Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlad

Quote from: PAULD123 on March 02, 2011, 10:22:50 AM
I have read the comments with interest and many good points have been made. But the fact still remains that many other teams are regularly scoring 45s from the middle third and have at least 50% accuracy from the outside thirds. We are lucky to score half our 45s even in the middle section of the pitch. This could be worth up to two points per game and can't be readily dismissed.

I agree with many posts that expecting every 45 to result in a score is optimistic and that Goulding and Sheehan are exceptions rather than the rule. But I still think there is a gap between these guys and our record that at least needs closing. Okay so we shouldn't expect every one to go over but I don't think we put enough over.

But I am sure that I've not stumbled on something that the management aren't already aware of. They will be working on this. Each issue we have had up to now has clearly been addressed and worked on - Experience of bench players, Variation of kickouts, Tackling, Dropping the ball and slipping over, Fullback. Even things like Paddy Tally constantly running on the pitch against Mayo. Each issue has been addressed. Even in midfield in the Armagh game, the management tweaked the system to allow more recovery of possession to take place. I can say that in each game things are improved and clearly have been identified and worked on. I am sure this will be worked on too and improved.

I dont see why your mentioning this about running on the pitch, hes the selector/runner and is allowed onto the pitch if you were of knowledge of the rules of Gaelic Football as it states below and if he wasnt following the rules the 4th official would note it and the county board would be fined 500euro a go;

One Team Official (Maor Foirne, who is an
assistant to the Bainisteoir), may move
alongside the sidelines and enter the field
of play during a break in play - through the
Substitution Zone - to make changes and/or
to give instructions to players.

No1

QuoteThe big boys in the Premier Reserve league start on Sunday

;D

The big boys are welcome to it, trying to get our boys onto a pitch in the wilds of South Down at Noon on a Sunday was the hardest job I ever had!  Now if throw ins hadda been in The Marine at half 9 the night before then I woulda been guaranteed a full squad every time!!

Down Follower

Burren II's v Rostrevor II's - Fri 3/3/11 in Burren at 8pm under lights.

Should be a good start to the season with 2 traditionally strong reserve teams playing. Burren minus their under 21's i would guess as they play in the Ulster Final on Sunday!!

dundrumite

Quote from: No1 on March 02, 2011, 07:28:16 PM

;D

The big boys are welcome to it, trying to get our boys onto a pitch in the wilds of South Down at Noon on a Sunday was the hardest job I ever had!  Now if throw ins hadda been in The Marine at half 9 the night before then I woulda been guaranteed a full squad every time!!
Agree to a point but we would need to bring some fixtures to the Canal Court and home venues such as Maginns and Quinns Newastle, with the odd venture into Ulster to Kelly's and The elk and then we would be onto a winner as well.

Lecale2

Quote from: dundrumite on March 03, 2011, 07:53:09 PM
Quote from: No1 on March 02, 2011, 07:28:16 PM

;D

Agree to a point but we would need to bring some fixtures to the Canal Court and home venues such as Maginns and Quinns Newastle, with the odd venture into Ulster to Kelly's and The elk and then we would be onto a winner as well.

What about a darts league? Just to keep the lads out of the pubs.

FermGael

Lads why did you have to give the Gaa world Con Renyolds??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: FermGael on March 04, 2011, 12:04:55 PM
Lads why did you have to give the Gaa world Con Renyolds??

Its bad enough having to put up with him refereeing at club level and now he is at it at inter county I hear.

supersub

Rostrevor beat Burren by 3 points tonight in Burren in first game of PRFL. Good comeback by the reds against an understrength Burren team!

Mike Tyson

Anyone know the full story with the Ladies Minor management?

dundrumite

Hitting the headlines alright. Not sure what the full story is but to be withdrawing the management two weeks before the championship is lunacy in my opinion. Having bit of knowledge of some of the girls in the panel, there is a good team there and it's an awful awful pity preparations have been hampered in this way.

Mike Tyson

Heard the girls are fierce loyal to the management and refusing to train or play unless they are reinstated? Surely this isn't true?

lecale4

Prem Reserve II

Bredagh 4-08 Tullylish 1-11

Good to see John McAreavey playing in the Snr challenge beforehand

Highlander3

Did anyone see the Sigerson final this weekend?, how did the Down boys do?

NP 76

In response to Highlander saw both the final and the semi finals and no Down man stood out.Both Murney and Mc Cartan tried hard for the poly they were nothing special although John Fitzpatrick did rightly for UCD .Murney made a superb catch in the final but looked small compared to the other mid fielders .

spiritof91and94

Quote from: dundrumite on March 05, 2011, 03:14:37 PM
Hitting the headlines alright. Not sure what the full story is but to be withdrawing the management two weeks before the championship is lunacy in my opinion. Having bit of knowledge of some of the girls in the panel, there is a good team there and it's an awful awful pity preparations have been hampered in this way.

appears to be a personal agenda to me