Greatest skill in football

Started by The Claw, December 13, 2006, 02:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Dempsey

Quote from: blanketattack on December 13, 2006, 03:49:37 PM
Quote from: The Claw on December 13, 2006, 02:39:19 PM
Greatest skill in football

Being able to give your man a belt without being spotted by the umpires, linesmen or ref..

thats easy, the mickey sheedy chip is the one, or the Maurice Fitz. C Mcdonald pt with the outside of the boot from the sideline

Lone Shark

I probably say this because it's something I am utterly hopeless at, but in terms of both effectiveness and impressiveness, it has to be high fielding for me. Spectacular stuff, and really lifts a team as well.

Mid Mon

Séan Cavanagh's diving block, which the all Ireland for Tyrone

The Claw

Maurice Fitz scoring a free from the 14 yrd line with his left foot off the ground was one of the best pieces of skill I ever saw.
Goocg has amazing skill, the things he can do with his hands are amazing.
C McD though has mastered the kick pass.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteSéan Cavanagh's diving block, which the all Ireland for Tyrone

It was Conor Gormley's

Anyway it's the Frank McGuigan dummy for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07it4_evog - not 1, not 2, not 3  but he does it 4 times - all leading to points for him

mouview

I told you here before, physically Michael Donnellan had it all. Catching, pace, scoring (off either foot), game reading, passing (foot / hand), blocking etc. Be hard to beat all of that.

belleaqua

Quote from: The Claw on December 13, 2006, 02:39:19 PM
What is there to chose from? THe contenders would be high fielding, tackling or blocking, kicking off the ground.full spead solo running,kicking outside of the boot.
Mine would be the solo dummy.

Fair to say that Michael Donnellan is excellent at everyone of these skills on the list, performing them with consistency.

lynchbhoy

Greatest skill

mastery of the kick (passing or scoring)

is above the other skills of
breaking ball collection
vision
dummy
solo run
high fielding
hand passing
penalty saving
blocking
free scoring (off the ground)
intelligence/confidence
creating space

etc

IMO

winsamsoon

It has to be the kick pass, If you have a good distributor of the ball in your team playing aound the centre half back position this will be formidable for any oponent. I would add that Maurice fizt is the best all rounder i have seen in my career. Mickey Linden and Canavan would also be well worth a shout. The pass always seems to fade into the back ground when we talk about games. It is always the block the catch or the score that dominates but behind most good scores there is a good pass. But i can see how there would be such a dicverse range of opinions 
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Fionntamhnach

To be its a basic one but the ability to be able to kick and solo with either foot on an equal basis is a valuable tool and a great skill to have, especially if you're a forward as you won't then be inclined to be so one sided that you are predictable to your marker.

screenexile

Dubh driocht

The high field is the one that does if for me. Last year's collapse by Down in a soakin Healy Park was illuminated by Benny's catch. Even out and out Tyrone men beside us said they had never seen one like it. Apart from the goal he didn't do much else that day.The only other highlight was Colgan's goal to win the minor game, after the boy who had spent the whole of the Mc Rory final sledging Joe Ireland had given away the free and got himself sent off. Revenge is a dish best served cold!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: The Claw on December 13, 2006, 04:24:27 PM
Maurice Fitz scoring a free from the 14 yrd line with his left foot off the ground was one of the best pieces of skill I ever saw.
What??  Where was it taken from?
Anyway seems like this thread has turned into a greatest score thread - go away and start your own - don't be hijacking this one :o

Galway15

For me when a person catches the ball way above a few others..i have a clubman who has some 'hangtime'..its a great skill..also ya can't beat the flick pick up!Maurice fitz scored a corker from under the hogan stand with his left foot..his 'weaker' one..god gift talent man

MacDanger

Being able to solo/pass/score with either foot, makes a player invaluable to a team and very hard to shadow/block.