The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

How do Republican supporters feel about the state of health of the party?

sid waddell

Quote from: Main Street on December 05, 2020, 07:32:35 AM
While the Trump legal campaign losing streak continues unabated, Reuters publish registered figures that the steal conspiracy  campaign has been very successful in scamming over $200m from republicans, but has only spent $9m. That expenditure includes $2m in a sms grift, targetting mugs (aka republicans supporters). Another expense was $3m in Georgia to cover the recount cost which resulted in 87 extra votes for Joe and Kamala. That's about $34,000 per vote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-election-trump-expenses/trump-campaign-spent-more-than-2-million-on-election-lawyers-including-jenna-ellis-idUSKBN28E2VG
Right-wing politics always comes back to the grift, to the scam, to the shameless self-enriching off the backs of gullible idiots

Many Trump supporters are some of the most stupid people in the world, but they are also victims

Victims who have been suckered into having abhorrent views, but victims nonetheless

armaghniac

People chose their own views and they don't have to listen to Trump, there are plenty of other sources of information around. Trump supporters are not victims, they are self indulgent prats.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: LCohen on December 05, 2020, 08:08:47 AM
How do Republican supporters feel about the state of health of the party?

It's unfortunately serious, but it's also amusing to watch.

All madly trying to disown the two QAnon lawyers whom they so recently had warmly embraced.

Getting hammered over and over again by GOP judges for their frivolous, evidence-free attempts to get entire state votes thrown out.

Trump, becoming increasingly irrelevant, caught between his primary motivation, his own personal needs and wants, and that of his party, all while he has completely ceased even trying to look like he's doing his actual job.

The GOP, for decades, has cultivated and nurtured the paranoid, irrational, pseudoscientific, bigoted lunatic fringe of American society to the point where it now entails a controlling majority of its party, from the bottom to the top.

They're stuck with it, as we all unfortunately are, but at least the rest of us didn't ask for it.

Lincoln and TR Roosevelt must be rolling over in their graves.

sid waddell

Quote from: armaghniac on December 05, 2020, 12:41:32 PM
People chose their own views and they don't have to listen to Trump, there are plenty of other sources of information around. Trump supporters are not victims, they are self indulgent prats.
I think they are victims of a sort

They are obviously not the primary victims, there are many, many people who are far bigger victims of Trump and toxic right-wing politics than them

I suppose my point is that propaganda works - if a country's media is allowed to be over run with toxic views which always blames an "out" group, it's not surprising when a lot of people who have shit lives believe these views

They have been invited to completely retreat into a fever dream of feelings which rejects complex reality - and they are not equipped with the tools to understand that they are being played for fools

This was the case in Nazi Germany, Unionist Northern Ireland, Brexit Britain and Republican America

They are victims in the same way that people who fall into cults are victims

The running down of education is a key part of this - that they are ill-equipped to understand they are being played for fools is the deliberate result of decades of right-wing policy

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 01:39:21 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 05, 2020, 12:41:32 PM
I think they are victims of a sort

They are obviously not the primary victims, there are many, many people who are far bigger victims of Trump and toxic right-wing politics than them

I suppose my point is that propaganda works - if a country's media is allowed to be over run with toxic views which always blames an "out" group, it's not surprising when a lot of people who have shit lives believe these views

They have been invited to completely retreat into a fever dream of feelings which rejects complex reality - and they are not equipped with the tools to understand that they are being played for fools

This was the case in Nazi Germany, Unionist Northern Ireland, Brexit Britain and Republican America

They are victims in the same way that people who fall into cults are victims

The running down of education is a key part of this - that they are ill-equipped to understand they are being played for fools is the deliberate result of decades of right-wing policy

Has anyone been getting ads for the Tuttle Twins children's books in their FB feed? I've been getting it. It's libertarian propaganda disguised as a homeschooling resource. You thought the cult of Ayn Rand was bad, there's a whole new generation that's going to be raised on nothing but that crap. This problem of conservative factophobia is not going away anytime soon.

HiMucker

Quote from: Gmac on December 04, 2020, 08:42:40 PM
Joe broke his foot chasing a puppy around naked after a shower ? Hopefully that's just a joe gaffe
Hi Gmac how are you? What would you like Biden to do, or policies to implement to guarantee your vote in 4 years time?

Eamonnca1

Guliani has the rona! He'a the gift that keeps on giving! I wonder if shit-leaking-from-one's-head is a comorbidity.

Oh and the restaurants in Florida seem to be packed. People might scoff at California's growing cases but at least we're trying to do something about it. The red states seem determined to go down in a blaze of glory of mass death.

Eamonnca1

RWNJ terrorists in action. I await the reaction from the so-called "party of family values" and Fox News' coverage of this little episode of the so-called "'war on Christmas" with great interest:

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 07, 2020, 04:47:16 AM
RWNJ terrorists in action. I await the reaction from the so-called "party of family values" and Fox News' coverage of this little episode of the so-called "'war on Christmas" with great interest:

All because of poor Donnie's hurt feelings.

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 06, 2020, 10:51:20 PM
Guliani has the rona! He'a the gift that keeps on giving! I wonder if shit-leaking-from-one's-head is a comorbidity.

Oh and the restaurants in Florida seem to be packed. People might scoff at California's growing cases but at least we're trying to do something about it. The red states seem determined to go down in a blaze of glory of mass death.

Apparently the Arizona legislature is now shut down because of all the GOP idiots who attended Giuliani's pantomine hearing.

Main Street

Since he hooked up with Trump, Rudy has fallen upon his true calling in life, a conspiracy/virus super spreader.

Gmac

Quote from: Main Street on December 08, 2020, 12:55:56 AM
Since he hooked up with Trump, Rudy has fallen upon his true calling in life, a conspiracy/virus super spreader.
meanwhile out on the west coast Democrat law makers have legalized heroin and meth in Washington state , the la county prosecutors are not prosecuting the following crimes driving without a license  , trespassing, disturbing the peace, prostitution and resisting arrest . In San Francisco it is illegal to smoke a cigarette or vape in an apartment but smoking marijuana is ok , also in sf you can't smoke within 35 feet of a business but junkies shoot themselves up in business shopfronts with impunity . Liberals being tolerant of all sorts of anti social and illegal activities is destroying the quality of life for the law abiding tax paying residents of these cities .
Also 40 more people shot in Chicago over weekend and 37 the weekend before ,  a liberals paradise.

Gabriel_Hurl

lol - you can't even get the first "fact" in your rant correct. Washington state hasn't legalized heroin or meth.

You may be thinking of Oregon - who recently voted to decriminalize possession of them.

Maybe stay away from those lads puffing on the devil's lettuce  ::)

J70

Quote from: Gmac on December 08, 2020, 11:18:36 AM
Quote from: Main Street on December 08, 2020, 12:55:56 AM
meanwhile out on the west coast Democrat law makers have legalized heroin and meth in Washington state , the la county prosecutors are not prosecuting the following crimes driving without a license  , trespassing, disturbing the peace, prostitution and resisting arrest . In San Francisco it is illegal to smoke a cigarette or vape in an apartment but smoking marijuana is ok , also in sf you can't smoke within 35 feet of a business but junkies shoot themselves up in business shopfronts with impunity . Liberals being tolerant of all sorts of anti social and illegal activities is destroying the quality of life for the law abiding tax paying residents of these cities .
Also 40 more people shot in Chicago over weekend and 37 the weekend before ,  a liberals paradise.

1.   Nothing whatsoever to say in defense of Trump, Giuliani, their irresponsibility with respect to COVID and their tinpot-dictator attempts to overturn the election?
2.   I had to look up the SF smoking ban. Surpisingly, it looks like its real in buildings with more than three units, but the exception for marijuana was inserted because apparently inside your home is the only place you can legally smoke it, whereas cigarettes and electronic cigarettes you can go outside. I guess you should advocate to expand the MJ allowances so that it can then be added to the apartment prohibition.
3.   On homelessness and drug use, I read a piece yesterday on some public parks in Seattle being allowed to be overrun with homeless addicts and mentally ill people. The question is do people want cities to prioritize and spend the necessary resources to get these people, whether its Seattle or San Francisco, off the streets and into the necessary care, particularly in a year where budgets are basically bust at all levels of government.
4.   You'll have to provide sources for your claims on L.A. I couldn't see any.
5.   Ticking the Chicago box as always. Tell us, how would the problems of Chicago be any different under a Republican city administration?