12 (10.7%)
5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

sid waddell

Mayo have reached the final nine times since they last won the All-Ireland in 1951, and lost each time

In a desperate attempt to get a crucial edge ahead of Saturday's final, James Horan has turned to the one man who knows exactly how to stop ten in a row - Neil Lennon

Dublin beware

From the Bunker

Quote from: sid waddell on December 17, 2020, 05:48:04 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on December 17, 2020, 12:47:10 PM
Quote from: highorlow on December 17, 2020, 10:15:58 AM
QuoteMayo by 1 to 3 points, Dublin haven't been tested at all this year, Mayo a different animal, the intensity they bring to their Dublin games is unreal, Dublin could be caught out, However Dublin will probably require Mannion, Howard and Costello of the bench to save them.
Looking back at last year Dublin were not all that great and Kerry had them in the final only for David Morans fatigued passage of play.

would strongly disagree there. people seem to be very revisionist about the 2019 final already. dublin were completely in control of the first match and would have ran out very comfortable winners on the first day if they hadn't played an entire half with one man less. that kerry could only summon a draw in those circumstances speaks to the fact that it wasn't really a close game between equals. dublin wrapping it up comfortably the second day was a truer reflection of the reality of the gulf between the teams. both finals dublin played against kerry were nowhere near the same standard as those they played against mayo. mayo could have and should have beaten them at least once. kerry were never going to beat them realistically.
Dublin only won by one in 2013 despite getting at least one ridiculously soft goal - arguably two

Dublin could only summon a draw in 2016 even with two own goals

Dublin only won by a point in the replay in 2016 even though Mayo were down their best player for the entire second half, and only scored a goal because of penalty from a goalkeeping mistake, while Mayo were denied what should have been a penalty

Dublin only won by a point in 2017 despite scoring a goal in the first minute, - they should have played the last half an hour with a man less, Mayo should have had a penalty - so therefore Dublin should probably have lost

One could also argue that Dublin's goal in the 2019 replayed final should have been disallowed - which it should have been - it was clear overcarrying by Murchan

And that Kerry missed a penalty in the drawn final

Revisionism

In all the cases you have mentioned. Not once did Mayo hold the lead going into the last 5 minutes! They were never in control. Never once has a referee made a big decision against Dublin.

That boat has now sailed. The present Mayo team are only a shadow of the 2013-17 version.

Lar Naparka

QuoteMayo by 1 to 3 points, Dublin haven't been tested at all this year, Mayo a different animal, the intensity they bring to their Dublin games is unreal, Dublin could be caught out, However Dublin will probably require Mannion, Howard and Costello of the bench to save them.
Looking back at last year Dublin were not all that great and Kerry had them in the final only for David Morans fatigued passage of play.

would strongly disagree there. people seem to be very revisionist about the 2019 final already. dublin were completely in control of the first match and would have ran out very comfortable winners on the first day if they hadn't played an entire half with one man less. that kerry could only summon a draw in those circumstances speaks to the fact that it wasn't really a close game between equals. dublin wrapping it up comfortably the second day was a truer reflection of the reality of the gulf between the teams. both finals dublin played against kerry were nowhere near the same standard as those they played against mayo. mayo could have and should have beaten them at least once. kerry were never going to beat them realistically.
Dublin only won by one in 2013 despite getting at least one ridiculously soft goal - arguably two

Dublin only won by a point in the replay in 2016 even though Mayo were down their best player for the entire second half, and only scored a goal because of penalty from a goalkeeping mistake, while Mayo were denied what should have been a penalty

Dublin only won by a point in 2017 despite scoring a goal in the first minute, - they should have played the last half an hour with a man less, Mayo should have had a penalty - so therefore Dublin should probably have lost

One could also argue that Dublin's goal in the 2019 replayed final should have been disallowed - which it should have been - it was clear overcarrying by Murchan

Revisionism
+1
Have to agree with all that, sid.
The record is clear to see- Dublin rode their luck and were lucky to pull through at times. But where draws were concerned, they didn't make the same mistake and they never lost their cool when they had to dig deep and the result went down to the wire - as happened the '18 final.
I know that, for many, Kerry is being touted as the only viable threat to Dublin's dominance but I don't see this is the case. I'm going by the two games last year when Kerry, with their long tradition of success, could close out a game that Dublin seemed hell bent on throwing away.
Lesson learnt, Dublin made no mistake in the replay.
I've seen nothing since to indicate that Kerry have made progress and could pose a serious threat to Dublin. All the more so as they have dissension in the camp.
This may be at least a year too soon for Mayo but they won't get a better opportunity to end 69 years of waiting.
Frankly, I can't see any of the rest posing a threat to anyone- except possibly themselves.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

2 days out from the all Ireland and not a single article from a Dublin pundit about how the ref needs to be cute enough for Mayo's cynicism; normally you'd expect the Keegan (v Tipp) and McLaughlin (v Galway) incidents to be the topic of several pieces by Brogan, Whelan, etc.

That's how little we worry the Dubs this year  :(

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 17, 2020, 07:44:02 PM
2 days out from the all Ireland and not a single article from a Dublin pundit about how the ref needs to be cute enough for Mayo's cynicism; normally you'd expect the Keegan (v Tipp) and McLaughlin (v Galway) incidents to be the topic of several pieces by Brogan, Whelan, etc.

+1

WhoDat

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 17, 2020, 07:33:13 PM

Revisionism
+1
I've seen nothing since to indicate that Kerry have made progress and could pose a serious threat to Dublin. All the more so as they have dissension in the camp.

kerry are way off dublin at present and were way off them last year too. i see nothing to suggest that that will improve next year either. dublin simply have better players all over the pitch - better conditioning, better tackling, better athletes, better defending, better scorers, the whole lot. they've had better players all over the pitch against mayo too over the years (with the exception of a couple of the mayo lads here and there who were definitely as good as their dublin conterparts), but mayo's style over the last decade would have gotten under their skin a lot more than kerry's. kerry don't play with the wild intensity of mayo, they've never been as good at tackling as mayo have been. crucially, mayo just have never seemed to be that daunted by playing dublin. they're just not afraid of them. and i think that bothers dublin - they're used to teams just rolling over and being able to play every game on their own terms. mayo have often turned the tables on them in unexpected ways. kerry have neither the personel nor the playing style to really rattle dublin.

i think dublin would only love to hammer mayo in a final and put manners on them once and for all. i wouldn't be surprised to see that unfold on saturday. i think they'd like to dole out a beating that would even set them back a few years. i expect them to come charging out the gate and try to put it to bed early.

From the Bunker

Dublin to win senior, under 20 and Ladies over the weekend is 2/1!

whitey

LOL-remember the year the Dubs commercial director was given a guest slot on the Sunday Game to highlight some infringement by COC

Captain Obvious

Quote from: WhoDat on December 17, 2020, 09:40:10 PM
i think dublin would only love to hammer mayo in a final and put manners on them once and for all. i wouldn't be surprised to see that unfold on saturday. i think they'd like to dole out a beating that would even set them back a few years. i expect them to come charging out the gate and try to put it to bed early.

I'll be surprised if that happens as it 70s against Armagh since they hammered a team in All-Ireland final.

reillycavan

When have the dubs lads ever wrote a article  flagging Mayo cynicism outside Lee Keegan constant fouling in 2016?  Cant win if Whelan and Brogan  wrote article on Mayo constant fouling  this place(wouldn't take much) would go into meltdown.

rrhf

I think Mayo need to catch themselves on here. They should have won 3 or 4  in the last 10 years alone only they messed up the opportunities. Now they are back with another cracking team.  Are they going to roll over again or win the damn thing.

reillycavan

Quote from: WhoDat on December 17, 2020, 09:40:10 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 17, 2020, 07:33:13 PM

Revisionism
+1

kerry are way off dublin at present and were way off them last year too. i see nothing to suggest that that will improve next year either. dublin simply have better players all over the pitch - better conditioning, better tackling, better athletes, better defending, better scorers, the whole lot. they've had better players all over the pitch against mayo too over the years (with the exception of a couple of the mayo lads here and there who were definitely as good as their dublin conterparts), but mayo's style over the last decade would have gotten under their skin a lot more than kerry's. kerry don't play with the wild intensity of mayo, they've never been as good at tackling as mayo have been. crucially, mayo just have never seemed to be that daunted by playing dublin. they're just not afraid of them. and i think that bothers dublin - they're used to teams just rolling over and being able to play every game on their own terms. mayo have often turned the tables on them in unexpected ways. kerry have neither the personel nor the playing style to really rattle dublin.

Yerra .ye are nearly as good as lads below in kerry for the yerra talk. Mayo to do a Donegal 92. I read somewhere Des farrell has never won All Ireland in first in previous Dubs roles.

rrhf

I think that Mayo if they go all out to win and take their opportunities and don't shit the nest to win by 6 points. I really do...no distractions no big heads no excuses.

Angelo

Dublin are a very cynical and streetwise team, as much if not moreso than Mayo.

The O'Gara eyegouge barely got a mention on the coverage of the game a few years back, it was blatantly clear he knew what he was doing. When you compare and contrast that with the furore over Tiernan McCann who was vilified and correctly suspended as a result then you see it is one rule for one and another for another.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

macdanger2

Some good podcasts from Ah Ref this week - the one from video analyst Paul Jennings was interesting, the amount of detail they go into is unreal