The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

I was talking about the articles about this writer, the articles posted and Twitter. It's pretty clear from what I wrote

J70

As for who is more prone to outrage, NYT or WSJ readers, go ahead and tell us how you measure something like that.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2020, 08:55:17 PM
As for who is more prone to outrage, NYT or WSJ readers, go ahead and tell us how you measure something like that.

Easily-by counting how many people got fired, pushed out or resigned because of something they wrote, said or tweeted

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
Quote from: Gmac on July 14, 2020, 03:22:39 PM
17 people shot in nyc in one day ,wonder is de blassio worried about this or is he planning another painting project.

Yeah, I'm sure he's out there right now spray painting all the Trump properties in the city (at least those that still have Trump's name on them) and wiring up One Police Plaza for demolition as we speak.

You're a wee bit obsessed with a mayor who lives in and whose power is limited to a city 3000 miles away from you.
not at all just concerned that your mayor is getting  the people he wants to protect killed with his insane policies .

Taylor

Given how passionate/argumentative Irish people who reside in the States get about the left/right/Republican/Democrats I can only imagine what it is going to be like as November elections approach over there.

Thats not a slight at the boys here who go hammer and tong at it on here but I am just thinking of the extremes on both sides over there - it will be worse than anything we have seen before.

No one divides opinion like Trump it seems

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 15, 2020, 09:47:36 PM

Easily-by counting how many people got fired, pushed out or resigned because of something they wrote, said or tweeted

I see.

So context and details and how publicized said parting-of-ways was are irrelevant?

Out of interest, what ARE these "easily" attainable figures?

J70

Quote from: Gmac on July 16, 2020, 04:41:09 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
Quote from: Gmac on July 14, 2020, 03:22:39 PM
17 people shot in nyc in one day ,wonder is de blassio worried about this or is he planning another painting project.

Yeah, I'm sure he's out there right now spray painting all the Trump properties in the city (at least those that still have Trump's name on them) and wiring up One Police Plaza for demolition as we speak.

You're a wee bit obsessed with a mayor who lives in and whose power is limited to a city 3000 miles away from you.
not at all just concerned that your mayor is getting  the people he wants to protect killed with his insane policies .

Such as?

Denn Forever

Has it made the news over in the US about all players in the top tiers of the Football League taking a  Knee before all games and some players giving the Black Power salute?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

easytiger95

Hmm, right wing opinion writer on the NYT complains about the threat to free speech (despite her having a platform that size to publicize her views....)

then resigns (she was not fired or silenced) claiming that she was intimidated into doing so....

without anyone bringing up the reason for her rise to prominence, which was leading a campaign of intimidation against professors working in the Middle East department of Columbia University because they disagreed with Israel's Palestinian policy....

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/the-nyts-bari-weiss-falsely-denies-her-years-of-attacks-on-the-academic-freedom-of-arab-scholars-who-criticize-israel/ 

(Greenwald wrote this two years ago, she has been at this a long time)....

or without anyone on this site recognising her role in publicizing what she termed "the intellectual dark web", a loosely affiliated group of supposed "classical liberals" and "free-speech advocates" (Rubin, Shapiro, the Weinsteins, Jordan Peterson et al) who do nothing but avoid debate with leftists, main stream gruesome right wing bigots like Stefan Molyneux, Gavin McInnes and others, and complain about their speech being restricted despite all of them having access to huge online and broadcast platforms (including but not limited to, Fox News, CNN, HBO, Daily Wire, Joe Rogan Show....)

and at the time of her resignation, Andrew Sullivan and also, apparently, Ben Shapiro have decided to move on to non-defined new chapters in their careers. Watch out for some kind of new site, a right wing Vox perhaps, or a rival for Breitbart, but with added helpings of self pity, as they decry their speech being limited, while they rake in the corporate dollars and have unlimited scope for regurgitating their right wing dross into the MSM.

The right wing grift is an amazing one, and would almost make you want to applaud their stunning mendacity. It's a nice gig if you can get it.

sid waddell

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 16, 2020, 12:07:02 PM
Hmm, right wing opinion writer on the NYT complains about the threat to free speech (despite her having a platform that size to publicize her views....)

then resigns (she was not fired or silenced) claiming that she was intimidated into doing so....

without anyone bringing up the reason for her rise to prominence, which was leading a campaign of intimidation against professors working in the Middle East department of Columbia University because they disagreed with Israel's Palestinian policy....

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/the-nyts-bari-weiss-falsely-denies-her-years-of-attacks-on-the-academic-freedom-of-arab-scholars-who-criticize-israel/ 

(Greenwald wrote this two years ago, she has been at this a long time)....

or without anyone on this site recognising her role in publicizing what she termed "the intellectual dark web", a loosely affiliated group of supposed "classical liberals" and "free-speech advocates" (Rubin, Shapiro, the Weinsteins, Jordan Peterson et al) who do nothing but avoid debate with leftists, main stream gruesome right wing bigots like Stefan Molyneux, Gavin McInnes and others, and complain about their speech being restricted despite all of them having access to huge online and broadcast platforms (including but not limited to, Fox News, CNN, HBO, Daily Wire, Joe Rogan Show....)

and at the time of her resignation, Andrew Sullivan and also, apparently, Ben Shapiro have decided to move on to non-defined new chapters in their careers. Watch out for some kind of new site, a right wing Vox perhaps, or a rival for Breitbart, but with added helpings of self pity, as they decry their speech being limited, while they rake in the corporate dollars and have unlimited scope for regurgitating their right wing dross into the MSM.

The right wing grift is an amazing one, and would almost make you want to applaud their stunning mendacity. It's a nice gig if you can get it.
That Bari Weiss one is nuts. I was going to say she's a professional troll, but I think she actually believes her nonsense.

Ironic you mention Glenn Greenwald as he's gone off the reservation in not dissimilar similar manner in recent times along with Matt Taibbi.

easytiger95

I disagree with Greenwald on a lot, particularly his attitude towards Putin, but his work on Lula's imprisonment in Brazil, and stuff like the article above really show his forensic skills as a reporter.

I haven't been following Taaibi recently, where is his head at?

whitey

LOL

Even Bill Maher thinks the bias at The NY Times is off the hook, but keep it up guys

That's the head in the sand attitude that got Trump elected in the first place

https://mobile.twitter.com/billmaher/status/1283120122521989120

"Resignation Letter — Bari Weiss.    As a longtime reader who has in recent years read the paper with increasing dismay over just the reasons outlined here, I hope this letter finds receptive ears at the paper. But for the reasons outlined here,I doubt"

whitey

And someone asked about Matt Talibbi

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/hilltv/rising/502971-taibbi-on-cancel-culture-and-the-cotton-op-ed%3fampP

Here's what he said about the Tom Cotton article which led to the firing/resignation/demotion of senior NY Times editorial staff

"What it really accomplishes is it puts your readers in the dark about what a huge segment of the country is thinking, and that defeats the mission to me of the news in general," he said."

But....it's a free country .....believe what you want

sid waddell

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 16, 2020, 12:38:33 PM
I disagree with Greenwald on a lot, particularly his attitude towards Putin, but his work on Lula's imprisonment in Brazil, and stuff like the article above really show his forensic skills as a reporter.

I haven't been following Taaibi recently, where is his head at?
Greenwald on Brazilian politics and Greenwald on US politics are like two entirely different people. He should stick to Brazilian stuff because on US politics he's become the worst kind of bad faith contrarian and seems far more interested in fighting petty Twitter wars than anything else. He's pretty much gone in a right-wing contrarian direction, and his writing style has degenerated into that of an online, pro Trump, pro-Russia troll, because he decided four years ago that Trump had nothing to do with Russia, and has spent those years desperately searching for things that backs up the wrong position he took at that time, rather than admit he was wrong. His descent into madness has been Graham Linehan-esque. Taibbi has done the same thing because he also took the same wrong position and cannot let go of it out of sheer pig-headedness.

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 15, 2020, 09:47:36 PM

Did you get those figures yet?

https://thebulwark.com/bari-weiss-was-too-honest-for-the-new-york-times/