Timing of all Ireland Senior Finals

Started by seafoid, July 19, 2018, 01:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

No counties named, no real reasons given except:

They believe that playing both of them in August is not necessary from a club fixtures' standpoint and merely has the effect of throwing away valuable promotional opportunities.

What counties?

Can please anyone these days.

#Clubfirst

johnnycool

This is media driven if anything.

Can't see the players or even the County Boards being against it as there's a higher ratio of games to training sessions which the players were crying out for and the reduced intercounty season keeps the expenses down as well.

September is now free for all counties to get club championships underway.

I have no issues with this at all, but the back pages of newspapers are going to be sparse a month earlier than usual.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: johnnycool on July 19, 2018, 03:44:05 PM
This is media driven if anything.

Can't see the players or even the County Boards being against it as there's a higher ratio of games to training sessions which the players were crying out for and the reduced intercounty season keeps the expenses down as well.

September is now free for all counties to get club championships underway.

I have no issues with this at all, but the back pages of newspapers are going to be sparse a month earlier than usual.

Looking at the author this is a deliberate CP leak.
#newbridgeornowhere

mouview

I suppose we can't discount it until we see what it's like, but hurling final in August seems a bit like having Christmas Day in November.

johnnycool

Quote from: mouview on July 19, 2018, 04:25:45 PM
I suppose we can't discount it until we see what it's like, but hurling final in August seems a bit like having Christmas Day in November.

You Galway men should be happier as you won't be running the club championships in the depths of winter although some clubs may come unstuck yet again with lads in the US on temporary transfers and all the committee meetings that takes to sort out!

mouview

Quote from: johnnycool on July 19, 2018, 04:33:16 PM

You Galway men should be happier as you won't be running the club championships in the depths of winter although some clubs may come unstuck yet again with lads in the US on temporary transfers and all the committee meetings that takes to sort out!

They've rarely finished before the depths of winter anyway; strangely enough, you can often have a better hurling day in later November than in the middle of October.

Syferus

Well, Christmas Day is overhyped but it doesn't come close to the hurling championship for hyperbole.. doesn't the hurling final have bother selling out most years?

TheClubman

Moving the AI Finals out of September was pointless without an overarching plan to tackle the fixtures problem. A band aid to cure a broken leg.

Ball Hopper

There was a suggestion a while back that the All-Ireland Club finals be completed in the calendar year.  Did anything come of it? 

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2018, 04:54:25 PM

Well, Christmas Day is overhyped but it doesn't come close to the hurling championship for hyperbole.. doesn't the hurling final have bother selling out most years?
No.
Most Rossies would have more time for hurling in my experience
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU