Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Main Street on August 22, 2019, 05:54:26 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2019, 11:08:58 AM
Shawshank and The Godfather in the same list?!  :o

Shawshank is the most over-rated film imo. The Ed Sheeran of movies.
Most definitely but I still like it and could watch it once every 5 years.

I clear sign when a movie is very good. Tim Robbins with arguably his best acting performance and he was very good in Arlington road and Mystic River also.

charlieTully

Quote from: BennyCake on August 22, 2019, 06:44:13 PM
Shawshank is a masterpiece.

Never seen The Godfather, and have no desire to.

Tarantino is a vastly overrated director.

Wearer of brown shoes by any chance?

BennyCake

Quote from: charlieTully on August 22, 2019, 10:13:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 22, 2019, 06:44:13 PM
Shawshank is a masterpiece.

Never seen The Godfather, and have no desire to.

Tarantino is a vastly overrated director.

Wearer of brown shoes by any chance?

Not anymore. I swapped them for Warden Norton's nice shiny ones.

Cunny Funt

The Joker out next month has some decent trailers  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY  critics saying it's an oscar worthy masterpiece. Will it live up to the hype I'd wonder?

Taylor

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 06, 2019, 02:16:37 PM
The Joker out next month has some decent trailers  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY  critics saying it's an oscar worthy masterpiece. Will it live up to the hype I'd wonder?

Phoenix is touted as getting an oscar for the performance. Ledger got one for his previous protrayal of the Joker. Bound to be unusual for two different actors to get oscars for the same character if it happens.

On Quientin.......he definitely is an acquired taste as screen said earlier
Pulp Fiction - good
Reservoir Dogs - good
Jackie Brown - trash
Kill Bill - trash
Unglorious Basterds - trash
Django - trash

Jeepers Creepers

Got an eight minute standing ovation at the Venice film festival.

screenexile

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 06, 2019, 02:39:29 PM

Great trailer and I think Phoenix is one of those actors who has the madness to play the role properly I'm looking forward to it!

Ambrose

That looks epic and for once the trailer doesn't 'spoil' the upcoming movie.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on September 06, 2019, 02:42:44 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 06, 2019, 02:39:29 PM

Great trailer and I think Phoenix is one of those actors who has the madness to play the role properly I'm looking forward to it!
Saw the trailer at the cinema last week and I couldn't think of a better mad bastard to take the role on. Apart from possibly Joe Brolly.

Hound

Quote from: Taylor on September 06, 2019, 02:28:24 PM

Phoenix is touted as getting an oscar for the performance. Ledger got one for his previous protrayal of the Joker. Bound to be unusual for two different actors to get oscars for the same character if it happens.

Pulp Fiction - good
Reservoir Dogs - good
Jackie Brown - trash
Kill Bill - trash
Django - trash
I'm not a movie buff and certainly not one to like a movie because it's fashionable to. And, in reference to previous posts, I think anyone who doesn't like Shawshank is just being a knob pretending they don't like it to be somehow above the poor masses.

But I really enjoyed all the above mentioned QT movies, apart from Jackie Brown, which I've never seen.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on September 06, 2019, 10:05:05 PM
Quote from: Taylor on September 06, 2019, 02:28:24 PM

Pulp Fiction - good
Reservoir Dogs - good
Jackie Brown - trash
Kill Bill - trash
Django - trash
I'm not a movie buff and certainly not one to like a movie because it's fashionable to. And, in reference to previous posts, I think anyone who doesn't like Shawshank is just being a knob pretending they don't like it to be somehow above the poor masses.

But I really enjoyed all the above mentioned QT movies, apart from Jackie Brown, which I've never seen.
Who's the knob?  A person who likes SHawshank but doesn't rate it as the best film of all time, alongside The Godfather? Cop on to yourself.

screenexile

Watched Joker this evening and thought it was a great piece of film making. The most uncomfortable 2 hours ever but exceptionally well done just eery stuff going on the whole time and not being sure where it's going next.

Saw some poor reviews and some good ones but I can see why some live it and some would hate it. Definitely worth seeing though.

I would highly recommend it though be prepared to squirm in your seat a lot!!

fearsiuil

Quote from: screenexile on October 07, 2019, 09:52:18 PM
Watched Joker this evening and thought it was a great piece of film making. The most uncomfortable 2 hours ever but exceptionally well done just eery stuff going on the whole time and not being sure where it's going next.

Saw some poor reviews and some good ones but I can see why some live it and some would hate it. Definitely worth seeing though.

Best advice I can give about Joker is go watch it and don't allow yourself read or hear anything about it.

themac_23

the thing that struck me about Joker was that Joaquin Phoenix was in like 98% if the scenes, the film was all about him and he took the bull by the horns and completely nailed it, unreal performance.

BennyCake

Quote from: fearsiuil on October 08, 2019, 08:19:07 AM

Best advice I can give about Joker is go watch it and don't allow yourself read or hear anything about it.

I do that with any film I watch.