Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Anyone making the trek to cork on saturday??

Square Ball

what has happened with the girls? Could someone enlighten me
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

NP 76

yes redandblackareback heading away friday someone reckons 4 hours or so what about yourself . Cant see much change in team only for Murdock in goals

Lecale2

Quote from: Square Ball on March 08, 2011, 01:22:44 PM
what has happened with the girls? Could someone enlighten me

Ladies County Management Committee have all resigned today. No idea exactly why but something to do with minors ladies team I believe.

Brick Tamlin

Would someone please explain what exactly is the issue there with ladies minor team.
What is the fall-out over?

passedit

Don't Panic

smokeyjoe

Having just finished watching the game! I'm frustrated; there are a number of things which could have been done to avoid such a roasting!! I think that the game itself was a bit of a reality check for some of the people on these boards! We are clearly nowhere near the quality of that Cork team! The things that really disappoint me; Gordon not being taken out into the middle, we could not compete in the area plus to make matters worse he was getting a roasting in full back!! It didn't take master tactician to work that out! Was pleasantly surprised at how well Laverty preformed (I'm not a fan to be honest) but he showed tonight he has a role within the squad, same goes for Murtagh thought he played very well, put as the cork midfield were on top was starved of balls coming in!!

The lack of  clean and break ball won in the middle was horrendous. I think I could count on one hand the amount of catches we took on one hand, and break ball wasnt much better! I can't blame Murdock for his kicking (first game starting and although there were a few dodgy ones overall you can't say much other than that I hope McVeigh will be back soon, Murdock not just ready yet), I think that he wasn't helped with the work rate of the rest of the boys! Sometimes it didn't look as if some of them really wanted it!

Lack of discipline was shocking at times, have we not learnt any lessons from the final, (any fouls would be punished) they were tonight!! Also short frees in our own half/ inside our 45 puts us under serious pressure!!

Clarke played well in the first half when marked by cadogan, but was soundly marked by noel o Leary who won't give him the time on the ball that he needs to pull of those passes! People talk about how he is the complete footballer! I believe he is far from it! Technically very gifted, but sometimes I doubt his ability to win the dirty ball, and I haven't seen much in the way of beating a man! Carrying the ball at pace! Please don't come back a reply saying that I'm slagging him off, I just think there is room for improvement in those areas of his game!!

Niall Quinn

That's 24 exclamation marks in defeat.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

DaddyLongLegs

Just back from the game. Its a long road home after such a roasting. Dont know what it looked like on TV but Down just werent at the game. Cork looked fitter, more athletic, more hungry than Down throughout the whole game. Puts the AIF in context - Down not near the same level as Cork. We were beaten comprehensively at midfield on kickouts from both sides, we fluffed too many good chances while Cork seem to run at us and float over points at ease. And the goals!!! - very poor defensive mistakes. All in all, a bad day day for Down - beaten hands down by an impressibve Cork side. We have a lot of work still to do.

SHEEDY

we were given a serious reality check. really disapointed with the management, there didnt seem to be any lessons learned from AI final. midfield cleaned out again and too many easy frees conceded. agree with smokey joe about clarke. we need a result next to take pressure off before the last 2 games.
nil satis nisi optimum

Square Ball

bredagh beat clann na banna in the reserve league, no idea what the score was

dundrumite

Quote from: Square Ball on March 13, 2011, 08:00:49 PM
Can any posters ever remember a senior team in division 4 playing at all county reserve before?
It'll surely be a quick tour of 4 then out for Bredagh.

western exile

Quote from: dundrumite on March 13, 2011, 11:46:48 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on March 13, 2011, 08:00:49 PM
Can any posters ever remember a senior team in division 4 playing at all county reserve before?
It'll surely be a quick tour of 4 then out for Bredagh.
For one or two years in the eighties, Dromara senior team played in the East Down Reserve League instead of Division 4.
A few years later they were in Division 2, and playing in the Senior Championship!

Square Ball

Bredagh are Ulster Scor quiz champions and will represent the county and province in the final in Killarney, Congratulations to to the three of them.

sabhallphadraig

Quote from: Square Ball on March 14, 2011, 12:39:09 PM
Bredagh are Ulster Scor quiz champions and will represent the county and province in the final in Killarney, Congratulations to to the three of them.

Yes - well done to the Bredagh quiz team - they were excellent and now have a well deserved shot at the All-Ireland. Good Luck at the start of next month.

For the rest of the Down contingent at the Ulster Scor Final, its unfortunate that the results are based on adjudicator scoring where its impossible to tie markings to outcome! 3rd places awarded almost across the board for Down. Anyway, when's the footy starting.....