Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

All very true Sheedy.

But the one thing in GAA that you individually and you as your club can genuinely influence is the membership (and therefore direction) of the county board.

We, the GAA people of Down, have been every bit as complicit in our county's downfall as the various men who've sat on committees.

C Carr

I see Tirnan Rushe has signed for Warrenpoint Town meaning his commitment for the county u21's will take its toll, whereas Ryan JOhnston has started playing hurling for Castlewellan? I think this is very strange coming from a top football player in the county.

TooLongRef

fantastic to see big Eoin Woods from the bridge going to give his club another year in the middle of the park, still playing at the age of 52, inspiration to all young lads looking to have a career in senior club football.

johnneycool

Quote from: C Carr on November 19, 2015, 10:48:51 AM
I see Tirnan Rushe has signed for Warrenpoint Town meaning his commitment for the county u21's will take its toll, whereas Ryan JOhnston has started playing hurling for Castlewellan? I think this is very strange coming from a top football player in the county.

Don't worry, he'll only have a game the odd monday night and nothing for the months of July and August if the current hurling fixtures are anything to go by!

clowry13

Was talking to a Down senior player (I wont mention any names). They told me that Benny and Dan Gordan have been added into their whatsapp group chat for 2016 McKenna cup provisional squad. This is great news for the county as two great leaders are brought back into the changing rooms. Maybe something what we were missing last year?

TooLongRef

Quote from: clowry13 on November 19, 2015, 10:59:31 AM
Was talking to a Down senior player (I wont mention any names). They told me that Benny and Dan Gordan have been added into their whatsapp group chat for 2016 McKenna cup provisional squad. This is great news for the county as two great leaders are brought back into the changing rooms. Maybe something what we were missing last year?

Dan might not be able to commit, hes too busy winning micky mouse trophies for loughanisland...

The Trap

What is the view in Down of Loughinisland's run to the Ulster Intermediate Final? If they had put the same effort into it when they were in Division One last year were would they have finished? I don't like the Ulster Intermediate and Junior for this reason....i.e. teams can drop down a division and then get a glory run in a competition they should probably not be in. And its not just Loughinisland by the way, Rockcorry from Monaghan are doing the same at Junior!

No1

Did the Down senior player mention who would be training the squad this season?

elk

Life goes on,plenty of other good forwards available at U21  - Havern,Mc Aleenan,Quinn etc.

TooLongRef

Quote from: elk on November 19, 2015, 04:04:26 PM
Life goes on,plenty of other good forwards available at U21  - Havern,Mc Aleenan,Quinn etc.

This is obviously a joke elk, use your head... You seem to be fond of commenting on Rushe, 3 or 4 times now you've gotten stuck into him on this, has he done anything to you in the past?

T O Hare

Quote from: clowry13 on November 19, 2015, 10:59:31 AM

Definitely not!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Blue Island

Quote from: The Trap on November 19, 2015, 11:38:47 AM
What is the view in Down of Loughinisland's run to the Ulster Intermediate Final? If they had put the same effort into it when they were in Division One last year were would they have finished? I don't like the Ulster Intermediate and Junior for this reason....i.e. teams can drop down a division and then get a glory run in a competition they should probably not be in. And its not just Loughinisland by the way, Rockcorry from Monaghan are doing the same at Junior!

Loughinisland did try last year and we have not spent too much time in Division one in the last five years. For as long as I can recall it has always been the case that the top 15 league teams plus the intermediate champions in Down have played senior championship. The fact we did not reach that level had nothing to do with not trying. We have some seasoned players, but we also have a lot of young players and whist we are looking forward to the future with some optimism, we did not slip down to intermediate level for the sake of winning an intermediate championship. It takes a little time to blood a relatively young team. We also have a good management team in place.

Personally I did not completely buy into the intermediate championship at the start, because as far as I can recall this is the second year since 1972 that we have not played senior. However, the way the team has applied themselves and the serious amount of effort they have put into the competition has made the whole parish proud. 

I would also say that all three teams we have played finished roughly in the same place in their respective league tables as we did, so we are not playing teams that are in some way below us.

I have also read posts here about Dan Gordon. He is playing for me the best football I have ever seen him play and is in some condition. Granted he is playing intermediate and not senior, but he was marked by a 2013 All Star (Walshe) last Sunday and Doohamlet didn't know what to do to try and stop him.

Finally, regards your post, TooLongRef, if you are going to post infantile posts at least try and spell Loughinisland correctly. I assume you have just moved to Down or you have just left school.

Aristo 60

rosskarr

Quote from: rosskarr on May 18, 2015, 04:17:58 PM
Quote from: A man from Down on May 18, 2015, 02:27:20 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 18, 2015, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: Rodders88 on May 18, 2015, 11:55:10 AM
The Harps looking very good this year. Would have been most peoples favorites to finish in the bottom 6 and  be playing Division 2 football next year.  Few more wins should see them safe with half the league campaign to go. Looked very fit on Friday night and looked like they had more in the tank. Very impressive.

Was very disappointed in the Bridge, they looked very average and was expecting a lot more from them. Anyone know if they had many missing? Benny must have been carrying an injury as he didn't start the game and wasn't very influential. Showed in patches that he still has that bit of class but not enough over the 40mins or so that he was on the filed.

Joe Murphy had a great game in Midfield, surely must be worth a look for the county team? Also Tieran Rushe is going to be a special player, was excellent again on Friday .
as I said on the Davison thread--once a soccer player always a soccer head.

"soccer head" showing your knowledge there....

If they are good enough and committed well then bring them in.
Committed until pre-season soccer training starts.
What's that you all said when I dare question the commitment of young Rushe the shining gaa star from up the hill?

TooLongRef

Quote from: rosskarr on November 20, 2015, 12:09:16 AM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 18, 2015, 04:17:58 PM
Quote from: A man from Down on May 18, 2015, 02:27:20 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 18, 2015, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: Rodders88 on May 18, 2015, 11:55:10 AM
The Harps looking very good this year. Would have been most peoples favorites to finish in the bottom 6 and  be playing Division 2 football next year.  Few more wins should see them safe with half the league campaign to go. Looked very fit on Friday night and looked like they had more in the tank. Very impressive.

Was very disappointed in the Bridge, they looked very average and was expecting a lot more from them. Anyone know if they had many missing? Benny must have been carrying an injury as he didn't start the game and wasn't very influential. Showed in patches that he still has that bit of class but not enough over the 40mins or so that he was on the filed.

Joe Murphy had a great game in Midfield, surely must be worth a look for the county team? Also Tieran Rushe is going to be a special player, was excellent again on Friday .
as I said on the Davison thread--once a soccer player always a soccer head.

"soccer head" showing your knowledge there....

If they are good enough and committed well then bring them in.
Committed until pre-season soccer training starts.
What's that you all said when I dare question the commitment of young Rushe the shining gaa star from up the hill?

Take your head out of your hole rosskarr you tool C carr's post is obviously a joke, or do you reckon Ryan Johnston really is playing hurling for castlewellan too?