Dubs v Westmeath 25 June

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 24, 2017, 12:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: yellowcard on June 25, 2017, 05:48:02 PM
The sooner the GAA bring in a tiered championship to stop these type of contests the better. Pointless exercise today, Dublin will have had harder training sessions.

+1

Pure daftness.

inexile

The sooner the GAA bring in a tiered championship to stop these type of contests the better. Pointless exercise today, Dublin will have had harder training sessions.

Don't know if a tiered championship structure has added much to hurling. Don't see the Christy Rng etc having much prestige within hurling generally. My experience of those who would consider themselves to be from serious hurling counties is that counties involved in the lower tier championships are by and large irrelevant in the wider hurling scheme of things.

shark

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 25, 2017, 05:54:52 PM
Dublin will always do that to a team that chose to take them on with no defensive system in place. Carlow who like Westmeath played their league football in Div 4 gave a much better account of themselves against Dublin because they had a defensive system in place.

True. But WH got slated for keeping the score down the past two years. Mostly by their own.

Wildweasel74

Carlow did well to an extend as plus their game was not in croke park

straightred

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 25, 2017, 05:41:40 PM
There you go, they are a hugely better team without Diarmuid Connolly, better off without him!
:D I forgot about him

Cunny Funt

Quote from: shark on June 25, 2017, 06:05:23 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 25, 2017, 05:54:52 PM
Dublin will always do that to a team that chose to take them on with no defensive system in place. Carlow who like Westmeath played their league football in Div 4 gave a much better account of themselves against Dublin because they had a defensive system in place.

True. But WH got slated for keeping the score down the past two years. Mostly by their own.
Well those who slated it got their answer today and they might realize you don't take on Dublin without a defensive system in place sure even Mayo,Kerry would be hammered by Dublin if they turned up with those tactics,lack of organization and wide open at the back.

From the Bunker

Westmeath like fools listened to the media to come out of their shell and played open football! The theory is sure you are going to lose anyway. Wonder how many Westmeath people went to the game today? Not many I'd say! Today will have done further damage to that support. Dublin support will fade as well. Turkey shoots like today remind me of Premier league team friendlies played in the Aviva! Dublin going for 7 in a row Leinsters and 12 in 13 years! from a provincial point of view this is so unhealthy.

sid waddell

Quote from: inexile on June 25, 2017, 06:00:48 PM

Don't know if a tiered championship structure has added much to hurling. Don't see the Christy Rng etc having much prestige within hurling generally. My experience of those who would consider themselves to be from serious hurling counties is that counties involved in the lower tier championships are by and large irrelevant in the wider hurling scheme of things.

A tiered championship means no matches like Down v Monaghan yesterday evening.

Nobody gives a shit about the Christy Ring Cup and nobody will give a shit about a B football championship.

Dublin do exactly the same to Division 1 teams as they did to Westmeath today.

I think what people mean to say when they suggest a tiered championship, is that Dublin shouldn't be allowed play anybody else except Kerry.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2017, 06:18:30 PM
Westmeath like fools listened to the media to come out of their shell and played open football! The theory is sure you are going to lose anyway. Wonder how many Westmeath people went to the game today? Not many I'd say! Today will have done further damage to that support. Dublin support will fade as well. Turkey shoots like today remind me of Premier league team friendlies played in the Aviva! Dublin going for 7 in a row Leinsters and 12 in 13 years! from a provincial point of view this is so unhealthy.

Today had nothing to do with resources . When you perform as badly as Westmeath did today you have no chance. Carlow would have beaten Westmeath today. They were the worst team we've played in about 5 years.

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on June 25, 2017, 06:22:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2017, 06:18:30 PM

Today had nothing to do with resources . When you perform as badly as Westmeath did today you have no chance. Carlow would have beaten Westmeath today. They were the worst team we've played in about 5 years.

You just keep telling yourself that! What did Westmeath score against you in 2016 and 2015?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Dublin were excellent, Westmeath were pathetic, Croke Park was as miserable as ever for the Leinster championship. I just hope Kildare try to compete and at least leave a few marks on the Dublin players.

I can understand how Westmeath failed to get up for the game today, playing in zero atmosphere with no supporters, tired after the week before and set up badly they knew the game was gone after 15 minutes. Dublin were ruthless and have got the fear factor back.

The media ban is pathetic though and the GAA should threathen to withold the €1.5m a year they get if they fail to uphold their obligations.

GalwayBayBoy

If football has nothing to do with resources then Leitrim and Carlow should be capable of contending for All-Ireland's.

Shamrock Shore

Dubs non-print media ban over the meeja's reporting on Connolly. Sweet Jebus.

All this talk of splitting the championship pisses me off. So what if Westmeath get hockeyed. We got hockeyed 4 years ago and all the talk was the same.

Since that beating by the Dubs (4-25 to 0-10) we have beaten Derry, Down, Monaghan and Laois in the championship. Where would you put us?

Does nobody remember the farce that was the Tommy Cooper Cup?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 25, 2017, 06:32:30 PM
Dubs non-print media ban over the meeja's reporting on Connolly. Sweet Jebus.

All this talk of splitting the championship pisses me off. So what if Westmeath get hockeyed. We got hockeyed 4 years ago and all the talk was the same.

Since we have beaten Derry, Down, Monaghan and Laois in the championship. Where would you put us?

Does nobody remember the farce that was the Tommy Cooper Cup?

I was really looking forward to listening to Jim Gavin afterwards talking about how hard Wesmeath pushed them and how they are happy to have just gotten over them.