Tony, Pat - 'Hammerings' are part of sport

Started by Solo Run, May 19, 2008, 08:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

Martin McHugh eh  ::)

That was a good Cavan team in 97. McHugh sure got alot out of Cavan and I am not talking about the Players

haranguerer

We shoulda beat them, and would have but for Mickey Graham coming off the bench. Presumably the notorious cavan folk saw it as an investment - they must have thought they could sell off the cup for a profit. ;)

ludermor

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2008, 10:58:40 AM
and Sligo will be division 4 next year despite being Connacht champions,

Jeez AZ you must be listening to Sligoian too much

AZOffaly

Despite being current Connacht champions, which they are. I wasn't making any outlandish predictions :D

Main Street

Carlow got hammered. A defeat like that would send me to the outer reaches of despair.

It depends on how they respond to it, that's what the sport is also about - responding to challenges,
even seemingly impossible ones :)

Uladh

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 19, 2008, 10:53:51 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how much store people put on league form despite oceans of evidence that this is not the right way to judge things. League form means next to nothing.

I'd take you up only on the use of the phrase "next to" when you should have used "absolutely"

Shamrock Shore

It's only a couple of years ago Longford got an almighty tanking in Croke Park by the Dubs. Only Tyrone's hammering of Cavan exceeded it in the entire championship. 2005 I think it was.

Madness calling for the likes of Carlow to withdraw from serious competition

magpie seanie

QuoteI'd take you up only on the use of the phrase "next to" when you should have used "absolutely"

I'm trying to be a bit mellower!

cornafean

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 19, 2008, 12:38:52 PM
Tyrone's hammering of Cavan ... 2005 I think it was.

...following which Cavan happened to bounce back and won their next 2 qualifier games before finally being beaten narrowly by Mayo for a place in the quarter-finals.

Often its more a matter of how you react to a bad experience than the experience itself.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

INDIANA

carlow can't get their best players out for the county team due to internal problems. that's a public fact. if they got their full whack out they'd give most leinster counties a game. you can't compete without 8-9 of your best players. that's the real reason they were slaughtered rather than banning them from the championship.

neilthemac

ros got hammered yesterday

we'll still be back next year, and the year after, and year after that...

thejuice

Well,  i was thinking the same thing. someone has to be bottom of the pile. We cant keep changing everything everytime someone gets a hammering. Look at the hurling championship, the reason teams are getting milled out of it is because they are shite. Constantly shifting the championship structure every other year is doing nothing only turning the competition into a farce. If you want to beat teams like Kilkenny or Kerry you have to be more skillful, fitter, athletic, determined & more tactically astute. Nothing to do with the number of games.

Not the standard of opposition, its the standard you set yourself
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Owenmoresider

Agree with most of the above, just cos a team ships a heavy beating like Carlow did, doesn't mean they should be discarded from the competiiton. As the Carlow poster (can't remember his name) was saying before, they have a lot of problems, so we aren't seeing them at their best, after all two of their better players are playing for Wicklow and in Oz. Sure we were just like that 20-odd years ago, if Rossies think they got a hiding yesterday, twas nothing on the massacre of our lot in 1990. Within a decade we were going well, in Connacht finals and beating Kerry and Dublin in the league, and by 2002 were tilting at the big one.

It won't happen for everyone but giving up because you are getting beatings repeatedly is no use either. Our own club is a great example as any Sligo poster will agree, were amongst the very worst anywhere in the land results-wise circa 2000 (losing by 43 points to a second-string lot in the JFC), admittedly pulled out in 2001, but by 2005 we were in Intermediate and are reasonably competitive in that grade. Indeed if we had our full team out we could go a long way, but it rarely happens. Last weekend we lost to last year's SFC semi-finalists by 20 points in the league, allowing them to cruise through the game, played them again yesterday and were unlucky to lose by 6. It's all on the day really.

Maguire01

Just to play devil's advocate here, but people don't have issues with the Hurling Championship being split into different levels of ability, do they?
Most people accept that Kilkenny aren't fit to play in teh football Championship either.

I'm not saying that the likes of Carlow shouldn't have a chance in the Championship, but maybe it's time to have a meaningful second-tier competition or a proper seeding of teams in the early rounds so that such mis-matches don't happen(?)  Yesterday's match was no good to either team. 
The Ulster Hurling Championship appears to have sorted a seeding arrangement this year - it will be interesting to see how it works when the likes of Monaghan play Derry - i'm sure there's still a big difference in class, but it makes more sense than Cavan v Antrim (Hurling) in an open draw in the early rounds.  I know there's some level of seeding in Leinster, but it's clearly not very scientific.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 19, 2008, 09:27:46 PM
Just to play devil's advocate here, but people don't have issues with the Hurling Championship being split into different levels of ability, do they?
Most people accept that Kilkenny aren't fit to play in teh football Championship either.

I'm not saying that the likes of Carlow shouldn't have a chance in the Championship, but maybe it's time to have a meaningful second-tier competition or a proper seeding of teams in the early rounds so that such mis-matches don't happen(?)  Yesterday's match was no good to either team. 
The Ulster Hurling Championship appears to have sorted a seeding arrangement this year - it will be interesting to see how it works when the likes of Monaghan play Derry - i'm sure there's still a big difference in class, but it makes more sense than Cavan v Antrim (Hurling) in an open draw in the early rounds.  I know there's some level of seeding in Leinster, but it's clearly not very scientific.
I'm all for lower tier championships etc, but they have to allow the winners access to the main event, and there's no point in waiting to the next year - how difficult would it be to arrange for the Ring and rackard cups to be played off earlier and allow the winners to play in the hurling qualifiers?  What about the ludicrousness of the situations whereby Down or Derry could conceivably beat Antrim yet Antrim go on to play in the qualifiers and they don't (same with westmeath in Leinster I believe)? (How any of them would do in the qualifiers is not the issue here).
The Murphy cup winners could come back in at the 3rd qualifying stage, that'd be a prize worth winning (only problem is we'd probably see teams try to get relegated to D4 as this might be the easy route).