China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

I've got a question folks and it might apply to some.others on here as well. I live just across the border in Donegal, on the Derry/Donegal border, like a lot of people from Derry city.
With the north seeming miles behind on the testing and Taylor's horror story, in the unfortunate event of someone in the household showing symptoms would I better off calling the Irish number and going that route?

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on March 26, 2020, 10:10:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2020, 09:33:20 PM
Overall Sweden comes out good, not much diffferent to lockdown Norway,  there's a greater toleration of the natural immunity approach and forward thinking towards the likelihood of  2nd and 3rd wave, which has some  similarities to South Korea's policy.

This is nonsense, South Korea is testing left right and centre and regards the natural immunity approach as bollix.

Quote from: Main Street
You sound like PM Johnson, make a prediction -   without the substance.

Norway is testing widely, and can afford it, they will get it under control.

QuoteHow about Iceland's stats?

Given the size of the place, I think Iceland will succesfully track down the virus by testing and tracing.
You had better check up on South Korea, there are discussions about further relaxations with the purpose to allow the infection to spread.
Iceland is bigger than Ireland,  size has nothing to do with it,  you're talking through the proverbial hole.
Resources are proportional to the population, same as Ireland albeit a good bit cleaner.

As for predictions about Sweden, the stats indicate that  fewer people are being hospitalised as previous, I seriously doubt that they are refusing sick people medical attention.
https://portal.icuregswe.org/siri/report/vtfstart-corona

intensive care
https://www.icuregswe.org/en/data--results/covid-19-in-swedish-intensive-care/

This is information which is worthy of an educated discusssion, not reactionary prejudiced opinions dismissively being aired which gloss over anything of value to be learned.

ned

Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2020, 09:55:57 PM
Quote from: ned on March 26, 2020, 09:54:25 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2020, 09:53:14 PM
Quote from: ned on March 26, 2020, 09:44:44 PM
Interesting  to compare Sweden, Norway and Iceland

Sweden's on a light lockdown similar to South Korea  - people are trusted to act responsibly. restaurants and pubs are open , people are seated only and with some space in between
Norway is on a strict lockdown
Iceland is somewhere in between, but veering towards the lighter side.

Tests are fewer in Sweden, people are only tested if there is good cause.  Norway and Iceland test as many as they can.

Sweden 10.3m population  on 22 March,  24.500  tests, 1934 cases, 22 deaths.

Norway 5.4m population   On 25 March 2020 -  73,892 tests, 3,346 confirmed cases,  265 hospitalised, (70 on respirator) and 14 deaths
Iceland, most all first infected were returnees from ski trips Tirol/Austria/North Italy/Switz.

population  365,000   on 25 March  12,615 tests,   802  confirmed cases,  hospitalised 17 (3 intensive care),    1 dead  and 2nd death was a tourist who arrived half dead.

I never took to skiing and now my choice in life is finally vindicated.

Overall Sweden comes out good, not much diffferent to lockdown Norway,  there's a greater toleration of the natural immunity approach and forward thinking towards the likelihood of  2nd and 3rd wave, which has some  similarities to South Korea's policy.

The  Iceland and Norway  wide testing policy indicate  between 0.5%  to 0.7%  confirmed cases in the general population.
There's no data  that I could find on the levels of severity,  you either have it or are in hospital.

3 days can make a difference. Go look at number of deaths in Sweden now. They also gave a higher % of cases to tests!
As I very clearly wrote,  Sweden only test people with good cause, both Norway and Iceland test as many as they can, with and without cause.  Cause means -  flu like symptoms.
Therefore Sweden "have a higher % of cases to test"

That wasn't the main point.
It was a faulty point and clearly demonstrates that you can't evaluate information objectively.

You were the one who quoted figures three days apart. Variances between countries are multifactorial.

MayoBuck

Quote from: marty34 on March 26, 2020, 10:04:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2020, 08:55:17 PM
How many are the firm in Galway making ?

I take it the south has demanded that they are used in the south?

Do they send them all over Europe also or do they just send everything they make now to the HSE?

You'd think the Dublin government would be offering them big grant money (for the future) to keep everything they make in Ireland at present.

On the 9 o'clock news they showed a load of medical equipment at Dublin airport about to be flown to America.

The likes of Medtronic, Abbott, Hollister and Baxter are all American companies so I'd say they'll need to send a good portion back to their home country.

Will it ever end

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 26, 2020, 08:50:30 PM
See below from Eamon Mccann.
Still think Robin Swan is doing a good job? I don't.
We are under prepared and not doing enough to get prepared for this surge.

The Tories ordered 10,000 ventilators from Dyson. The North is to get only 600. Nurses and health workers here said our health service was one of the least prepared to deal with this crisis. We need thousands of ventilators not hundreds.

Last week Minister of Heath Robin Swann said he'd ordered 40 for a total in the North of 179. Pathetic!

Yesterday he announced 650 were being ordered. There's clearly no understanding of the threat people face and no clear leadership coming from Westminster or the Stormont Executive. This will cost lives. And this is made all the more disastrous given there is one of the biggest ventilator manufacturers in the world making them in Galway.

Another clear example of how an integrated all-Ireland public health strategy could save lives.

We need to keep shouting very loud for urgent action.

We need thousands of ventilators and we can get them.

Look I'm by no stretch of the imagination his biggest fan but he took the role 10 weeks ago after years of neglect & your expecting him to have been prepared for the biggest health crisis we've ever faced?

I dare say T Brick he'd gladly swap places with you!

Also do you expect the NI Executive to be seeking out Dyson? And if they got these 1000's of ventilators where will they put them - the ICU room capacity is not there to accommodate them!

The scale of this is incomprehensible - you've the NHS trying to source 40,000sq meters of space in numerous locations around the country!

The public sector here is not dynamic to deal with this hence all the pleas with private business to work together - and that's the only way we're all going to get through this - everyone working as one!

Main Street

Quote from: ned on March 26, 2020, 10:27:14 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2020, 09:55:57 PM
Quote from: ned on March 26, 2020, 09:54:25 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2020, 09:53:14 PM
Quote from: ned on March 26, 2020, 09:44:44 PM
Interesting  to compare Sweden, Norway and Iceland

Sweden's on a light lockdown similar to South Korea  - people are trusted to act responsibly. restaurants and pubs are open , people are seated only and with some space in between
Norway is on a strict lockdown
Iceland is somewhere in between, but veering towards the lighter side.

Tests are fewer in Sweden, people are only tested if there is good cause.  Norway and Iceland test as many as they can.

Sweden 10.3m population  on 22 March,  24.500  tests, 1934 cases, 22 deaths.

Norway 5.4m population   On 25 March 2020 -  73,892 tests, 3,346 confirmed cases,  265 hospitalised, (70 on respirator) and 14 deaths
Iceland, most all first infected were returnees from ski trips Tirol/Austria/North Italy/Switz.

population  365,000   on 25 March  12,615 tests,   802  confirmed cases,  hospitalised 17 (3 intensive care),    1 dead  and 2nd death was a tourist who arrived half dead.

I never took to skiing and now my choice in life is finally vindicated.

The  Iceland and Norway  wide testing policy indicate  between 0.5%  to 0.7%  confirmed cases in the general population.
There's no data  that I could find on the levels of severity,  you either have it or are in hospital.

3 days can make a difference. Go look at number of deaths in Sweden now. They also gave a higher % of cases to tests!
As I very clearly wrote,  Sweden only test people with good cause, both Norway and Iceland test as many as they can, with and without cause.  Cause means -  flu like symptoms.
Therefore Sweden "have a higher % of cases to test"

That wasn't the main point.
It was a faulty point and clearly demonstrates that you can't evaluate information objectively.

You were the one who quoted figures three days apart. Variances between countries are multifactorial.
Whatever the fck that means to justify you not reading what I clearly wrote before. And also what I clearly wrote were the dates associated with the data, with no attempt to hide anything.

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2020, 10:25:44 PM
You had better check up on South Korea, there are discussions about further relaxations with the purpose to allow the infection to spread.

I'm sure you will provide a link to such a policy. More likely they are relaxing economic restrictions in the belief that they can control the spread.

Iceland is bigger than Ireland,  size has nothing to do with it,  you're talking through the proverbial hole.

Iceland has 5% of the population of this island and tracing connections is easier on an island known for the quality of its medical databases. It is clearly easier to trace contacts in Iceland than in New York and anyone arguing otherwise is using the proverbial aperture.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on March 26, 2020, 11:01:51 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2020, 10:25:44 PM

I'm sure you will provide a link to such a policy. More likely they are relaxing economic restrictions in the belief that they can control the spread.

Iceland has 5% of the population of this island and tracing connections is easier on an island known for the quality of its medical databases. It is clearly easier to trace contacts in Iceland than in New York and anyone arguing otherwise is using the proverbial aperture.
I never said it was South Korea policy, I said it was up for discussion and seeing as you have a prejudiced inability to enact a simple search or be aware of the more educated discussions available on the www,   I will provide a link.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52001837
For the record i will quote the relevant text quoted from the head of the South Korea National Medical Committee,

'At a press conference, the head of the National Medical Committee, Dr Oh Myoung-don, told reporters there could be another spike in infections once schools re-opened. He is also concerned about a possible resurgence of the virus this coming winter. He raised the possibility that it may be time to allow part of the population to get sick. The "herd immunity" theory. He acknowledges the risk but also believes now is the time to be having these conversations and warn the public'

Re Iceland,  you are talking through the proverbial hole without any knowledge of the challenges that face medics in Iceland. Do you just imagine stuff up to support a crazy opinion, rather like PM Johnson  ;D

Jim Bob

One piece of advice we are getting is to avoid the elderly over 70. So on social media we are seeing images of people talking to their parents through the window or standing at the open back door and talking to them who are standing inside the door
Can anyone explain to me why anyone cannot not enter the house, touch absolutely nothing while inside, speak to their elderly parents from a distance of more than 2 metres and leave the house again without touching anything? Surely this is safe or am I missing something? 

Solo_run

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 26, 2020, 11:28:25 PM
One piece of advice we are getting is to avoid the elderly over 70. So on social media we are seeing images of people talking to their parents through the window or standing at the open back door and talking to them who are standing inside the door
Can anyone explain to me why anyone cannot not enter the house, touch absolutely nothing while inside, speak to their elderly parents from a distance of more than 2 metres and leave the house again without touching anything? Surely this is safe or am I missing something?

Can still infect others by talking to them. Ever spoke to someone and they spit droplets of saliva over you?

Milltown Row2

Heard someone say the living space can keep the virus up to 72 hours, so by speaking or breathing you could potentially spread it around the room.

There's more experts on that to inform you better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

People need to stop taking it as an absolute fact that standing 2m apart, leaving at 14 minutes and the virus dies at exactly 20 hours on stainless steel.

Theses are not strict rules. Like everything they are open to variation. Some people will spread droplets further than 2m. Some people will infect people within one minute of contact. The virus will live for over 20 hours on some steel surfaces and live less on others.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2020, 11:11:24 PM
Re Iceland,  you are talking through the proverbial hole without any knowledge of the challenges that face medics in Iceland. Do you just imagine stuff up to support a crazy opinion, rather like PM Johnson  ;D
[/quotezy

That's twice that you stated I was crazy and talking through my hole and even worse compared me with Boris Johnson  for putting forward the proposition that it is easier to trace people in a smaller place than a larger one, which is hardly an extreme opinion. I  think you need some practice in conducting an educated discussion.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Solo_run

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2020, 11:33:06 PM

Heard someone say the living space can keep the virus up to 72 hours, so by speaking or breathing you could potentially spread it around the room.

There's more experts on that to inform you better

Research suggests If someone coughs or sneezes without covering then the Infected droplets can stay suspended in the air for 3 hours. When we sneeze or cough the droplets travel at 100 mph and reach a distance of 6ft.

Coronavirus can live on cardboard for 24hrs.

Coronavirus can live on plastic/metal etc for 3 days.

Coronavirus can live on fabrics for 4 hours.

Coronavirus can live on skin/hair for 20 minutes.

All of this is at room temperature of course.