We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

As a neutral, its look to me that its a testament to Connollys playing ability and greatness that is no so much talk on this forum, 41 pages in the height of championship on a nothing incident.

He has made mistakes on and off the field but based solely on this incident and taking nothing else into consideration its very harsh on him.

Id say he is still training and he will start the semi final if Dublin reach it.

Its the busiest weekend in the championship so far, i think its time to move on, the championship has been great so far IMO.

Main Street

Ironic to hear Joe Brolly complaining that Pat "..was like watching counsel for the prosecution. Pat had everything on but his Kerry blazer and his Kerry tie. I thought to myself after, the CCCC are going to act here."

Of course Joe would never confuse a pundit's role with being a counsel for the prosecution ::)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7EYe42Lln4

Subsequent media reports recorded that poor Sean was treated like a leper, people would cross the street in order to avoid him even in his own county, a pariah in a county of pariahs. I hope Diarmuid rises above this alleged dastardly character assassination, it must have been awful because I can't find a quote of it anywhere online, probably taken down I presume in order to protect the children.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 01, 2017, 12:27:47 AM
As a neutral, its look to me that its a testament to Connollys playing ability and greatness that is no so much talk on this forum, 41 pages in the height of championship on a nothing incident.

He has made mistakes on and off the field but based solely on this incident and taking nothing else into consideration its very harsh on him.

Id say he is still training and he will start the semi final if Dublin reach it.

Its the busiest weekend in the championship so far, i think its time to move on, the championship has been great so far IMO.

He got the minimum possible punishment for a clear as day infraction. It's not harsh, you could argue that it's lenient.

Jinxy

Quote from: Main Street on July 01, 2017, 01:08:15 PM
Ironic to hear Joe Brolly complaining that Pat "..was like watching counsel for the prosecution. Pat had everything on but his Kerry blazer and his Kerry tie. I thought to myself after, the CCCC are going to act here."

Of course Joe would never confuse a pundit's role with being a counsel for the prosecution ::)

Subsequent media reports recorded that poor Sean was treated like a leper, people would cross the street in order to avoid him even in his own county, a pariah in a county of pariahs. I hope Diarmuid rises above this alleged dastardly character assassination, it must have been awful because I can't find a quote of it anywhere online, probably taken down I presume in order to protect the children.

What Brolly did was actually much worse, in terms of character assassination.
As a Derry man, you could argue he particularly enjoyed sticking the knife into Sean.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 01, 2017, 01:30:33 PM

He got the minimum possible punishment for a clear as day infraction. It's not harsh, you could argue that it's lenient.

If it was "clear as day" why did the ref not issue a red card?

If the game had not been televised with no subsequent trial by television there would have been no suspension.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

macdanger2

Quote from: Main Street on July 01, 2017, 01:08:15 PM

Witch-hunt from Whelan on Paddy Durcan, presume Joe will call him out on it

GalwayBayBoy

It's a fairly open and shut case to be honest. Did he push the linesman albeit slightly? Yes.

And the punishment is pretty clear in the rulebook.

How the f**k it has rumbled on I have no idea.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Tubberman

I see Charlie Redmond is wading in on this. How is this fella let onto the airwaves - he's a clown of the highest order.
He made a tit of himself last year with his raving about Lee Keegan and he's doing it again now:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0718/891132-charlie-redmond

Charlie Redmond has hit back strongly at Jim McGuinness's suggestion that Jim Gavin should back down from his staunch defence of Diarmuid Connolly, and said the Dublin manager "has stood up for his player in a way that Jim McGuinness never did or never could do".

Dublin opted not to undertake one-to-one broadcast interviews following their 31-point win over Westmeath in the Leinster Football Championship semi-final on Sunday.

The decision was related to coverage of the incident with Connolly which saw the forward banned for 12 weeks after their game against Carlow, with Gavin claiming there was an "assault on [Connolly's] good name" through the media analysis of it, particularly on The Sunday Game.

In his Irish Times column, McGuinness wrote: "I do feel [Gavin]  made a mistake in this instance and the smart thing to do would be to retract the comments.

"Dublin are a big team and a big entity. Gavin is the top manager in the country. There is a responsibility that comes with that. This was a clear-cut incident: one of his players infringed and had to be punished."

"Jim Gavin has stood up for his player in a way that Jim McGuinness never did or never could do, because... there's a huge amount of loyalty within this Dublin team.
Redmond, speaking to 98fm Sport, claimed Gavin was merely protecting his player, and accused McGuinness of bringing "Gaelic games to depths that it has never seen previously", in reference to his defensive style when in charge of Donegal.

"Whatever Jim McGuinness says, I just completely disregard because that man brought Gaelic games to depths that it has never seen previously," said the former Dublin forward.

"That man's standing with me... he has none.

"Jim Gavin has stood up for his player in a way that Jim McGuinness never did or never could do, because... there's a huge amount of loyalty within this Dublin team.

"When somebody wrongs a Dublin player, and the Dublin people believe that Diarmuid Connolly was wronged, they are going to stand up and they are going to fight for him.

"And they're going to fight tooth and nail to make sure that player is represented. These players are fighting tooth and nail to give Diarmuid Connolly a chance to get back to Croke Park, albeit in a semi-final or a final if we can get there.

"They want Diarmuid Connolly to go on to Croke Park at some stage in this championship season and that's their goal."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Gael85

Fair play to DC. Showed excellent leadership in last 15 minutes and kicked a great point.

magpie seanie

I said it at the time that this incident was actually of benefit to Dublin. O'Callaghan had a brilliant year and Connolly was able to come into the game and exert a huge influence when it was needed. He was fresh and free from injury/suspension.

Mayo4Sam14

Havent read this thread, but personally love Diarmuid Connolly. Fantastic footballer and takes awful abuse.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Gael85 on September 19, 2017, 02:11:44 PM
Fair play to DC. Showed excellent leadership in last 15 minutes and kicked a great point.

Won the free too
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

J70

Quote from: Gael85 on September 19, 2017, 02:11:44 PM

He always kicks a great point or two.

Lost in the hype after Donegal ambushed them in 2014 was the fact that Connolly scored two of the best points I've ever seen, one on either foot, after jinking around multiple players in zero space.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 19, 2017, 05:55:24 PM
Havent read this thread, but personally love Diarmuid Connolly. Fantastic footballer and takes awful abuse.
+1