Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Sean O Neills brother Kevin was the best kickers of 45s ever, rarely missed

thewobbler

I'm sure amallon could let us know for sure but I'm pretty sure that Coulter knocked over a handful of 45s en route to the 99 minor. Problem is that being a clubmate of Robbie Coulter, he probably didn't kick one again for 5 years! Also if a 45 is dropping short, then if there's one man you want lurking around the square, it's Benny.

I saw Gordon strike a few long range beauties from the ground in a club match a few years back and that's why he came to mind.

Clarke is still the best option all the same.

umpire

Brendan Toner rarely missed 45 for Down and Castlewellan. he the best i have seen.

Supersub. that was brilliant long range free kick (more that 50 yards out) in dying moment from Martin Clarke that knocked Burren out of SFC  a few years ago in Pettit Park.

superblues

benny did indeed score a 45 in the all ireland final off 99

guevara

Gregory McCartan comes to mind as a guy Ive seen slot them over from 45 & further with great ease. He has quite a lazy look to his kicking style & made it look effortless at times. I remember watching him come on in a Club game for Castlewellan & knock over 2/3 beauties from way out.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

No1

Do any of you have an idea when the reserve football league starts?

Oh and we haven't had a decent dead ball man since Gary Mason and Ross Carr quit, although Greg McCartan wasn't too bad.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: No1 on March 01, 2011, 10:08:05 PM

Oh and we haven't had a decent dead ball man since Gary Mason and Ross Carr quit, although Greg McCartan wasn't too bad.

Our first match for reserves is 17th April
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

NP 76

just a note on the 45 post stevie mc donnell didnt score a 45 on sat night he hit one but it was claimed in the square by dan without any probelm. Clarke hit a free from 45and scored with ease although he did miss one 45 the other dropped short and danny hughes scored from it.  last year there was no problem with clarkes 45s and he hit the majority of them although ambrose scored one against kerry i think it was the only one he did score.  Some else posted that benny coulter hits them dont think i have ever seen him hit a 45 for the seniors and its twelve years since he hit them for the minors.  There has been good 45 takers for down over the years brendan toner, gary mason ross carr gregory mc cartan shorty trainor to name but a few.  think we have to stick with clarke. 

supersub

Clarke regulary popped them over last year, there's no problem with him taking them.

I think the reserve league is supposed to start this weekend, well the premier reserve anyway!

5 Sams

Quote from: No1 on March 01, 2011, 10:08:05 PM

The big boys in the Premier Reserve league start on Sunday ;)...we're away to your beloved towny friends in Downpatrick.
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Quote from: umpire on March 01, 2011, 08:08:11 PM
Brendan Toner rarely missed 45 for Down and Castlewellan. he the best i have seen.Supersub. that was brilliant long range free kick (more that 50 yards out) in dying moment from Martin Clarke that knocked Burren out of SFC  a few years ago in Pettit Park.

Ah the boul Benjy...with the toe pointers :D

Being baised here but there was a certain Brendan Loughran from Ballyholland who won an AI minor medal in 77 who could pop over the 50s in his sleep.
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

Thought of Brendan Loughran  ok but only caught tail end of his flowing locks in the red and black .

PAULD123

I have read the comments with interest and many good points have been made. But the fact still remains that many other teams are regularly scoring 45s from the middle third and have at least 50% accuracy from the outside thirds. We are lucky to score half our 45s even in the middle section of the pitch. This could be worth up to two points per game and can't be readily dismissed.

I agree with many posts that expecting every 45 to result in a score is optimistic and that Goulding and Sheehan are exceptions rather than the rule. But I still think there is a gap between these guys and our record that at least needs closing. Okay so we shouldn't expect every one to go over but I don't think we put enough over.

But I am sure that I've not stumbled on something that the management aren't already aware of. They will be working on this. Each issue we have had up to now has clearly been addressed and worked on - Experience of bench players, Variation of kickouts, Tackling, Dropping the ball and slipping over, Fullback. Even things like Paddy Tally constantly running on the pitch against Mayo. Each issue has been addressed. Even in midfield in the Armagh game, the management tweaked the system to allow more recovery of possession to take place. I can say that in each game things are improved and clearly have been identified and worked on. I am sure this will be worked on too and improved.

dundrumite

Quote from: PAULD123 on March 02, 2011, 10:22:50 AM
I have read the comments with interest and many good points have been made. But the fact still remains that many other teams are regularly scoring 45s from the middle third and have at least 50% accuracy from the outside thirds. We are lucky to score half our 45s even in the middle section of the pitch. This could be worth up to two points per game and can't be readily dismissed.

I agree with many posts that expecting every 45 to result in a score is optimistic and that Goulding and Sheehan are exceptions rather than the rule. But I still think there is a gap between these guys and our record that at least needs closing. Okay so we shouldn't expect every one to go over but I don't think we put enough over.

But I am sure that I've not stumbled on something that the management aren't already aware of. They will be working on this. Each issue we have had up to now has clearly been addressed and worked on - Experience of bench players, Variation of kickouts, Tackling, Dropping the ball and slipping over, Fullback. Even things like Paddy Tally constantly running on the pitch against Mayo. Each issue has been addressed. Even in midfield in the Armagh game, the management tweaked the system to allow more recovery of possession to take place. I can say that in each game things are improved and clearly have been identified and worked on. I am sure this will be worked on too and improved.

Where are you getting these statistics from?
He was on quite a bit on Saturday night, he ran on and yelled at one of the defenders to turn and face the ball. Really didn't think it warranted a 50 Yard sprint to tell an inter county player an instruction, an under 10 should know to do.

PAULD123

Hand's up! It is purely anecdotal. I haven't actually analysed Goulding, Sheehan, John Doyle, Stevie or any of the other top team's 45 takers. I just feel that I see a lot more going over from their kickers than ours. But I'll hold my hands up, no I have no actual facts to prove it, but I've been to almost every game.

Paddy Tally was indeed on the pitch quite a bit, but seriously in Mayo he should have had a number on his back. Definitely was on a lot more in Castlebar than last Saturday.

Anyway my pint is that I feel we convert less 45s than the other top teams. And that is something that could end up deciding a tight game. Especially considering how good Cork and Kerry are at them.