The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 16, 2020, 11:15:02 AM
Has it made the news over in the US about all players in the top tiers of the Football League taking a  Knee before all games and some players giving the Black Power salute?
not a word about it , how long will that continue? and I wonder have any of the players read the goals of blm , they won't be getting 200k a week if the communists take over .
It's going to take some balls for a player to stand up before a game .

J70

Quote from: Gmac on July 16, 2020, 02:18:28 PM
Has it made the news over in the US about all players in the top tiers of the Football League taking a  Knee before all games and some players giving the Black Power salute?
not a word about it , how long will that continue? and I wonder have any of the players read the goals of blm , they won't be getting 200k a week if the communists take over .

MLK was dismissed by many on the right as a communist.

Luckily, "the commies are coming" hysteria doesn't have as much impact on most people as it does on paranoid, reactionary, conservative Americans.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on July 16, 2020, 02:28:04 PM

Luckily, "the commies are coming" hysteria doesn't have as much impact on most people as it does on paranoid, reactionary, conservative Americans.

Have you read about the tapes which are under seal at the National Archives?

Supposedly MLK is heard laughing and taunting as a friend of his raped a woman

sid waddell

What is classed as "conservatism" in America bears no relation to real conservatism. "Conservatism" in America is basically a revolutionary nihiilist project driven by Charles Koch/James Buchanan anarcho-capitalist ideology, which desires an obscenely rich oligarchy which controls everything and Lord Of The Flies type dystopia for everybody else.

Real conservatives would be strong on environmental matters, regulation and pro-good public services.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on July 16, 2020, 02:17:17 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 15, 2020, 09:47:36 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2020, 08:55:17 PM
As for who is more prone to outrage, NYT or WSJ readers, go ahead and tell us how you measure something like that.

Easily-by counting how many people got fired, pushed out or resigned because of something they wrote, said or tweeted

Did you get those figures yet?

https://thebulwark.com/bari-weiss-was-too-honest-for-the-new-york-times/

Actually I looked and there were a bunch of people who resigned/left/were fired from the NY Times editorial pages over philosophical differences (ie weren't left wing enough for the readership) but interestingly enough I couldn't find one single such public parting of ways at the WSJ

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 02:42:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 16, 2020, 02:17:17 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 15, 2020, 09:47:36 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2020, 08:55:17 PM
As for who is more prone to outrage, NYT or WSJ readers, go ahead and tell us how you measure something like that.

Easily-by counting how many people got fired, pushed out or resigned because of something they wrote, said or tweeted

Did you get those figures yet?

https://thebulwark.com/bari-weiss-was-too-honest-for-the-new-york-times/

Actually I looked and there were a bunch of people who resigned/left/were fired from the NY Times editorial pages over philosophical differences (ie weren't left wing enough for the readership) but interestingly enough I couldn't find one single such public parting of ways at the WSJ

Q.E.D., huh?

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 02:36:58 PM

Have you read about the tapes which are under seal at the National Archives?

Supposedly MLK is heard laughing and taunting as a friend of his raped a woman

Yes, I've heard of them.

Gabriel_Hurl

Of course gmac didn't see them watching Fox News - but they did make it onto the news programs here when it was first done.

whitey

Holy $hit....did anyone see this beating....a 3 year old got a deliberate kick in the head

https://mobile.twitter.com/RayGarciahawaii/status/1283302899469213696

easytiger95

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 01:17:28 PM
LOL

Even Bill Maher thinks the bias at The NY Times is off the hook, but keep it up guys

That's the head in the sand attitude that got Trump elected in the first place

https://mobile.twitter.com/billmaher/status/1283120122521989120

"Resignation Letter — Bari Weiss.    As a longtime reader who has in recent years read the paper with increasing dismay over just the reasons outlined here, I hope this letter finds receptive ears at the paper. But for the reasons outlined here,I doubt"

I don't get to vote in the US, more's the pity. But making a free speech martyr out of a journalist who a) resigned rather than being fired and b) made her name by campaigning to have academics fired because their views did not mirror hers - makes you rather more of an ostrich than me Whitey. But that is just more of the attitude that got Trump elected in the first place, but won't help him in this cycle.

As for why more journos would leave NYT over philosophical differences than WSJ - well that is obvious - they hire a more diverse staff at NYT in the hope of stimulating debate (unadvisedly in the case of Weiss and Stephens, who are only trolls) whereas WSJ has a much more defined conservative bent, and they hire along that line, hence less disagreements.

Gmac

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 03:09:25 PM
Holy $hit....did anyone see this beating....a 3 year old got a deliberate kick in the head

no cops needed, a social worker will be out in 2 weeks, thank you have a great day .

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 16, 2020, 03:10:35 PM
LOL

Even Bill Maher thinks the bias at The NY Times is off the hook, but keep it up guys

"Resignation Letter — Bari Weiss.    As a longtime reader who has in recent years read the paper with increasing dismay over just the reasons outlined here, I hope this letter finds receptive ears at the paper. But for the reasons outlined here,I doubt"

I don't get to vote in the US, more's the pity. But making a free speech martyr out of a journalist who a) resigned rather than being fired and b) made her name by campaigning to have academics fired because their views did not mirror hers - makes you rather more of an ostrich than me Whitey. But that is just more of the attitude that got Trump elected in the first place, but won't help him in this cycle.

As for why more journos would leave NYT over philosophical differences than WSJ - well that is obvious - they hire a more diverse staff at NYT in the hope of stimulating debate (unadvisedly in the case of Weiss and Stephens, who are only trolls) whereas WSJ has a much more defined conservative bent, and they hire along that line, hence less disagreements.

So are Matt Talibbi and Bill Maher both wrong about the New York Times?

WSJ has plenty of Op Ed's written by liberals-their readership just don't go in meltdown mode every time someone writes something they disagree with.

NY Times is the left wing version of Fox News. It's subscribers are a bunch of sheeple who vilify anyone who holds opinions different to themselves

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on July 16, 2020, 03:10:35 PM
LOL

So are Matt Talibbi and Bill Maher both wrong about the New York Times?

WSJ has plenty of Op Ed's written by liberals-their readership just don't go in meltdown mode every time someone writes something they disagree with.

NY Times is the left wing version of Fox News. It's subscribers are a bunch of sheeple who vilify anyone who holds opinions different to themselves

So Times readers are up in arms every week about the regular pieces from the likes of Brooks and Stephens?

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 03:09:25 PM

That's appalling.

The political angle is...?

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 03:21:52 PM

Ah would ya look at that. He said "sheeple".  While complaining about those who hold opinions he doesn't like. ;D

Qanon Qanon Qanon!!!

Get some self awareness, m8.