Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Boris has told the British public that all is great sterling and the markets have stabilised. What does this guy smoke. I really hope the Tories elect this guy as leader he will tear the place apart. Comical Ali wouldn't have a look in.

Nigel White

Roy Hodgson also thought there was no sterling crisis and look what happened to him

heganboy

in new York today a guy was telling me about the Brexit 4% swing.

His theory is that the leave campaign attracted 4% more of the people with an IQ over 100  than remain were able to capture of those scoring under 100.

His English boss said "wait I voted leave"

"Yo, see what I mean" said brass neck...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Losing the triple A rating is serious. I remember reading an article by Ian Jack a while ago. He was always wondering when the UK would run out of luck. I think it just has. The old Etonians have blown up the Tory Party. It is different to what happened to the Republican party but in the big picture it is the same.

seafoid

The FT is reporting a surge in demand for Irish passports . A lot from Unionists. If the UK does leave the passport is the key to a lot of benefits.

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2016, 06:36:34 AM
The FT is reporting a surge in demand for Irish passports . A lot from Unionists. If the UK does leave the passport is the key to a lot of benefits.
You're about four days late with that headline...the Belfast Telegraph reported it on Friday.
Ian Paisley Jr was encouraging people to get one!

LeoMc

Quote from: Hereiam on June 27, 2016, 10:56:27 PM
No real big noise by the leave side to hurry up the process and get out.......is anyone else smellin a big stinky rat

There will be another referendum, this time multiple choice:
1. Remain,
2. Leave and become a member of the EEA continuing to allow free movement and paying in
3. Leave and take WTO terms (limited access & tariffs).
By that stage both Labour & Tories will have torn themselves apart.

longballin

Quote from: Rois on June 28, 2016, 07:05:55 AM
You're about four days late with that headline...the Belfast Telegraph reported it on Friday.

The most nausiating part of this whole debacle... total hypocracy

armaghniac

Quote from: LeoMc on June 28, 2016, 09:34:25 AM
1. Remain,
2. Leave and become a member of the EEA continuing to allow free movement and paying in

The problem with 1) is that once you initiate Article 50 it may no longer be available and you have to start the process to actually calculate 2). So it might be just 2) and 3). In this case of course 2) would pass by a substantial margin, but a lot of people would still be pissed off. The EU would then have got rid of the hassle of dealing with the UK from the policy end, but would still keep most of the money. You might as well just stay in altogether.

The whole thing is a monumental mess.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: longballin on June 28, 2016, 09:41:58 AM
Quote from: Rois on June 28, 2016, 07:05:55 AM

The most nausiating part of this whole debacle... total hypocracy

I don't find it nauseating in the slightest. There's a difference between carrying a passport and nationality. If Billy Beggs the Brexit supporting monarchist from Ballymena wants an Irish passport, he's entitled to one as long as he stumps up the cash like everyone else.

LeoMc

Quote from: armaghniac on June 28, 2016, 09:59:42 AM
1. Remain,

The problem with 1) is that once you initiate Article 50 it may no longer be available and you have to start the process to actually calculate 2). So it might be just 2) and 3). In this case of course 2) would pass by a substantial margin, but a lot of people would still be pissed off. The EU would then have got rid of the hassle of dealing with the UK from the policy end, but would still keep most of the money. You might as well just stay in altogether.

Once Article 50 is initiated option 1 is no longer available. I think this is why UK is looking informal talks to be able to present the options before pulling the trigger. Italy, France and Germany have denied that option and Farages behaviour this morning will do nothing to improve the image of Brits abroad. This leaves the Tories with the frying pan (stay in and get burned at he next election) or the fire (watch the economy go up in smoke).

johnneycool

Quote from: LeoMc on June 28, 2016, 11:22:54 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 28, 2016, 09:59:42 AM
1. Remain,

Once Article 50 is initiated option 1 is no longer available. I think this is why UK is looking informal talks to be able to present the options before pulling the trigger. Italy, France and Germany have denied that option and Farages behaviour this morning will do nothing to improve the image of Brits abroad. This leaves the Tories with the frying pan (stay in and get burned at he next election) or the fire (watch the economy go up in smoke).

A lot of these political commentators reckon Merkels and Co will go to town on the UK to make an example to the rest of the EU states with sizeable anti EU elements that leaving is going to be a painful experience.
I'm not sure the likes of the German car industry would be supportive though as I'm sure they'd still want to trade reasonably easily with the UK.

Boris is full of shit and has been found out, they're laughing at him and his comments on the pound holding up and I don't think Boris wants that poison chalice, but he's in too deep now to retreat.

Canalman

He who wields the dagger never wears the crown.

muppet

Quote from: Canalman on June 28, 2016, 11:38:29 AM
He who wields the dagger never wears the crown.

Did a famous Dub not change it to something about smoke and daggers?  :D
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Total brexit won't happen. Merkel et al are talking tough for now. The reality is that the UK can not be forced to invoke article 50. What will quite likely happen is negotiations leading to a brexitlite which will be in effect no brexit at all. I voted remain for a number of reasons, most important to me was the Irish border. I have some sympathy with those who fear immigration at current levels and I don't want a European Superstate.