Best Club Rivalries in the GAA

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 11, 2007, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: bennydorano on June 11, 2007, 06:45:53 PM
According to a Cross woman I work with Silverbridge is their real derby.

Harps and Ogs have had a few interesting clashes.   Between the 3 of them Clady, Ballymacnab & Granemore had had some serious pigging matches

:D

And I have been to my fair of them, how some of those men walked off the field after a melee in Clady is beyond me. Clady are the dirtiest hewers in the county.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Onion Bag

Quote from: stew on February 22, 2008, 12:55:25 AM

Harps and Ogs have had a few interesting clashes.   Between the 3 of them Clady, Ballymacnab & Granemore had had some serious pigging matches

And I have been to my fair of them, how some of those men walked off the field after a melee in Clady is beyond me. Clady are the dirtiest hewers in the county.

What club are you from stew?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

stew

Quote from: Onion Bag on February 22, 2008, 08:32:36 AM
Quote from: stew on February 22, 2008, 12:55:25 AM

What club are you from stew?

Armagh Harps, the only show in Town.  :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 20, 2008, 10:27:58 AM
Put all 3 of you boys together and you match our record ;D

Well that's interesting BC - wasn't 1 of the 34 as Crossmaglen Red Hands? That being the case, and you counting the totals of both Rangers and the Red Hands, I reckon BC1 is thus supporting our side of the argument!   ;)

Rufus T Firefly

brokencrossbar1

QuoteQuote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 20, 2008, 10:27:58 AM
Put all 3 of you boys together and you match our record

Well that's interesting BC - wasn't 1 of the 34 as Crossmaglen Red Hands? That being the case, and you counting the totals of both Rangers and the Red Hands, I reckon BC1 is thus supporting our side of the argument!   

Shure, the boys will just win it again this year and avoid any ambiguity ;D

optimus euhregab

i remember a few years a go there was a fierce rivialrary between balinderry and glack. in one such occasion, glack were up by 5 points and balinderry got rattled and started a fite and the game was abandoned. enda muldoon got roasted that day by ur man micheal form glack. then they went for a pint after the game.

IVEDECIDED

I think St. Vincents had all the answers on Sunday brokencrossbar1 - that is exactly how to play Cross - play them off the park and let them worry about it. You could say 'They decided'!  ;D :D ;) :) ;D

Celt_Man

Just after coming across this particular thread now.... this year the Intermediate Championship in Cavan has thrown up some real first round Derby games... Ballyhaise and Drumalee.... both just outside Cavan town and there is certainly in love lost and then the big one.... my own club Cootehill Celtic against Drumgoon.... the town team, Cootehill, against the parish the town is in Drumgoon... one of my sources in the county board reckons it is the one game they didn't want to see in the senior, inter or junior championship.... don't want to use the word hate but we certainly don't like each other... gonna be a cracker especially since we are due to play in the final round of the leasgue two weeks before that as well!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Ballyhaise and Drumalee-my mouths watering already.Throw in the fact that Ballyhaise are managed by Gerry O Rourke who managed Drumalee to the Intermediate final in 2005 after beating Ballyhaise by a point in the Semi-finals in what was regarded as the best game of the Championship at all levels! Eamon Costello missed a last minute free to equalisethe game.Eamon is the son of one of the true Legends of the Drumalee club-Phelim Costello(RIP) There would b no love lost but I would still get on with most Ballyhaise players I know which is the way it should be! roll on July 27th

doire na raithe

Quote from: corn02 on February 19, 2008, 11:16:06 PM
I see your point Benny. I am confident, however, that the work done by the committee and the commitment shown by those within the club are enough to sustain Dromintee as a senior club. Yes our numbers are small, but the structures are in tact and I can not see it slipping any time soon.

Would have to disagree there, I don't see the talent coming through at underage but even more worringly, I don't believe that any individuals who are involved with underage football in Dromintee have the competence and foresight it takes to build a good youth set-up.

corn02

I would have to disagree wth your disagreement.

We are not looking for Micky Harte's at underage level, just boys who will keep them interested and display some grasp of the game, enough to imporve their skills.

The club treats the underage a lot better than it did when I was playing, which was only a few years ago. Full tracksuits, bags etc and trips down the country can only be an improvement. The numbers at under age football are as high as ever.

Regarding a lack of players coming through; we have representatives on nearly every underage County team. We have had starters this year on the Abbey's McRory Cup team as well as the St Paul' teams who done well in the Ulster vocationals with the help of three Dromintee men in charge. We are also contesting a Feile final in the morning.

Also, just because a player does not look look promoIing at 13/14, does not mean they can not develop. You never know who will turn out to be a good player. We had a thread recently started by one of the Meath lads, whose nephews went to Rugby because they were seen as bad players at U12. aLOT OF TIME FOR IMPROVEMENT BETWEEN 12 AND 20.

doire na raithe

I don't wish to argue here as clearly this is not what this thread is intended for. But firstly in fairness kit bags and tracksuits etc.. don't matter a shite. I do agree that development can happen at any age through 12 to 20 but I am talking about our developing talent if you will, those responsible for harnessing the future players of the club and unfortunately it would seem the majority are just parents of children involved who with respect have little or no idea of how to develope young players.

Anyway as I said, don;t want to piss off the other posters (thats a first you will say) by dragging down this particular thread into a discussion about dromintee underage.

jodyb

Quote from: corn02 on March 28, 2008, 05:18:42 PM
I would have to disagree wth your disagreement.

We are not looking for Micky Harte's at underage level, just boys who will keep them interested and display some grasp of the game, enough to imporve their skills.

The club treats the underage a lot better than it did when I was playing, which was only a few years ago. Full tracksuits, bags etc and trips down the country can only be an improvement. The numbers at under age football are as high as ever.

Regarding a lack of players coming through; we have representatives on nearly every underage County team. We have had starters this year on the Abbey's McRory Cup team as well as the St Paul' teams who done well in the Ulster vocationals with the help of three Dromintee men in charge. We are also contesting a Feile final in the morning.

Also, just because a player does not look look promoIing at 13/14, does not mean they can not develop. You never know who will turn out to be a good player. We had a thread recently started by one of the Meath lads, whose nephews went to Rugby because they were seen as bad players at U12. aLOT OF TIME FOR IMPROVEMENT BETWEEN 12 AND 20.

Serious question; Dromintee should have a cachment across the border should it not? How does that work? Or do the southern contingent play for Louth clubs?

doire na raithe

Our parish does run over the border by about a couple of miles and there are a couple who live in the south that are part of the club but its not significant, most who live inside our parish but on the otherside of the border wouldnt be part of the club.