Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bannside

Ooch Spike I felt that!

I want to make it clear that Im not pro establishment just for the sake of it. I have a prolonged history of taking the board to task and calling them out on their lack of ambition for Antrim Football.

I liked the make up of the new board and although they have not been foot perfect, they are making some good strides and nudging us towards a better place. As I have said many times, at the end of their tenure they will have left us in a much better place than they found us.

Whilst all that is well and good, their acid test for me personally is "What have they done for Antrim Football?", and will they leave it in a better place. To date there is absolutely no evidence of that, and very disappointingly, not one shred of an idea about a think tank, or how to set up any kind of sustainable meaningful structure going forward. It wont be done this term either with convention around the corner, but thats what I will be calling them out on if they are reinstated. They have had their honeymoon period.

Undoubtedly their main priorities were tidying up the financials, sorting out the social club issue and get to grips with Ulster council re Casement. Getting our county teams to become competitive was further down the list....and under the circumstances this can be justified. But that huge task must become a higher priority now.

In the meantime Spike I totally share your frustration. We cant ever assume Division Four/Three is our eternal lot. Youre right, we need to be more assertive, demand better, expect more from a county of our size.

Lenny has the football job, yes we still dont know about his backroom team, and the players will take a few weeks or months to form their own opinion about the set up. If its as progressive as was sold to the 3 man sub committee, then great, and I will be much more relaxed, because I do know exactly what was on offer in the alternative package (JMK).....and trust me it was impressive.

Its only right we provide all involved with the space to lay down their foundations, and if its top notch lets acknowledge that, and if its not, then make no mistake it will be called out for what it is. There is NO hiding place at this level.

Spike

Quote from: bannside on November 10, 2017, 10:47:41 AM
Ooch Spike I felt that!

I want to make it clear that Im not pro establishment just for the sake of it. I have a prolonged history of taking the board to task and calling them out on their lack of ambition for Antrim Football.

I liked the make up of the new board and although they have not been foot perfect, they are making some good strides and nudging us towards a better place. As I have said many times, at the end of their tenure they will have left us in a much better place than they found us.

Whilst all that is well and good, their acid test for me personally is "What have they done for Antrim Football?", and will they leave it in a better place. To date there is absolutely no evidence of that, and very disappointingly, not one shred of an idea about a think tank, or how to set up any kind of sustainable meaningful structure going forward. It wont be done this term either with convention around the corner, but thats what I will be calling them out on if they are reinstated. They have had their honeymoon period.

Undoubtedly their main priorities were tidying up the financials, sorting out the social club issue and get to grips with Ulster council re Casement. Getting our county teams to become competitive was further down the list....and under the circumstances this can be justified. But that huge task must become a higher priority now.

In the meantime Spike I totally share your frustration. We cant ever assume Division Four/Three is our eternal lot. Youre right, we need to be more assertive, demand better, expect more from a county of our size.

Lenny has the football job, yes we still dont know about his backroom team, and the players will take a few weeks or months to form their own opinion about the set up. If its as progressive as was sold to the 3 man sub committee, then great, and I will be much more relaxed, because I do know exactly what was on offer in the alternative package (JMK).....and trust me it was impressive.

Its only right we provide all involved with the space to lay down their foundations, and if its top notch lets acknowledge that, and if its not, then make no mistake it will be called out for what it is. There is NO hiding place at this level.

Bannside, I know you're not a 'Yes' man and have the GAA at heart and everything you've said above is reasoned and nuanced.

My problem, from the start of this, is that we have repeated the same formula for failure & stagnation, and are now expecting a different result.  If I think it, then some players will also think it, especially when they believed something more optimistic was being offered also, hence lukewarm reception. Maybe they'll have a change of heart after Christmas, who knows?   

Fully agree with comments on the board - honeymoon period is over.

I'll be the first person on here to hold my hands up and say I was wrong IF Lenny takes us out of Div 3 & 4. Is a a crack at Div 2 too much to ask? Its 5 years now since we beat Galway in Casement park.

country bumpkin

Ooch Spike I felt that!

I do recall your unlimited approval of the SV last year BS which included the vociferous support given when reports from senior camp, and possibly more importantly from within the minors suggested that the 'austerity programme' employed had descended to the absolute farcical when management were being forced into digging into their own pockets to ensure their charges were being fed.
Sew and reap.... ;)   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on November 10, 2017, 09:13:41 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2017, 08:11:18 AM
Can't blame them, too much effort ? Yeah plenty effort by staying away, dedicated Antrim men? Yep I see what you mean, well more time with their clubs can only improve them!

Read back on your posts and take a redner!

'There are none so blind as those who cannot see.'

You obviously have absolutely no knowledge at all of what sacrifices and training modern players go through. The days of a bag of balls, a lap of the field, shooting practice and a wee game are long gone.  If you had went through a few years of disillusionment and comedy training sessions up at the county then you'd soon realise why the eye rolls happen when they hear yet another bargain bucket home boy appointment has been made.   Smoke and mirrors with backroom staff, tight lipped budgets and piss poor trials.....sounds good.   

The only redner I would take is allowing myself to engage with someone who cannot think for themselves and toes the party line.  Establishment man image reinforced yet again (despite protestations) even though they continually dump on you.

Obama out  *mic drop*

I've no idea at all of how to take a team, coach a team, manage a team, work with committees or see the sessions the players put in!

Been down that road and I know exactly what it takes, funny enough so does Lenny, he's played for the county or the comedy show as you call it, he's played for his club in two Ulster finals in a row winning one of them and has managed a team to Croke park.. But you Spike have all the answers, full of shit, bar fly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 10, 2017, 11:26:00 AM
Ooch Spike I felt that!

I do recall your unlimited approval of the SV last year BS which included the vociferous support given when reports from senior camp, and possibly more importantly from within the minors suggested that the 'austerity programme' employed had descended to the absolute farcical when management were being forced into digging into their own pockets to ensure their charges were being fed.
Sew and reap.... ;)

Sow

paddyjohn

Quote from: AQMP on November 10, 2017, 01:07:43 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on November 10, 2017, 11:26:00 AM
Ooch Spike I felt that!

Sew and reap.... ;)

Sow

Awful thing to call anybody lad..

country bumpkin

So convention will look to employ tellers....four positions to be contested.
Chairman is opposed by J Mc Lean....
Seems MR2 has been keeping quiet....a post sought in the Row ;)

BrendanAntrim

A few challenges to existing Board members. We would be doing a Brexit style self inflicted wound if we don't keep current Board in place.

paddyjohn

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on November 10, 2017, 06:29:01 PM
A few challenges to existing Board members. We would be doing a Brexit style self inflicted wound if we don't keep current Board in place.

How?

Spike

They've certainly done some things well .....and other things (like repeated managerial appontments) shockingly.  Jurys out for the moment but prepared to sit and wait another year.   

TROUSERS

Ooch Spike I felt that!

What's so impressive about McKeever?

paddyjohn

Quote from: TROUSERS on November 10, 2017, 10:21:49 PM
Ooch Spike I felt that!

Just checking your posts there pal and there seems to be a reoccurring theme and that's McKeever. From what I can gather he had a very impressive backroom team and professional set up but for whatever reason he didn't get the job.

I've saw the list of players kept on and to be honest some of them didn't impress in the JFC & Div3 never mind at SFC & Div1. All we can do is keep the faith and wish Lenny all the best.

TROUSERS

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 11, 2017, 09:20:40 AM
Quote from: TROUSERS on November 10, 2017, 10:21:49 PM
Ooch Spike I felt that!

Just checking your posts there pal and there seems to be a reoccurring theme and that's McKeever. From what I can gather he had a very impressive backroom team and professional set up but for whatever reason he didn't get the job.

I've saw the list of players kept on and to be honest some of them didn't impress in the JFC & Div3 never mind at SFC & Div1. All we can do is keep the faith and wish Lenny all the best.

Recheck the posts never specifically mentioned McKeever before. Was just a question. Harbinson won senior all Ireland club but has been dismissed by nearly every poster on here and just trying to work out why.

bannside

Trousers, this has been discussed at length a month ago when Lenny got the post. Simply scroll back a few pages because nothing has changed. There are a few people here who would have preferred JMK, but thats not to say that they have "dismissed" Lenny. Sorry. but that term is too strong.

I would have a detailed knowledge of Johns CV, his references, who he was bringing with him (Conleith Gilligan has now been approached by three county managers to be their number two) right down to who was the man in the stand, the dietitian, the analysis team, S&C personnel, physio back up etc. Even down to securing positive vibes about securing additional funding from a few businesses who were happy to sponsor the "extras" etc. Everything was in place.

Lenny is still putting his backroom team together and hopefully it will be one that can inspire the players. Because whether its a JFC or an under ten team, thats what a manager needs to do. So all we can do now is trust that Alec Mc Quillan, Paul Mc Erlean and Ciaran Hamill got their call right...because they were the only ones privy to all the information.

I have absolutely no intention of undermining Lenny, who is a good guy and a credible candidate, and whom I personally wish nothing but the best. Please God he delivers a programme that can get the players buzzing

....because I have no doubt JMKs programme would have done that!