Lorry Tragedy

Started by Square Ball, October 25, 2019, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: David McKeown on January 23, 2021, 10:54:22 PM
All the circumstances will be taken into account but I doubt he would have received much credit for that.  I think he could have been well paid and therefore able to flash cash whilst still playing a relatively minor role in the entire operation.  In any sentencing exercise the court will decide what the defendant would have received had they contested the matter and then will allow discount for personal mitigation and early pleas etc.  A guilty plea at the earliest opportunity will attract up to 1/3 discount in normal circumstances.  The sentence in this case strikes me as a 20 year sentence with a 1/3 discount for early plea.

What's the soonest you would expect these guys to be released?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: trileacman on January 23, 2021, 11:02:03 PM
All the circumstances will be taken into account but I doubt he would have received much credit for that.  I think he could have been well paid and therefore able to flash cash whilst still playing a relatively minor role in the entire operation.  In any sentencing exercise the court will decide what the defendant would have received had they contested the matter and then will allow discount for personal mitigation and early pleas etc.  A guilty plea at the earliest opportunity will attract up to 1/3 discount in normal circumstances.  The sentence in this case strikes me as a 20 year sentence with a 1/3 discount for early plea.
They're expected to serve two thirds, instead of half, as per judgement.

David McKeown

Sentencing law in England tends to change far more regularly than over here.  At the minute they can be released at 1/2 point and must be released at 2/3 is the position as far as I am aware.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

StPatsAbu

Quote from: David McKeown on January 23, 2021, 11:40:32 PM

Sentencing law in England tends to change far more regularly than over here.  At the minute they can be released at 1/2 point and must be released at 2/3 is the position as far as I am aware.

Why must they be released at 2/3 then?

armaghniac

Quote from: StPatsAbu on January 24, 2021, 12:20:32 AM

Presumably must be released unless they did something in jail.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

David McKeown

Quote from: armaghniac on January 24, 2021, 12:57:07 AM
Quote from: StPatsAbu on January 24, 2021, 12:20:32 AM

Presumably must be released unless they did something in jail.

No it's automatic release. We have something similar. Over here if you commit what's called either a specified or serious offence you get one of 4 sentences. A DCS, an ECS, an ICS or a life sentence.

At the point of sentence the Court will look at you and decide if you are dangerous or not ie if you are highly likely to commit another violent or sexual offence. If you aren't you get a DCS. If you are you get one of the other sentences depending on how dangerous you are.

With a DCS the judge sets how much of your sentence will be spent in custody and how much will be spent on licence. (Maximum of half in custody). This is the most common type of sentence here.

An ECS is different in the Judge sets the length of the sentence then adds an extra period of licence. With an ECS you can be released once you reach the half point of your sentence but only if you can convince the Parole Commissioners you aren't a risk of serious harm anymore. You then remain subject to licence to the end of the period set by the court.

In E@W their sentencing is much more complicated with up to 30 different types of sentence depending on the offence and the risk posed by the offender. Some of these allow for automatic release at 50% some at 66.67% and some at 75%. Some also allow for discretionary release earlier than this at the discretion of the Secretary of State. The sentences these guy got is one of those sentences that allows for discretionary release at 50% but with automatic release at 66:67%. After that they remain on licence until the end of their sentence.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

WT4E

Anyone see the bbc documentary the other night they where well caught..

Thankfully they retrieved the Nokia prepay phone which was the key to it all. The way they traced it from there was well done.

What a sc**bag move open a trailer full of dead bodies and then drive round calling other scumbags to see what to do. I know it wasn't a probable outcome but would it not have been an idea to get them help in case any where saleable at that stage.

One of the points I don't think it explained and I don't think it explained on show. What had spooked mo on way out of port?

quit yo jibbajabba

Saw it wt4e, posted on the tv thread as couldnt remember if we had a thread on it. Couple of comments in there. Decent show though obviously chilling. Dont know answer to your question

Main Street

Quote from: WT4E on October 15, 2021, 10:30:09 PM
Anyone see the bbc documentary the other night they where well caught..

Thankfully they retrieved the Nokia prepay phone which was the key to it all. The way they traced it from there was well done.

What a sc**bag move open a trailer full of dead bodies and then drive round calling other scumbags to see what to do. I know it wasn't a probable outcome but would it not have been an idea to get them help in case any where saleable at that stage.

One of the points I don't think it explained and I don't think it explained on show. What had spooked mo on way out of port?
I'd say probably he was asked some question about the contents of the container at the barrier to the exit and had the momentary fear that it could be inspected. The detective used that close circuit image as evidence that Robinson knew he was carrying people and from that point the course of the questioning changed.

LeoMc

I thought it was because of the delayed sailing. If he was aware it was a sealed unit he may have had an idea there was limited air.

WT4E

Yeah I thought I remember some exchange of messages  about something which concluded with give them air but don't let the. Out.

As someone said on the other thread this still goes on and I wish the authorities would clamp down on it so that these wankers making big bucks where caught at it. Has there been anyone caught since this happened?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: WT4E on October 16, 2021, 10:56:44 PM
Yeah I thought I remember some exchange of messages  about something which concluded with give them air but don't let the. Out.

As someone said on the other thread this still goes on and I wish the authorities would clamp down on it so that these wankers making big bucks where caught at it. Has there been anyone caught since this happened?
Yes he was to give them air but not let them out.

quit yo jibbajabba

jaysus i must have only been half watchin. If thats true then tis a surprise he didnt get longer.

Did they also allude to the fact that the suffocation was due to the large nos and that 15 had crossed a short time previous with no issues ie pure greed in operation

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 16, 2021, 11:16:50 PM
jaysus i must have only been half watchin. If thats true then tis a surprise he didnt get longer.

Did they also allude to the fact that the suffocation was due to the large nos and that 15 had crossed a short time previous with no issues ie pure greed in operation
I dont know if it was covered in the programme but it was def reported. Serious amount of CCTV involved to stitch that story together. The peelers in England getting a serious going over at thr minute but when you see this they seem to have done a serious job in a relatively short period.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 16, 2021, 11:05:01 PM
Quote from: WT4E on October 16, 2021, 10:56:44 PM

Yes he was to give them air but not let them out.
You guys have not watched the documentary carefully, if at all. The question put in this thread was why was Robinson  freaked out (to some extent) when driving out with the container lorry from the dock. That incident was captured clearly by CCtv, in his cab he became somewhat animated in the exchanges which took place between him and the person in charge of the barrier and this was noted by the detective in charge.
Why complicate the interpretation of that incident that took place with irrelevant opinions? The question was, why was he freaked out  and it follows, why was  that incident relevant to the investigation?

The sms message about letting in air came 10 - 15 mins later after the barrier was lifted when he drove away from the dock.