IRA Undefeated apparently and brits are bad drivers....

Started by An Fear Rua, July 06, 2007, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Donagh on July 06, 2007, 01:03:22 PM
Not speaking for 5Times but it probably means that although we often hear the unionists bleating about the Brits keeping the gloves on, to a large extent the IRA did the same. It could have been a lot rougher than it was.

To be fair Donagh this refers the security forces not being allowed to go out and shoot members of the IRA, wherever and whenver they encountered them and chose to, or inddeed to hunt them down and shoot them c.f. Israel) - which is exactly how the IRA operated. (As well as its various bombings, civilian atrocities etc).

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: MW on July 06, 2007, 01:16:40 PM
Quote from: Donagh on July 06, 2007, 12:47:37 PM
Feck even ex-peelers are lining up on Talkback now to pay tribute to Óglaigh na hÉireann.  :o

So's Fishead Sam :P

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 06, 2007, 12:20:54 PM
I know an Army that defeated them, The Irish Free State Army  ;)

Little confused about the above post, will I be sorry I asked  ???

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

The sad truth in the history of this wee part of the world was that when Irish civilians (and RUC/UDR) were killed, the English would think it was terrible what one Irish man was doing to another.

When stuff happened in Britain, or to British soldiers, then it was heinous, an abomination, murderous, evil etc. and usually led to more oppression, be it military or legislative.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

ziggysego

Posting filter applied for user :GweylTah

This users posts are not displayed as they are on your blocked poster list.

You can add this user to your list in the Profile section
Testing Accessibility

J70

Some serious double standards on the part of some northern members here:

Gweyltah's posts bring a hail of condemnation and statements of intent to filter out his contributions, while 5Times' wish that the IRA had not shown restraint and confined themselves to "legitimate" targets is ignored.

MW

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 06, 2007, 01:23:02 PM
Quote from: MW on July 06, 2007, 01:16:40 PM
Quote from: Donagh on July 06, 2007, 12:47:37 PM
Feck even ex-peelers are lining up on Talkback now to pay tribute to Óglaigh na hÉireann.  :o

So's Fishead Sam :P

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 06, 2007, 12:20:54 PM
I know an Army that defeated them, The Irish Free State Army  ;)

Little confused about the above post, will I be sorry I asked  ???

Just pointing out you're paying tribute (well, kind of) to Óglaigh na hÉireann...the official one...

magpie seanie

Quote5Times' wish that the IRA had not shown restraint and confined themselves to "legitimate" targets is ignored.

I'm assuming it was a typo.

Donagh

Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2007, 01:35:27 PM
Gweyltah's posts bring a hail of condemnation

Have I missed these?

while 5Times' wish that the IRA had not shown restraint and confined themselves to "legitimate" targets is ignored.

Is that really what he said? My reading is that the IRA constrained themselves with legitimate targets while others took out lads on street corners. Saying that does not automatically mean he wishes the same.

nifan

He said in his opinion the IRA didnt go far enough.

I certainly read the sentence as J70 states, hence I asked 5times to clarify what he meant.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 06, 2007, 12:47:31 PM

Im liking these new bits functionality Admin!!!

beat you to it!
get with the program AFR - I've had this 'b*llshit blocker' filter on this while now.

Yer Ma

The guts of it is that the IRA weren't defeated and the British Army weren't defeated. Each side knew though that neither was going to let the other 'win', hence a stalemate and truce that both sides were happy for.

However, I think it's going over old ground that probably is best left in the past.

Donagh

Ach lads think of what you are missing  :D

nifan

5times - so what did you mean when you said "IMHO they didnt go far enough"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 06, 2007, 01:55:08 PM
Donagh seems to have summed up what I was saying.

Loyalist paramilataries with the help of RUC/PSNI special branch and the British army had a free passage into Nationalist areas to murder innocent people, be it a young lad outside a shop or an old man on his way home from the pub, very fuckin heroic. Whereas the IRA mainly targetted members of the crown forces. I have always thought the IRA showed a lot of restraint, it would have been very easy to drive onto the Shankill Rd or Rathcoole and shoot ordinary everyday Protestants.

Getting back to my earlier point about Gawaytafuck, why does he/she/it feel the need to post on what is primarily a GAA discussion board. He/she/it contributes nothing positive to this board and only seeks to stir up trouble. If He/she/it continues I think it should be removed.
Then again it cant really be easy being a Northern Prod, you`re not exactly British, certainly people in Britain dont view them as British. They are not exactly Irish, no one wants them, but sadly Britain is stuck with them. I think it is worth noting that the United Kingdom is made uo of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland, so I suppose at best they are United Kingdomers. Must be really hard for Gweytafuck, not exactly knowing who you are or what you are, still it could be worse, it could be the wrong time of the month, then we`d really get it in the neck.  ;)

forget about it 5T
Its hard for some of these folk to accept that the Army are indeed acknowledging the undefeated Irish Republican Army (gawd bless 'em)

It will be harder still for them to stomach it as we career towards a united Ireland.

with the installation of the martyred dead IRA republicans as 'Historic Irish heroes' a la Pearse , Connolly and the men of 1916 - being the final straw as they all jump ship and head back to rangersland -ooops sorry , meant scotland!
;) :D

GweylTah

I doubt if the IRA ever wanted to unleash all-out war here, they tended to back-off a bit whenever they got a taste of their own medicine.

Of course, incidents such as murdering elected representatives, massacres of shoppers on Bloody Friday, pensioners at Enniskillen, dog-fanciers at La Mon, etc, etc, indicate that they got quite close at times.

Interesting, too, that it was only when their evil mirror images on the loyalist side started to out-number them in the body count, coupled with widespread infiltarion (even people in south Armagh and east Tyrone were being bought!!!), that they became persuadable to become champions for the Peace Process. Certainly the ability to turn defeat into some sort of victory, through claiming ownership of the Peace Process, took plenty of cheek.

Anyway, it's over and, this side of 9/11, terrorism and its advocates are persona no grata nowaways in the western world, whatever internet warriors like 5Times spew.