The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LooseCannon

Keyser Söze

Realistically we are not going to get an proven name, unless they are here for a pay cheque. We are not a safe bet to maintain their reputation and there is no evidence (underage, club etc) to suggest we are about to improve.
McGrath, Hogan, Tommy Dunne, Daly etc won't be coming here.

We have three choices;

1) A local- Delaney, Rigney, Cuddy, O' Sullivan

2) A journeyman- Eamon Kelly, Fintan O' Connor, Colm Bonnar, Kevin Ryan et al

3) An up and coming- Hard to find! Usually would be someone from an established hurling county who wants to make a name for himself.  Somebody involved in the club/third level scene. Very hard to get one of these who isn't an early entry into category two above.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SpeculativeEffort

Harsh on Bonnar. He has brought Carlow on a lot. All outside managers are not journeymen. Sometimes players just dont buy into what they are doing. Michael Ryan has also done very well with Westmeath. In fact all of Carlow, Westmeath and Kerry beat us with 'journeymen' outside managers. 

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on June 25, 2018, 11:06:28 PM
Realistically we are not going to get an proven name, unless they are here for a pay cheque. We are not a safe bet to maintain their reputation and there is no evidence (underage, club etc) to suggest we are about to improve.

We have three choices;

3) An up and coming- Hard to find! Usually would be someone from an established hurling county who wants to make a name for himself.  Somebody involved in the club/third level scene. Very hard to get one of these who isn't an early entry into category two above.
I'd like to see us have a go at a category 3 guy.
Jamie Wall is very impressive. He's the Cork guy who's wheelchair bound after a freak spinal infection. Only mid 20's. Would be a left field shout if we went for him.

blueandwhite1

We have three choices;

The closest to a Cheddar character would probably be Arien Delaney. Someone who is invested in the county and knows the club scene inside out. He also got the most out of Camross during his time there so knows how to have a team prepared. I often felt Camross beat many teams that had better hurlers because of how they were set up and approached matches.

Again - it is still not the most important thing. Who is being given the job of looking after our underage development? This is far more critical to our future. The primary goal of our clubs and hurling board should be to get Laois competitive against top teams in Feiles and the other juvenile competitions. Except for the occasional win (last years U14s for example) we are well off the pace.

clonadmad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 26, 2018, 12:00:27 PM

We have three choices;

The closest to a Cheddar character would probably be Arien Delaney. Someone who is invested in the county and knows the club scene inside out. He also got the most out of Camross during his time there so knows how to have a team prepared. I often felt Camross beat many teams that had better hurlers because of how they were set up and approached matches.

Again - it is still not the most important thing. Who is being given the job of looking after our underage development? This is far more critical to our future. The primary goal of our clubs and hurling board should be to get Laois competitive against top teams in Feiles and the other juvenile competitions. Except for the occasional win (last years U14s for example) we are well off the pace.

Rosenallis won feile div2 last year
Abbeyleix won feile div2 in 2016
Castletown made the div2 semifinals this year

Laois clubs have been consistently competitive across the divisions in feile in the past few years

We can more than hold our own in Juvenile club competitions,where we fall down is that we lack the depth and spread of clubs producing hurlers in inter county competitions,until we have a minimum of 12/14 hurling clubs pushing 2/3 high standard hurlers into Juvenile development squads,we are only threading water.

Also a county wide Juvenile club S+C program needs to be put in place and adhered to,we are so far behind,it's frightening

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on June 26, 2018, 08:37:42 AM
Harsh on Bonnar. He has brought Carlow on a lot. All outside managers are not journeymen. Sometimes players just dont buy into what they are doing. Michael Ryan has also done very well with Westmeath. In fact all of Carlow, Westmeath and Kerry beat us with 'journeymen' outside managers.

I never said they all were. I certainly never said Michael Ryan was!
I stand by my assessment of Bonnar.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on June 26, 2018, 02:09:04 PM

Laois clubs have been consistently competitive across the divisions in feile in the past few years

This might matter if these players come through in 4/5 years. It's hardly going to attract Derek McGrath this year?

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on June 26, 2018, 03:28:54 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 26, 2018, 02:09:04 PM

This might matter if these players come through in 4/5 years. It's hardly going to attract Derek McGrath this year?

My comment was in relation to blue and whites comments about our performances in feile.

Also Derek McGrath ain't coming,dream all you want but no outsider of substance is going to tarnish their reputation by taking on this role.

Give the Job to Delaney and get programs in place now for 2019

finbar o tool

Heard something about Delaney bringing in Johnny Kelly as coach with him if he gets the job, that would be good, he has good experience and a good track record. Anyone hear that? These days your coaching staff is as important as the manager, as far as i know Eamonn Kelly did no coaching! I believe Davy Hogan was well liked this year he might stay on if asked? Jamie Wall would be great too if he'd do it.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

merman

Quote from: finbar o tool on June 26, 2018, 08:17:32 PM
Heard something about Delaney bringing in Johnny Kelly as coach with him if he gets the job, that would be good, he has good experience and a good track record. Anyone hear that? These days your coaching staff is as important as the manager, as far as i know Eamonn Kelly did no coaching! I believe Davy Hogan was well liked this year he might stay on if asked? Jamie Wall would be great too if he'd do it.

I've heard Arien is extremely interested and has already sounded out a possible backroom team.

If true, he's obviously gotten encouragement from someone on the selection committee or the County Board.

He's the outstanding candidate as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know Davy Hogan but I'd prefer a clean break from last year. The players liking him isn't a particularly strong vote of confidence in my books.

redsetanta

To you lads who know what's going on in hurling circles would Delaney be a good appointment  for Laois hurling. Would the clubs be happy with his appointment.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

Quote from: finbar o tool on June 26, 2018, 08:17:32 PM

Johnny Kelly would be a good outside coach to have involved,a promising galway career wrecked by shoulder injury,managed Portumna to their last all ireland,involved since with the likes of the Galway u21's and Borrisoleigh,big emphasis with him on getting the defensive set up right.