Still no place for gaelic games in NI state school sector

Started by snatter, May 15, 2008, 02:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteUnless it is some form of symbolic act of the GAA getting access (for free as well from your posts) to 'Protestant' schools against the wishes of school administrators

Had the headmaster of this school not agreed to the GAA coach coming? Hardly against the wishes of school administrators.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nifan

Is anyone aware of how the parents/teachers against this voiced their dissaproval?
Is there  a letter, was there a protest? There must have been something.

Main Street

Quote from: dublinfella on May 19, 2008, 11:50:40 AM
Jesus wept. You are arguing for the sake of it. You have no logical or rational reason to argue why schools should be obliged to lay on these extre curricular activities, but see a huge plot to surpress nationalists.
Stop sniffing glue MS, its bad for you
Did you ask me to repeat my argument?
I have given my reasons in my earlier posts.
If you have anything to add to the debate other than imbecilile trash then don't bother, we have enough of that already from other bigots.

dublinfella

Quote from: Main Street link=topic=7799.msg294755#msg294755
Did you ask me to repeat my argument?
I have given my reasons in my earlier posts.

And then you contradicted yourself. Which is it? Schools to chose their sports or the 'right' of the GAA to be in any school that they see a market?

Quote from: Main Street link=topic=7799.msg294755#msg294755

If you have anything to add to the debate other than imbecilile trash then don't bother, we have enough of that already from other bigots.

Bigot? Me? And considering you have argued against your own self, calling me 'imbecilile' (spelt wrong, well done) is gas.

The GAA is perfectly entitled to try and expand the games into new 'markets'. The issue for me is the sense of entitlement you seem to think the GAA have here.

Main Street

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news/news-dcal/news-dcal-september-2007/news-dcal-140907-new-shared-synthetic.htm

14 September 2007 - New shared synthetic sports pitch for Limavady Grammar School - Poots

£600k synthetic pitch

"Around 24 schools and 30 community organisations, including local GAA clubs and the Boys Brigade will have access to the pitch, not just during the day, but in the evenings as well. It is a great example of what joint programme funding can achieve."

Main Street

The most desirable secondary level education is Integrated Education.

Interesting to note how they deal with Sports in their 15 or 16 secondary schools

http://www.nicie.org/aboutus/default.asp?id=30
a short edited extract
How is sport taught in integrated schools?
Regarding PE, all Integrated Schools will try to cater for the cultural interests, including games, of both the main traditions of Northern Ireland.  All pupils will have the choice to participate or not.  The quality of coaching of Gaelic games at Integrated Schools is high, with many coaches who have played at County and Inter- Province level.

nifan

QuoteThe most desirable secondary level education is Integrated Education.

Not according to a lot on here if the previous discussions on the matter are still anything to go by!

Main Street

Desirable as in demand for places.

If the integrated schools do no follow up on their high sounding ideals for gaelic sports then it will hold no great attraction for GAA members here.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Main Street on May 19, 2008, 05:51:03 PM

Evidence to back this absurd statement up would be nice.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Main Street

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 19, 2008, 07:20:29 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 19, 2008, 05:51:03 PM

Evidence to back this absurd statement up would be nice.

Is it absurd?
The information is that they are oversubscribed
http://www.pur.honorscollege.pitt.edu/docs/v22n1-integrated-education-burchill.pdf

"Today, it is clear that the enrollment of integrated schools in 2008 will likely fall far short of either goal. This is problematic because today, the demand for integrated education greatly exceeds the number of slots available in existing schools. In 2000, over 1,000 interested students were unable to gain entrance to an integrated school (Monaghan 2). The Hazelwood students mentioned that there are large numbers of prospective student who are denied acceptance since the school cannot possibly accommodate the vast numbers of applicants"

In contrast to the reported empty desks in other 2nd level schools
If you know better SS  then please post the links.

nifan

QuoteIn contrast to the reported empty desks in other 2nd level schools

Are there many empty desks in many grammar schools?

Main Street

Fishbat

Quote from: SammyG on May 16, 2008, 01:45:05 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on May 16, 2008, 01:39:02 PM
Cant open the links Sammy. Whats in them?

"FUNCTION: Cork Republican Commemoration Committee, Christmas Fundraiser, featuring The Irish Brigade & Spirit of Freedom,Saturday 15th December 8pm at St.Finbarr's GAA club Togher Cork City, Táille €10."

and

"TERENCE MacSWINEY WEEKEND: 2.30-5pm Saturday 27 October, Ballyphehane Community Centre: 'Revolutionary Politics in Ireland: 1920 and today'. Contributions from Martin Ferris TD, Cllr. David Cullinane and Paul O'Connor, followed by open discussion. 8pm Blackrock GAA club 'A festival of Ballads' featuring The Irish Brigade, The Spirit of Freedom, Shebeen's Alan Quinn and Padraig Mór (ex Shebeen) Táille €10, tickets available from the Sinn Féin office 136 Barrack st Cork tel 021-4311389. 11am Sunday 28 October,  Historical Walk Through Rebel Cork. Guided tour of places in Cork City centre associated with people and events of the Tan war. Assemble at the Sinn Féin 136 Barrack St. 2.30pm: Annual Terence MacSwiney Commemoration, assemble at Ballyphehane Community Centre. March to the Republican Plot, St.Finbarr's cemetery, music and refreshments afterwards at Tom Lynch's bar Barrack St."

Just the first couple of random examples, if you google you'll find dozens.

Eh....random examples of.....???   Good God, a ceremony in Cork for the former Mayor of Cork? .... May gods curse be on them fenians til doomsday

Would it be OK with you for, say, a ceremony for the Royal British Legion to be held at IFA premises?

yourself and EG - ease off on the Stormont live, and the harrumphing along with the bullshit from the hill

nifan

Thanks main street.

Quote"Pupil numbers are rising in some schools and falling in others," he said.
"It is a varied picture across Northern Ireland where population is going up and down."

Perhaps the location of the integrated schools also has an effect on their desirability.
Obviously many grammars are still heavily oversubscribed - I would guarantee Lumen Christie in Derry is very much so for example, although with very strict admittanvce policies many people may not apply that would like to.

Main Street

There is a general picture, the general picture is one of decline in admissions.

Not a decline in some places balanced out by a rise in admissions elsewhere.

It is a matter of record that some grammar schools are over subscribed in some areas but the overall figures are of an annual decline of 4% in the last 5 years which equates to 15,000 empty desks at second level.