IRA Undefeated apparently and brits are bad drivers....

Started by An Fear Rua, July 06, 2007, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

Army admits 'not defeating IRA' 

The Army has admitted for the first time that it did not win the war against the IRA.
The admission is contained in an internal document released by the Ministry of Defence after a request under the Freedom of Information Act.

The Army also admitted mistakes were made on Bloody Sunday, but only in how it deployed its vehicles.

The 100 page document analyses in detail the British army's role in Northern Ireland over 37 years.

It focuses on specific operations as well as providing an overview of its performance.

The document, obtained by the Pat Finucane Centre, points to a number of mistakes, including internment and highlights what lessons have been learnt.

It describes the IRA as "a professional, dedicated, highly skilled and resilient force", while loyalist paramilitaries and other republican groups are described as "little more than a collection of gangsters".

The Army admits mistakes over Bloody Sunday - but only in how it used vehicles during the arrest operation.

It concedes for the first time that it did not win the battle against the IRA - but claims to have "shown the IRA that it could not achieve its ends through violence".

In a statement, the Pat Finucane Centre - a human rights group - said the document "betrays a profoundly colonial mindset towards the conflict here and those involved in it".

"Loyalist violence and the links between loyalist paramilitaries and the state has been airbrushed out of this military history," it said.

The dup have been telling us lies this last few years it seems  ;)
Its Grim up North

Main Street

from the Pat Finucane Centre website
http://www.serve.com/pfc/misc/opbanner.html
"it is clear that the document was not intended to be put in the public domain. We are making it temporarily available on our website in case the MoD attempts to restrict access."

here is the direct link to "Operation Banner"
http://www.serve.com/pfc/misc/opbanner.pdf

GweylTah

It looks like a typically a la carte response to this report from the decidedly one-sided and propagandist Pat Finnucane Centre.

PS.  What 'army' that hasn't lost or achieved its stated objectives, totally and permanently ends its violent campaign and gives-up all of its weaponry?

Fishead_Sam

I know an Army that defeated them, The Irish Free State Army  ;)

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: GweylTah on July 06, 2007, 12:15:28 PM

PS.  What 'army' that hasn't lost or achieved its stated objectives, totally and permanently ends its violent campaign and gives-up all of its weaponry?

The good old barmy army, me old codger -howzat!!
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

GweylTah

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 06, 2007, 12:25:45 PM
Gweytafuck, exactly why are you a member of the GAA Board ??? It seems to me that every single one of your posts is meant to provoke a reaction. If the British army are admitting that they didnt defeat the IRA ( it was stalemate if you ask me) and the IRA are certainly winning the peace, what more do you need.
IMHO the IRA didnt go far enough, they tried to use legitimate targets such as Police, Army and genuine Loyalists, not some young lad standing on a street corner.

To answer your first point, I like to fish but without the cruelty of sitting on a river bank with a rod and hook.

;)

On the second point, I think you are deluded to the point of having been brain-washed, but that's your look-out.

An Fear Rua

Posting filter applied for user :GweylTah

This users posts are not displayed as they are on your blocked poster list.

You can add this user to your list in the Profile section

Im liking these new bits functionality Admin!!!
Its Grim up North

Donagh

Feck even ex-peelers are lining up on Talkback now to pay tribute to Óglaigh na hÉireann.  :o

Fishead_Sam

nifan

IMHO the IRA didnt go far enough, they tried to use legitimate targets such as Police, Army and genuine Loyalists, not some young lad standing on a street corner.

What does this post mean - I assume I am reading it wrong

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 06, 2007, 12:53:02 PM
My outlook would be slighly different than most. Sadly my views would probably get me banned from this board and I would rather remain a member than rise to your bait.
I am sure there are boards for twisted little fat arsed lesbian loyalists lie yourself. f**k off and find one.

I hope you talking to Gweytafuck & not me, Im only taking the mick, coz I not a fan of the IRA etc.

Donagh

Not speaking for 5Times but it probably means that although we often hear the unionists bleating about the Brits keeping the gloves on, to a large extent the IRA did the same. It could have been a lot rougher than it was.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteThe Army admits mistakes over Bloody Sunday - but only in how it used vehicles during the arrest operation.

They must have picked up a few parking tickets on the day. ::)

MW

Quote from: Donagh on July 06, 2007, 12:47:37 PM
Feck even ex-peelers are lining up on Talkback now to pay tribute to Óglaigh na hÉireann.  :o

So's Fishead Sam :P

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 06, 2007, 12:20:54 PM
I know an Army that defeated them, The Irish Free State Army  ;)

Tonto

Quote from: nifan on July 06, 2007, 12:54:19 PM

What does this post mean - I assume I am reading it wrong

That's what I was wondering too.

It sounds like that for the IRA, to have gone to the level 5times wanted, should have targeted "some young lad standing on a street corner".

Is that right, 5Times? :(