Ophelia

Started by J70, October 12, 2017, 03:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Yes but up here there has been far worse windy days, and schools are closed two days, which I've no problems with, business closed for the day, but someone making jokes about how the wind is not that bad has the PC police up in arms is just stupid, and using three people dying (which no one has made fun of) as a means to post is daft
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

Quote from: hardstation on October 16, 2017, 09:25:37 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 16, 2017, 09:13:09 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 16, 2017, 08:35:08 PM
Feck sake. People will comment on the effects of the storm, near them. Schools have been closed for two days here. IMO, the weather hasn't been that bad here so far and there has been a major over reaction.

I appreciate that the storm has been much worse in other parts of Ireland and sadly people have died due to its effects.

Not that the jokes bother me so much but it's a hurricane, hitting the country, that we can't predict... 3 people have died and you think there's been an over reaction??
It's not really a hurricane though. It's fairly windy. Schools have closed for 2 days. Nearly every shop in the district has closed. That is over reaction, for me.

3 poor souls were very unfortunate today and God help their people.

Wouldn't there have been a risk of more people dying if schools, etc. weren't closed though? I wouldn't consider it over reaction, just taking precautions

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 16, 2017, 09:41:07 PM
Feck sake. People will comment on the effects of the storm, near them. Schools have been closed for two days here. IMO, the weather hasn't been that bad here so far and there has been a major over reaction.

I appreciate that the storm has been much worse in other parts of Ireland and sadly people have died due to its effects.

Not that the jokes bother me so much but it's a hurricane, hitting the country, that we can't predict... 3 people have died and you think there's been an over reaction??
It's not really a hurricane though. It's fairly windy. Schools have closed for 2 days. Nearly every shop in the district has closed. That is over reaction, for me.

Wouldn't there have been a risk of more people dying if schools, etc. weren't closed though? I wouldn't consider it over reaction, just taking precautions

Exactly. You really have to spell it out it seems.

Small.......far away....

JimStynes

Up my direction it has been a bit windy alright but nothing really bad. Getting a day off school tomorrow again though. A bit unnecessary.

macdanger2

Quote from: hardstation on October 16, 2017, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 16, 2017, 09:41:07 PM

Not here. Twas tropical.

Perhaps but difficult to know that in advance especially in such a relatively small area as Ireland

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on October 16, 2017, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 16, 2017, 09:47:54 PM
Up my direction it has been a bit windy alright but nothing really bad. Getting a day off school tomorrow again though. A bit unnecessary.
Exactly. I didn't ever see a report anywhere that there was going to be an issue tomorrow.
There hasn't even been an issue today in this part of the country.

There might well be some issues not that far away, after all a man died in Ravensdale, and I'd say it is pretty draughty in the north-west right now, but they chose not itemise the schools concerned.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

longballin

i suppose with thousands of school children and buses etc better to be over cautious than sorry...

Milltown Row2

The reason the schools are closed is simple! They aren't aware if there is any damage at schools so collectively they closed them all to assess if there is damage and get it sorted... there are some areas down with electric but that's happened before...

The over reaction is based purely on how the weather is now, not how it was predicted... people dying has not been joked about or anything else other than grief for their families, but the usual suspects who have an agenda of sorts (god only knows what) will pick on something and make that their bee in their bonnet!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Nothing worth talking about in Armagh. f**king cleared a pile of shite in the garage to put the car in. Never again!

general_lee

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 16, 2017, 10:07:33 PM
Nothing worth talking about in Armagh. f**king cleared a pile of shite in the garage to put the car in. Never again!
You must live in a cave. Power cuts and trees down. Not comparable to other parts of the country but still hundreds of homes were without power earlier. Probably worth talking about no?

JimStynes

Quote from: general_lee on October 16, 2017, 10:26:26 PM
You must live in a cave. Power cuts and trees down. Not comparable to other parts of the country but still hundreds of homes were without power earlier. Probably worth talking about no?

We regularly get the end of hurricanes from the USA that do worse damage. Down South seems to have gotten it tight though all the same.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on October 16, 2017, 10:27:45 PM
You must live in a cave.
He used to but moved to Armagh years ago.
;D Decent work again there!

Tony Baloney

I can only speak about what I have seen. Power didn't flicker once, no real noise around the house. I'll know in the morning if there are any trees down or other issues.

Itchy

Much ado about nothing. I got a wash dried on the clothes line so wasn't all bad.

Rossfan

3 deaths, 350,000 houses without electricity isn't exactly "nothing".
How may deaths if we had full on daily business and lorry traffic, commuter travel and countless thousands of schoolkids and students all out and about?
And it was bloody bad in Southern parts and Salthill of course.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM