Cork v Down 12-03-2011

Started by knockitdown, March 07, 2011, 09:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knockitdown

Lets get started. Would like to see Murtagh and Coulter together from the start. Assume Murdock will continue in nets, has wee James called any other keepers up? Avoid defet and I think Div 1 status would be safe.

SHEEDY

murtagh def deserves to start again after playing really well the last day out. if benny is fit id assume lavery would be the one to miss out. murdock should start in nets but really needs to work on his kick outs as cork cleaned us out in midfield in AI final. the rest of the team prob wont be changed to much. this is obviously the toughest game so far and should give us a good indication of just how far this down team have come.
nil satis nisi optimum

Dubh driocht

I know I'm in a minority here but if Benny is fit I wouldn't start Murtagh ;he brings more coming in to the game. Only other change would be Colgan to start in HB line. Brannigan has done well and gives his all but he will be forced to foul against Cork and Goulding will punish this.
How many of the Cork team were on the UCC panel ?

marym

There were ten players from Cork on the team. The goalie was the only one that started against Monaghan. Think 2 more might be on the training panel.

Banana Man

i see mccartan was interviewed in the irish news there says he has a plan b for varying the kickouts this time, at least he had the balls to admit that, fair play if you ask me, have to say mccartans honesty is very refreshing

whitegoodman

Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 07, 2011, 10:42:26 PM
I know I'm in a minority here but if Benny is fit I wouldn't start Murtagh ;he brings more coming in to the game. Only other change would be Colgan to start in HB line. Brannigan has done well and gives his all but he will be forced to foul against Cork and Goulding will punish this.
How many of the Cork team were on the UCC panel ?

If murtagh is dropped after the armagh performance id say he would be very demoralised, what does he have to do to get a start?!?

Colgan has impressed when he has come on this year...........as a midfielder, wouldnt have him anywhere near the half back line, he is seriously pushing king and fitzpatrick for a start in the middle though.

My 2 changes would be Garvey and Coulter for Brannigan and Laverty.  And i have nothing against Kilcoo in case ur wondering MDG.

On the point about james honesty, id say he is honest when he wants to be with the media, he seems to know what he is saying all the time and savy in what he does and doesnt let the media know.  Never bigs up the players or gives digs to the opposition, a bit like Mickey Harte in that regard.

NP 76

Says on teletext Coulter doubtful with hamstring .Garvey should come in for Brannigan although i think Aidan has improved with each outing getting up and down the field in support although dodgy on the ball at times. Murtagh has to start won every ball that went in to him and scored 2 good points but tends to get himself killed at times by not getting rid of ball

PAULD123

I don't think who starts or who comes on is the most important issue. I see us as having at least 8-9 forwards that will be involved. As long as they are involved and contribute that's the important thing. Sure Danny, Marty and Benny would play the full 70 in all normal circumstances but McComiskey, Poland, Murtagh, Laverty, Maginn, and even J Clarke all have different things to add that could be important at different times in the game.

Quite possibly we shouldn't be looking for to find our best 6 but instead looking at the best way to get the maximum contribution out of our top 8-9 forwards and be expecting them all to play in every game.

It seems to me that James has that outlook.

marym

Cadogan has opted for the footballers this weekend .

western exile

Quote from: marym on March 08, 2011, 07:57:00 PM
Cadogan has opted for the footballers this weekend .
Expect Down to finish with 14 men. That man would try the patience of Job!

Kerry Mike

QuoteExpect Down to finish with 14 men. That man would try the patience of Job!

And I thought it was only us humble Kerry folk who Eoin Cardigan wound up !!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

passedit

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 10, 2011, 09:35:27 AM

Eh? You're saying he never wound anyone up?
Don't Panic

western exile

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 10, 2011, 09:35:27 AM

Oxymoron

marym

Some footballer though.He gave one of the best individuals displays in football seen for many a day against Monaghan.

Dubh driocht

Cadogan is an excellent footballer - is he the only man from Douglas in the panel ?
The Cork FB line will get a much harder time than they did in the AI final. Down's style of play has improved and is much more effective, Mc Comiskey was on fire in the final and friends of mine in Cork can't believe he hasn't tied down a regular starting place. I expect to see a lot of him on Saturday (although he may not start) and it is a sign of our strength that even if Benny is absent, we will give their defence plenty to think about.
This will be by far Down's hardest game (we let Mayo back into it ) but we will have added motivation to put in a big shift in Pairc Ui Rinn. A draw is a fair bet.