Cork v Down 12-03-2011

Started by knockitdown, March 07, 2011, 09:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

An awful lot of negativity on here.  Lets take stock and think about where we have come from since the disaster days in fermanagh and wicklow just 2 short years ago.  We are now giving the best team in ireland a game of it for 55-60 mins before running out of steam, something that i wouldnt get too worried about in the middle of march.

For the first time in years i can say with confidence that we are well inside the top 8 teams in the country.  If u take out Cork, Kerry and Dublin I would have confidence that we can beat any team in the country.  An ulster title should be our aim this year.

On the game itself I feel a bit sorry for both the keeper and the midfielders.  With none of the half forward line anywhere near 6ft the options other than to hit it straight down the middle are limited.  Perhaps given his size Rooney should be showing himself as an option on the wings more but hughes, poland,mcginn or clarke are not going to win their own ball.  Id play coulter in the half forward line when fit to win dirty ball and provide another option at kickouts.

Id stick with what we have at midfield, Dan has generally been excellent at FB even though he was given a bit of a roasting last night.  The way i look at it is what is the alternative at full back and what is the alternative at midfield.  We can play fitzpatrick, king and ambrose when he is fit at midfield instead of dan but who is the alternative at FB, the idea of King at FB is funny!!!!

Unlike previous games the subs didnt work out last night, IMO having mccumisky and laverty in the full forward line was wrong,one or the other not both and colgan, garvey or clarke didnt have much of an impact.

For me changes for next week would be Garvey for Brannigan and coulter for mcginn if fit.

Finally and i didnt think id be saying this but we missed dan mccartan last night!!!

Leo

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 13, 2011, 01:25:41 PM

Finally and i didnt think id be saying this but we missed dan mccartan last night!!!

As a Daniel-sceptic I have to agree. His steely determination has lifted other players who maybe have greater footballing skills but certainly not as much grit. Rafferty also a big miss. In my assessment I hope i wasn't full of negativity just calling it like it is. Back to the drawing board on full back and while KK may not have 70 mins in him at midfield at this stage he gives all in his shift and was far from at fault last night. Would love to see by championship time a midfield pairing of KK and Dan with Ambrose roving in fromm a wing half forward position to give it that bit extra.

Team for Armagh subject to fitness:
McVeigh
McCartan D, Rooney, Rafferty
McKernan, Garvey, Howard
Gordon, King
Hughes, Poland, Rodgers
Murtagh, Coulter, Clarke M
Fierce tame altogether

downgirl

Quote from: PAULD123 on March 11, 2011, 05:45:26 PM
Do Northeners actually get caught for not paying the toll? I mean do they actually manage to track people down?

Don't bother paying it, I'm up and down at least once a month and I haven't been billed yet.

Great to see the supporters down in their droves, all the Cork people I was talking to thought it was fantastic that there was that level of support.  The goals won it for Cork last night, the scoreline definitely does not reflect the match.  Would love to see Alder in the nets against Monaghan. 

whitegoodman

Interesting team Leo.

On current form i would have gerrard mccartan on before Howard.  I would also keep dan at fb as think he is the best option we have there and has had more good days than bad days in that position.

Think if ambrose is fit he has to play in the centre and midfield would be the position id play him.  Remember POR and Ross both trying him on the wing and he struggles to get into games playing there IMO.

My team for the armagh match for what its worth

McVeigh
D McCartan, Gordon, Rafferty
McKernan, Rooney, Garvey
King, Ambrose
Hughes, Poland, Coulter
McCumisky, Murtagh, M Clarke

NP 76

all in all poor night saturday. Dont think big Kalum or Peter were as bad as they are being painted.  At the end of the day there isnt many other options in this sector although when colgan came on i would of put king in at full forward as another option of kicking the ball in. Gordon might win a few balls at midfield alright but i dont think he would do the work up and down the field that fitzpatrick does. Dont think Rooney at full back would be the answer he played there before with limited success better out the field.  Defence really needs Daniel back as he organises them all even K Mc Kernan and would not leave Gordon as exposed as he was at times the other night Gerald Mc Cartan done well and gets up the field to support  the forwards  There is no goal threat when Benny is not advailable more chance of getting a goal from Fitzpatrick .Thought O Learys tackle on Poland was desperate and should of been red worst than what Brannigan did imo