Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

meaningless game i know so all the more reason to try more kickpassing and attacking gameplan.same boring shite.

redzone

Second string team mostly so it was Gona be tough. Mcgeary despite making mistakes played well. Mchugh nowhere near county level,as is Ben McDonnell. loughran worth another look.oneill is usual self, mcurry was mcurry . Micky oneill probably hard for him when your second string is out. Roman mcnabb hasn't recovered from the cruicate and probably won't. McShane looked like he only got out of bed. Pete Hartes form is a major concern
The league game will be feisty, led by the ginger Pinocchio they will be their usual trampish selves

omagh_gael

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 17, 2018, 09:26:31 PM
meaningless game i know so all the more reason to try more kickpassing and attacking gameplan.same boring shite.

But the gameplan is different, there is definitely more presence in the FF line and more ball is being kicked in. It's madness to aspire to replicate the likes of Dublin and Kerry in this regard as we simply don't have the players to pull it off. I'm happy enough with how the gameplan is progressing.

Red zone, agree re Petey Harte. He's been extremely subdued this season and hasn't got going at all.

Jim Bob

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 17, 2018, 09:23:35 PM
By f**k you're one seriously moaning aul bollix. Do you ever just think why you bother watching if it's such a chore?

That was a meaningless game that allowed some of the fringe element to get a run out. The only thing I took from it was K McGeary was in fine form and McHugh played himself out of NFL time by wasting possession and taking on some crazy efforts.

Done and dusted and onwards to Castleblayney.

Ignore STG. I know for fact he is from Fermanagh who is on here winding.

Tyrone Gaa

Just watched Mickey Harte's interview with BBC after the game. He's a man on the edge, the criticism is obviously getting to him and he didn't react well when questioned about the style Tyrone play with. A lot of what was in the answer was ok but the tone came across to me that he was rattled.
Living the dream!!!

omagh_gael

Just saw that there now, I have never seen Mickey that rattled before. I hope BBC NI sent along extra drawers with their wardrobe dept as Sidebottom shite the togs there!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Bit to be done between now and the next, really meaningful, game involving the two of these teams. We'll see how that goes.  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

In hiding

I'd expect mickey to boycott the BBC from now on too. They have some cheek

Thebigdog

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on February 18, 2018, 12:00:57 AM
Just watched Mickey Harte's interview with BBC after the game. He's a man on the edge, the criticism is obviously getting to him and he didn't react well when questioned about the style Tyrone play with. A lot of what was in the answer was ok but the tone came across to me that he was rattled.
Seen the interview alright, the man is totally deluded in what he is saying. The world and his wife knows what the problem is. White coats should be called. Bye bye Tyrone.

redzone

Haven't watched it yet but straight after the match during the handshakes he looked to be fuming. No doubt someone has rattled him

lenny

Quote from: redzone on February 18, 2018, 07:01:57 AM
Haven't watched it yet but straight after the match during the handshakes he looked to be fuming. No doubt someone has rattled him

Harte was quite content to take all the praise and adulation during the glory years. He now seems unwilling or unable to accept any criticism when tyrone are suffering disappointing defeats in the big games. In fairness that was an enjoyable game last night and tyrone played their part. Might be the stephen o'neill effect but tyrone and donegal were a good bit more attacking than in the last few years.

tyroneman

Harte definitely rattled by some pretty straightforward questioning.

All Sidebottom had to do when Harte was going on about these great point totals Tyrone were racking up before they met Dublin was ask....'fair enough Mickey, so when was the last time you beat Dublin, Mayo or Kerry in the Championship playing that style of football?' 'Do you really think serving up the same again will result in any different outcome against those three come semi final time?'

The only decent results we have had since 2008 in the championship have been v Donegal and v Monaghan. That's it.

Cork, Dublin, Armagh, Mayo and Kerry have all put us out since then, with only 2016 being anywY close. Even then we spent the last 15 min of a 1 point game playing defensive shite and not pushing up trying to get anything.

So I can't see how these tactics are doing anything for us when it comes to winning an all Ireland.

Now maybe it's because we just don't have the players and Harte is going this way to try and keep us somewhat competitive.  We definitely don't have a good enough forward unit, we have (bar Brennan) no reliable free taker and when we opened up v Kildare and last night our defence was found wanting. So if Harte is cutting cloth to suit that's ok, but no reason to take the head off Sidebottom for what were legitimate questions.

Thebigdog

Harte talks about people's "lazy analysis" when saying every team plays defensive 'we re no different". The big teams or the big coaches have different gameplans for different matches whereas Tyrone have 1- 13- 1 and that's it. I do believe he and not everyone else suffers from "lazy analysis". Trying to make a fool out of Tyrone supporters it makes me sick!

omagh_gael

I'm not a Harte apologist, but to be fair to him we haven't been playing a one man FF line this year. There's been at least two men up for the vast majority of the time with more direct passing going in compared to last year.

I thought one of Sidebottom's earlier questions was on the ball, in that it appeared we were attempting to create much more goal chances. The last phase broke down but I think with a more confident FF line taking this approach over the coming months will make a difference in the summer.

It also annoys me when people give out about our tactics, it's not pleasing on the eye but wake up and smell the coffee. Look at the three teams that we can't eclipse when it matters. Their FF lines allow them to play in a way we can't. We don't have two to three men who are top notch ball winners alongside top class finishers. Kerry, Dublin and Mayo do. They also have expert 90% (or close to) free takers that keep the score board ticking over. We don't (yet).

Mayo have the least potent forward unit out of the top 3 but what they have is 7 top notch defenders who can go man to man no problem and do damage going forward too. Imagine if we had Higgins, Boyle, Keegan etc in defence. Do you still think Harte would play the system we play? No fecking chance. He is implementing what he thinks is our best strategy. Last year it was cruelly exposed and all we can really expect this year is a slight change in balance away from 1-13-1. We are seeing that slight amendment this year and those who think we'll change radically need their heads examined.

Tyrone Gaa

Another thing to point out is the role of teamtalk as well. Every match they secure an interview with Mickey but they don't ask the tough questions. A manager should be put in awkward situations and questioned about where he sees the team going or what needs to change. Good journalism from Sidebottom and the BBC.

Teamtalk provide great coverage of our games and I very much appreciate that service but they need to be a bit more hardline to reflect the feelings of Tyrone Gaa fans.
Living the dream!!!