Sigerson Cup 2011 - live scores

Started by GAA_Punter, February 16, 2011, 08:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Tony Daily on March 05, 2011, 07:20:10 PM
lads ye are all commenting on the final like its a normal game - this was these lads 3rd game in 3 days - how the f**k to ye expect lads to be fresh and able to show their full potential after 3 games in 3 days - you hear professionals all over the world saying they are playing 2 many games in short of periods of time without enough rest - and we have posters on here giving out about the standard of football - fair play to both teams - decent game under very hard circumstances - Sigerson is about unity of purpose and a team efort - not idividuals.

Spot on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

redandblack4ever

Thanks for the info, screenexile. I still haven't found out why they use this insignia. I'll keep looking for the reason for it.

Mrs.redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

redandblack4ever

Quote from: Jinxy on March 05, 2011, 07:59:29 PM
Quote from: redandblack4ever on March 05, 2011, 07:15:32 PM
Just finished watching the Sigerson Final on TG4. I thought the team that played the better football over 60 minutes won in the end. It was far from a dazzling display from either side though.

Does anyone know what team has won the most Sigerson's over the course of this competion?

One other thing, why did UCC choose to place the "Death's Head" insignia on their jerseys? As an American who had an uncle die in France fighting the SS Panzers during the Battle of the Bulge seeing that insignia is rather disturbing.

Mrs. redandblack4ever

I assume you found 'Pirates of the Caribbean' equally disturbing.

I've never seen any of the Pirates of the Carribean movies. Besides the use of the "Death Head's" insignia in a series of movies about pirates long before the scourge of the SS was even thought of is not my point. I just want an answer to why UCC uses it.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

redandblack4ever

Thanks once agaiin for the info, screenexile. That was very informative...Now I can go back to the Tyrone Derry game.

Mrs. redandblack4ever

NP 76

Have to agree with family guy thought Donnelly very poor scored a great point but didnt do much else only telling everyone else what to do .UCC better team ethic UUJ seemed to all for themselves not for the team . Thought Mark Collins Sean Kiely Johnny Buckley and both mid fielders excellent for UCC.All UUJ best performances were in defence bar mc manus. They really could of done with Jamie Clarke.

Jinxy

Best player for UCC was the wing forward Spillane I thought.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

NP 76

Spillane was excellent as he was yesterday also .He covers a serious amount of ground to help out , To be honest UUJ were poor enough yesterday against Maynooth and were lucky enough too many big names . Wasnt sure but do UCC have any senior inter county players . Fair play to Billy Morgan

ck

The general concencus on here seems to be that UCC were a real team who worked for one another, UUJ were a team of individuals with big reputations/names but not much else. UUJ would be well known for dangling carrots to get "big names" in, and today proved that that policy can only bring you so far. They looked like a bunch of strangers at times today.

Most of the UCC squad were from Kerry/Cork and not that many county players. Says it all really.

KIDDO 4

University College Dublin (UCD)   Dublin   32   
National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG, formerly UCG)=22   
University College Cork (UCC)   Cork   20
Queens University Belfast (QUB GAA)8      
University of Ulster, Jordanstown (UUJ)   Antrim5   
Institute of Technology, Sligo   Sligo   3   
Institute of Technology, Tralee   Kerry   3
Cork Institute of Technology (CIT)   Cork   1   
Dublin City University (DCU)   Dublin   2   
St. Mary's University College (Belfast)   Antrim1   
National University of Ireland, Maynooth (NUIM)   Kildare1   

Minder

Quote from: ck on March 05, 2011, 11:31:24 PM
The general concencus on here seems to be that UCC were a real team who worked for one another, UUJ were a team of individuals with big reputations/names but not much else. UUJ would be well known for dangling carrots to get "big names" in, and today proved that that policy can only bring you so far. They looked like a bunch of strangers at times today.

Most of the UCC squad were from Kerry/Cork and not that many county players. Says it all really.

Yet you reckon the Sigerson is a "treasure" ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

DuffleKing

Quote from: Minder on March 06, 2011, 04:29:17 AM

It is very much that minder. The capacity to mould a team is one of the great x factors of sport, never mind football. It's rare in sigerson football for anything other than a tight unit to win out

ck

Are you serious?
[/quote]

Yeah very serious. What other competition has a combination of county stars from different counties along with quality club players, playing in their prime around 21 years old? I just think its a complete sham that they are asked to play 3 days in a row. Completely de-values the whole thing
[/quote]

Railway Cup??
[/quote]

"along with quality club players" !!
[/quote]

I know of players that have played Railway cup and couldn't get on their County team that season.  Johnny McIntosh From Antrim
[/quote]

LOL who the hell is Johnny McIntosh?! I assume you are refferring to hurling? Hardly the same as football!! Especially in Ulster!
[/quote]

Completely different to Football, it involves a Caman and a sliotar, centuries old and the fastest team field sport in the world
[/quote]

Oh Milltown, wise up will ya.  ::) We were talking about FOOTBALL and there not being any other competition like the Sigerson where you have county lads playing with good club players, all from different counties... then you bring in Railway cup HURLING into it as a comparison?! The Ulster railway cup team is harldy an example of anything positive given that hardly any of the province play the damn game, so it's essentially an Antrim team. 

ck

Quote from: Minder on March 06, 2011, 04:29:17 AM

Yes absolutely. It's a terrific competition. It has been degraded in recent years as a handful of colleges have tried to pull in players to win it. (Sorry to go down this road again). I think it's a great competition as long as colleges leave lads alone to go to the colleges they want.