Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downtheroad

Not a hope Rathdowney or Kilcotton would have titles on their own. I don't think this amalgamation will go through  as the vote  will require 3 logical/rational people out of 4 to vote for it  to counteract the high level of head bangers who probably do nothing from one end of year to next.

Don Draper

Quote from: Downtheroad on December 09, 2018, 11:53:22 AM
Not a hope Rathdowney or Kilcotton would have titles on their own. I don't think this amalgamation will go through  as the vote  will require 3 logical/rational people out of 4 to vote for it  to counteract the high level of head bangers who probably do nothing from one end of year to next.
That seems a bit harsh. Only paid up members can vote, I doubt too many are what you describe as headbangers. I very much doubt anyone behind this amalgamation are headbangers either, and you can be sure the top tables arent. They are people who will have looked long and hard and the pros and cons, the ones who know what way the underage is in either club. to call them headbangers is disingenuous.

clonadmad

All will be revealed by 11 tonight

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on December 09, 2018, 12:44:43 PM
All will be revealed by 11 tonight
This is like I'm a celebrity get me out of here. I wonder will they overlap?

burdizzo

Quote from: clonadmad on December 04, 2018, 05:11:14 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on December 04, 2018, 02:00:45 PM
Yeah, but I saw a lad on the Laois minor panel listed as being from Slieve Margy, so...? They're in with Park-Ratheniska/ Timahoe/ Graiguecullen in at least some juvenile levels. Unfortunate for Ratheniska, as it means leaving a lot of their own lads on the  line.

Was wondering that myself

Do you know how many ratheniska lads are being left on the line ?

I remember asking someone in the know from Margy did they have anyone from Graigue and they didn't anymore

I do always have a good laugh when I hear the football crew on here bemoaning the lack of opportunities for footballers in hurling clubs when at worst they have an outlet in Junior.

The reality is that large tracts of this county are a hurling desert.

There were at least five left on the line in their last championship match.

Don Draper

Is this like the time a few weeks ago when you told us all those Rathdowney boys werent going back into the Laois senior panel?

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on December 09, 2018, 01:06:42 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 04, 2018, 05:11:14 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on December 04, 2018, 02:00:45 PM
Yeah, but I saw a lad on the Laois minor panel listed as being from Slieve Margy, so...? They're in with Park-Ratheniska/ Timahoe/ Graiguecullen in at least some juvenile levels. Unfortunate for Ratheniska, as it means leaving a lot of their own lads on the  line.

Was wondering that myself

Do you know how many ratheniska lads are being left on the line ?

I remember asking someone in the know from Margy did they have anyone from Graigue and they didn't anymore

I do always have a good laugh when I hear the football crew on here bemoaning the lack of opportunities for footballers in hurling clubs when at worst they have an outlet in Junior.

The reality is that large tracts of this county are a hurling desert.

There were at least five left on the line in their last championship match.

The u15 County Final?

Theres always going to be an issue with giving lads a run in a county final

clonadmad

Ye can all rest easy

It's not a runner

Abbeyleix says no

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on December 09, 2018, 09:20:42 PM
Ye can all rest easy

It's not a runner

Abbeyleix says no
Still, the boxing was good fun

BallyroanAbbey

Bud Wiser

Makes Ballinakill look a tad embarrassed I think. They voted very strongly (except for 15) in favour) and now Abbeyleix don't want them by an equally large majority with less than 20 in favour. The only thing I would hope for now is that there is no fallout in either club but I can't understand how a few good tally men and a few soundings could not have avoided the whole process.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

LooseCannon

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 09, 2018, 10:52:08 PM
Makes Ballinakill look a tad embarrassed I think. They voted very strongly (except for 15) in favour) and now Abbeyleix don't want them by an equally large majority with less than 20 in favour. The only thing I would hope for now is that there is no fallout in either club but I can't understand how a few good tally men and a few soundings could not have avoided the whole process.

You'd be surprised. A mood can shift on the night. A realisation that your club ceases to exist.
Has happened in OY before. Then again unfortunately these dreadful mergers have happened, too often for my liking, to the detriment of both the initial clubs. Lost identity, dilution of tradition.

clonadmad

Result of Ballinakill vote

72 In Favour
15 Against.

Result of Abbeyleix vote

17 In Favour
48 Against'.

Downtheroad

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 09, 2018, 11:00:37 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 09, 2018, 10:52:08 PM

You'd be surprised. A mood can shift on the night. A realisation that your club ceases to exist.
Has happened in OY before. Then again unfortunately these dreadful mergers have happened, too often for my liking, to the detriment of both the initial clubs. Lost identity, dilution of tradition.
The fact that more turned up at the Ballinakill meeting is interesting. Abbeyleix on paper is a much bigger club  but has a smaller hardcore which doesn't surprise me. My take on it is that Ballinakill know they have a problem in the long run and were prepared to do.something about it now. I imagine that Abbeyleix on the night took the view that they will survive one way or another. Funny enough, I think they are going to be wrong on that one as the shift in the parish will be to football.

Bud Wiser

The shift in the parish is one thing, the fact that there are a majority of members of the two clubs who want to form a new club is the problem. So what they should be doing now is accepting the vote outcome and getting in there and becoming more involved with their existing club.
Both clubs are capable of reaching  a senior final and both have a bit of pride in that they remain two of the few clubs that have not amalgamated. It's not all about winning a county final, particularly if it has to be won the way this year's was won.

What it is about is getting young lads to enjoy playing hurling and for each club to go on and produce a few players for their county. Both clubs have done this in the past, (Eugene/Kevin Fennelly,  Maggie Walsh, etc) and can do it again.  It's not the make up of the two clubs in terms of players being available that is the problem here, the problem is the county board don't give a shit about hurling compared to football. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"