Irish Hockey

Started by From the Bunker, August 02, 2018, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on August 06, 2018, 07:29:51 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 06, 2018, 03:01:14 PM
Hockey thread descends into Flag and Anthem discussion. But it's only Unionists who are insular and backward looking.

Unionists are insular,  but not to our island but to the other one.
And if the Hockey association have sought to disassociate themselves from the bulk of Irish people why should people not remark on it?

This is f**king mental.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on August 06, 2018, 07:29:51 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 06, 2018, 03:01:14 PM
Hockey thread descends into Flag and Anthem discussion. But it's only Unionists who are insular and backward looking.

Unionists are insular,  but not to our island but to the other one.
And if the Hockey association have sought to disassociate themselves from the bulk of Irish people why should people not remark on it?
[/b]

Ah here. Thats special.

BennyCake

Britains campaign and policies in Ireland has come to this, the stage where the hockey/rugby crowd chose to go neutral. I understand the decision to change the flag/anthem, but it is sad that Irish sport and Ireland as a country has to hide it's national flag and anthem like they are some sort of embarrassment.

Must be one of the few countries in the world that does so, yet it's not the only country with political/racial/religious issues.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 09:22:40 PM
Britains campaign and policies in Ireland has come to this, the stage where the hockey/rugby crowd chose to go neutral. I understand the decision to change the flag/anthem, but it is sad that Irish sport and Ireland as a country has to hide it's national flag and anthem like they are some sort of embarrassment.

Must be one of the few countries in the world that does so, yet it's not the only country with political/racial/religious issues.
It is not the ROI hockey team.  Nor is it the  ROI rugby team.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 06, 2018, 07:17:25 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 04, 2018, 11:30:10 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 04, 2018, 08:22:42 PM
The more I read about it the more convinced I am that this is one remarkable group of athletes. They have cross-over skills from many other sports, including Camogie, Gaelic football, cricket, soccer, Indycar motor racing, and even Irish dancing.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/20-things-you-didnt-know-about-irelands-hockey-heroes-859992.html
Hockey itself is a smashing sport. It should be a lot more popular with the general public on the world stage than it is. It's a very skilful game and has meaningful international competition, with a wider spread of competitive countries than rugby or cricket - arguably only association football has a wider spread. It's consistently one of the most interesting sports at the Olympics. In terms of the marketing of the sport, however, it's been a big underachiever.

I always enjoyed it in PE, myself. It was one of the few ball games that I was any good at. But then the teachers made a bit of effort to teach the skills of it instead of assuming we already knew how to play.

You'd prob been good at camogie too if you tired it  ;)

Dougal Maguire

I think that's the important thing. The Soldiers Song is the ROI anthem. If we get a United Ireland we will need a new flag and a new anthem that the entire population can associate with. I for one would be content to sacrifice these for the greater good
Careful now

dec

The reason is not because of political/racial/religious issues. It is because in those cases the Ireland team represents 2 different states. The only similar situation I can think of is the West Indies cricket tea which represents an number of different states, and they have an anthem and flag that are not the flag or anthem of any of the individual states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Indies_cricket_team#Flag_and_anthem

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on August 06, 2018, 09:28:16 PM

True, but the Irish anthem and flag pre-dates partition.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 10:21:31 PM

This is not that complicated.  Why can't you just be happy for the  success the team has enjoyed?

Dougal Maguire

Agreed. Set up a new thread for the national anthem debate
Careful now

BennyCake

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 06, 2018, 09:39:15 PM
I think that's the important thing. The Soldiers Song is the ROI anthem. If we get a United Ireland we will need a new flag and a new anthem that the entire population can associate with. I for one would be content to sacrifice these for the greater good

It's also the anthem of thousands of nationalists in the North.

OgraAnDun

I agree, I'll be sad to see it go but I think it's neccessary to accommodate unionists.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 10:35:35 PM

It's also the anthem of thousands of nationalists in the North.
Probably not the anthem for the majority of the players from NI though.

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on August 06, 2018, 10:25:40 PM

This is not that complicated.  Why can't you just be happy for the  success the team has enjoyed?

I haven't said I'm not pleased for the team. They did well. Fair play to them. Never watched hockey in my life until lately. I mightn't ever watch it again but I was glad to see them do well. And it was great to see the whole country behind them.

The anthem/flag issue was brought up by someone, and well, here we are...

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 10:41:01 PM
Quote from: michaelg on August 06, 2018, 10:25:40 PM

I haven't said I'm not pleased for the team. They did well. Fair play to them. Never watched hockey in my life until lately. I mightn't ever watch it again but I was glad to see them do well. And it was great to see the whole country behind them.

The anthem/flag issue was brought up by someone, and well, here we are...
Can you not see how using Ireland's Call might help to get the whole island behing the team?