The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on October 16, 2008, 07:44:30 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on October 16, 2008, 07:12:28 PM
Anyone hear about Castle Bar Sling running tomorrow in Tipp or what odds it is? 

9/1 on betfair...

Is this worth investing in?

Our Nail Loney

Maybe Bud will let us know?

Great Leighs 8.20    
1st 7 Atabaas Allure (FR) 4-1 F
2nd 1 Rapid Release (CAN) 8-1
3rd 4 Tobond (IRE) 9-2

magickingdom

Rip Van Winkle for Dewhurst as record bid goes to the wire

AIDAN O'BRIEN has confirmed Rip Van Winkle is on course for Saturday's Dewhurst Stakes at Newmarket, which could turn out to be a vital date for those hoping the champion trainer will break the world record for Group One wins in a year.

A month ago O'Brien was being quoted at odds of as short as 1 to 8 to break Bobby Frankel's record of 25 top-flight victories.

However, he is stalled on 21, and after odds-on defeats for Mastercraftsman and Yeats over the Arc weekend, as well as missing out on the Arc itself, O'Brien is now rated as high as 3 to 1 to break the record.

Rip Van Winkle was a drifter in Dewhurst betting yesterday, but O'Brien said yesterday of the unbeaten 2,000 Guineas favourite: "At the moment he is a runner and he seems to be fine in himself."

He also revealed his team for the Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita next weekend, with Duke Of Marmalade and Henrythenavigator due to take part in the Classic on the Los Angeles track's new synthetic surface.

Top American rider John Velasquez is on standby to ride whichever of the pair John Murtagh discards.

They will be joined at Santa Anita by US Ranger (Mile), Soldier Of Fortune and Red Rock Canyon (Turf) and Halfway To Heaven (Filly Mare Turf). Heart Shaped will run in the new juvenile fillies turf race, while the Champagne winner Westphalia will go in the juvenile turf. King Of Rome could also run on the under-card.

"Aidan has had a real good run during the summer when everything went right, but opportunities might be running out for him," said a spokesman for Cashmans, who rate O'Brien's record chances at 3 to 1.

Paddy Power are more hopeful at 5 to 4, but a spokesman said: "Rip Van Winkle more or less has to win the Dewhurst. Obviously he will be well represented at the Breeders' Cup too, but if he is going to break the record it will be tight."

O'Brien is also set to run Hebridean in Saturday's Champion Stakes. Declaration for that race and the Dewhurst takes place this morning.

© 2008 The Irish Times

not too many group 1's left for aob, he's given it some go tho. any fancys by anyone in the remaining group 1's

Our Nail Loney

Think hes sitting on 21 at the minute...

Possibile group ones...

Britain
Dewhurst Stakes Newmarket
Champion Stakes Newmarket
Racing Post Trophy Doncaster

France

Critérium International Saint-Cloud
Critérium de Saint-Cloud Saint-Cloud

Italy
Gran Criterium San Siro
Gran Premio del Jockey Club San Siro
Premio Lydia Tesio Capannelle
Premio Roma Capannelle

USA
14 Breeders Cup Races

Japan
Japan Cup

Australia
Cox Plate
Melbourne Cup

magickingdom

thanks nail, definitely going to have a punt on the ones in britian, dont think the travelling helps!

Louth Exile

Well done Nail, good double.

WOA was impressive enough and great to see him back, but you would have to think that he hasn't beaten anything! Don't like to say it but KK is not coming back and if he manages to get one decent win this season (as he turns 11) it would be something else.

Actually, if you remember KK's return in Gowran last year against Nickname, he looked good that day too, but was only flattering to deceive. I wouldn't expect much from WOA on his next appearance due to the "Bounce" factor, but with a bit of luck we will see something out of him, that he might at least be competitive against the Nichol's horses. Well, here is hoping anyway!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

full back

Ricoh lead from the break but was caught about a furlong and a half out and finished fourth.
Think he finished about 13/2. Had him done ew at 16/1. Hate it when a horse leads from the start.

Castle Bar Sling is 11/1 now on Betfair, but there are punters looking to back it a 33/1.
Any word for it today Bud?

Hardy

Still - it was great to see the first NH real NH race of the season. I agree with Louth Exile's take on it.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Louth Exile on October 16, 2008, 10:43:34 PM
Well done Nail, good double.

WOA was impressive enough and great to see him back, but you would have to think that he hasn't beaten anything! Don't like to say it but KK is not coming back and if he manages to get one decent win this season (as he turns 11) it would be something else.

Actually, if you remember KK's return in Gowran last year against Nickname, he looked good that day too, but was only flattering to deceive. I wouldn't expect much from WOA on his next appearance due to the "Bounce" factor, but with a bit of luck we will see something out of him, that he might at least be competitive against the Nichol's horses. Well, here is hoping anyway!

I'm under no  illusion that this horse will win the Gold Cup, just am happy that the price is dropping so I can do a bit of trading...

Great to see the NH back... Cheltenham today, few novice races that could show us a thing or two for the season

Razor Royale in the second excites me, as does Earth Planet, Nicholls in the first, had backed it a few times last year...

Our Nail Loney

Just saw Earth Planet's price there, might leave it, about 8/13... Maybe do the two in a double...

Our Nail Loney

Earth Planet dicked...

Razor Royale was jumping well and had just pulled level with the even money fave Ring The Boss when it fell at the second (or third) last...

Good to see Parsons Legacy back with a win, a potential Grand National horse, only pulled out this year due to injury if I remember rightly.

ardmhachaabu08

Katchit (4.35 Kempton) First run since Champ Hurdle....non handicap race...racing post seems to think that if this race were a handicap katchit would have to give 14lbs or more to its rivals....8/13 anyone ???
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann

ardmhachaabu08

great, just dicked my bet katchit did !!! first 3 of walsh/nicholls  Imsingingtheblues(5/2), Oumeyade(11/4) & Woolcombe Folly (4/5)  >:( having said that snap tie run a brave race and heard on RacingUK that most bookies have entered it into champ hurdle 09 betting at 16/1 wif katchit still fav @ 6s
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann

winsamsoon

lads saturday
Ouzbeck @9/1
Stimulation@ 9/2
New approach @6/4
Indian Pipe Dream @10/3 (Done the damage)

£2 lucky 15 . Got nearly 500 but would have been some bet had that other one got the nose in front.

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Louth Exile

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com