Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: Targetman on April 28, 2018, 09:28:37 PM
Down u17's beat Armagh 0-11 to 0-8 aet in Newry this evening, while its always good to beat Armagh this was not great viewing, Down never scored in the second half of normal time which sort of sums up the poor standard on offer, mistakes galore by both teams kept it close, best player on the field for me was Down's full back (Lorcan Toal,Carryduff)
Never scored in 2nd half??? That's unbelievable. Were they ultra defensive or just poor. Armagh scored 4 goals in league against them. Anyone know 2ho they play next. Back door in the minor u17 now. But prob only in 1st round.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: snoopdog on April 29, 2018, 07:50:05 AM
Down u17's beat Armagh 0-11 to 0-8 aet in Newry this evening, while its always good to beat Armagh this was not great viewing, Down never scored in the second half of normal time which sort of sums up the poor standard on offer, mistakes galore by both teams kept it close, best player on the field for me was Down's full back (Lorcan Toal,Carryduff)
Never scored in 2nd half??? That's unbelievable. Were they ultra defensive or just poor. Armagh scored 4 goals in league against them. Anyone know 2ho they play next. Back door in the minor u17 now. But prob only in 1st round.

They play Tyrone next.

Targetman

Quote from: snoopdog on April 29, 2018, 07:50:05 AM
Set up very defensively but some of the shooting was brutal, missed a couple of goals as well, a few shooting drills required rather than hand passing which seems to be all we see now!

thewobbler

Development squads again.

The under-16 development squad is on duty every Saturday in August, and first two Saturdays in September.

But see, here's the thing. The club championships take place in August and September, I'm assuming on a round robin basis like last year.

Here's all the problems this causes:

- under 16 club teams can't train or play on Saturdays; too many key players away.
- if you've any semblance of player welfare in your system, under-16 clubs can't do too much on the Sunday either.
- county standard under-16s will be playing minor championship on Tuesday nights, so you'd like to think that they won't be trained hard Monday night either. No point in under 16 club training for championship football without their core players.
- obviously they can't train on wednesdays, as they've under 16 club championship on Thursday nights.
- which kind of rules out Friday night too.
- oh, we are back to Saturday.

——-

Then this knocks on. By September, weekday games need to throw in for 6.45. And it's all county championship too, which means an hour of driving for some matches.

The minor championship has the same quandary going on. They can't play Saturdays as the key under-16s are on county duty. So they get 6.45pm championship fixtures on Thursday nights. And more than a few minors are working on sites across the country.

You might squeeze a match in on a Sunday, but senior championship and hurling tend to get Sundays.

——

We want our clubs to develop players, but then we cut them off at the knees during club championship times.

——

I realise this is a regional competition and not only Down's doing. But still.

So many issues.

One simple solution.

Brick Tamlin

Did anyone see clownjim this morning?

elk

Watched Burren v cpn last night.Good entertaining game with some good football played and some promising young talent on show. Cpn showed a bit of backbone when Burren came back strongly at them in the second half. Only small gripe on the night was the ref let a couple of dangerous high tackles go.

downjim

Bad night at the office but looking forward to finishing the Bridge next week

supersub

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: supersub on May 05, 2018, 06:07:51 AM
Where you building?

He's building a bridge to try and to get over all those championship losses to Kilcoo over the past decade.  ;)
i usse an speelchekor

Hedgehunter

Are the fixtures starred this Friday evening?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Hedgehunter on May 09, 2018, 03:52:03 PM
Are the fixtures starred this Friday evening?

I don't think they (officially) can be until the 16th?

thewobbler

Seeing as Liverpool have made the Champions League final that evening, is the Ulster Council going to proceed with Down v Antrim at 7pm, or show a wee bit of sense and bring it forward an hour?

gaaman2016

Quote from: thewobbler on May 10, 2018, 07:28:31 AM
Seeing as Liverpool have made the Champions League final that evening, is the Ulster Council going to proceed with Down v Antrim at 7pm, or show a wee bit of sense and bring it forward an hour?

Similar situation arose in 2011, Down vs Armagh clashed with Man Utd in Champions League final and they wouldn't move the time

ardtole

From what I've been reading the Leinster council are going to bring the wexford hurling game forward (not sure who they are playing) and another game that evening. No word from Ulster council yet.

gaaman2016

Sense and GAA aren't two words that would appear in the same sentence too often