent chin (he needs to given how much he lets himself get hit) but would still be shocked if he managed to go the distance against Pavlik.  Thought the fight last night was closer than it was scored, I thought it was pretty much level until the last 2 rounds.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rav67 on February 17, 2008, 04:07:13 PM
Duddy has a decent chin (he needs to given how much he lets himself get hit) but would still be shocked if he managed to go the distance against Pavlik.  Thought the fight last night was closer than it was scored, I thought it was pretty much level until the last 2 rounds.

Me too. I had it 115 - 113. Taylor got off most of the best shots, but Pavlik was more consistant, and almost always on the front foot. If he could have found the body earlier, I think he'd have stopped Taylor.

Very good fight though. Just shows you the level Andy Lee has to get to. Not there yet by a long chalk I think.

mayo51

had the fight 115 to 113 for pavelik.cannot see duddy going the distance with pavelik as he will take too much punishment.i thought taylor fought a good fight but if a fighter with his speed and power cannot beat pavelik how is duddy going to beat him as he is a few notches below taylor in terms of talent and boxing skill?

Puckoon

How do you boys score these fights when watching them on the tv? Just marks out of 10 for the rounds? I notice sometimes the judges marking the cards 8s, 9s and 10s for most of the rounds. What happens when its a top notch fight versus a crap one? Does the average of the marks decrease - or are these the numbers generally awarded to the fighters regardless of the standard of the fight.

I dont mind admitting I havnt a notion. But I did break both my hands in the ring once...

The refs kept stepping on them  :-\

AZOffaly

Quote from: Puckoon on February 18, 2008, 04:21:21 AM
How do you boys score these fights when watching them on the tv? Just marks out of 10 for the rounds? I notice sometimes the judges marking the cards 8s, 9s and 10s for most of the rounds. What happens when its a top notch fight versus a crap one? Does the average of the marks decrease - or are these the numbers generally awarded to the fighters regardless of the standard of the fight.

I dont mind admitting I havnt a notion. But I did break both my hands in the ring once...

The refs kept stepping on them  :-\

The general standard is 10 points if you win the round, 9 points if you lose it, but nothing major happens. If you take a right tanking in the round you can lose it 10-8. Also if you are knocked down, it's 10-8. 2 knock downs is 10-7.

If the round is very tight it can be a draw (10-10).

In the pavlik fight, I had Pavlik winning 7 rounds, and Taylor winning 5. (That's 7*10 + 5*9 versus 5*10 + 7*9) That gave me 115 v 113.

Gabriel_Hurl

I see Pretty Boy Floyd is back in the ring again - this time a Professional Wrestling ring

Yer Ma

Heard Duddy was terrible on Saturday despite getting a win. He really is a journeyman who has managed to get himself a career above his station, based on NY's fondness of the Irish, and the fact he seems a decent spud.

AZOffaly

I saw the fight last night, and if Duddy shows such a blatant disregard for the basics of defensive boxing such as keeping your guard up, moving your head and moving your feet, he will be absolutely mauled by Pavlik.

He does seem to have a great chin, because some of the belts he took seemed to be good shots, but Pavlik has power as well, and I wouldn't fancy beating Pavlik if my tactic was to lead with my chin.

Also, like Lee, Duddy cuts up. Unlike Lee, he puts himself in position to be hit often, so he doesn't help himself. The cut he got under his left eye on Saturday should arguably have stopped the fight, and that would have been slán to Irish John Duddy as a serious title challenger.

I hope it was just over confidence, because Pavlik would have destroyed him on Saturday.

The heavyweight fight with Klitschko afterwards was a load of muck. Klitschko was cagey out, he should have stopped that lad in 4 or 5 rounds. I think he's actually afraid to get hit.

Declan

Yeah Duddy was stupid alright - Leading with the chin is never a smart option. I'd say he'll be out for a while now to let those eyes recover.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 19, 2008, 06:49:14 PM
I see Pretty Boy Floyd is back in the ring again - this time a Professional Wrestling ring

and he's getting $20 million for it

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/ap_en_tv/box_wrestling_mayweather

the Deel Rover

all right lads thinking of bringing my dad to Bernard dunnes fight in Breaffy house in castlebar ok i know ringside are the best seats ( €155 yo yo a pop bit too dear methinks)  but what would be next best after that, tiered , flat? they are on sale at www.ticketmaster.ie 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001