Rule on number of 'club' websites.

Started by AZOffaly, February 26, 2015, 08:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

HI Lads, and lassies,

Question for ye, as I can't find the answer readily myself. I'm setting up a website at the moment, as a repository of information, session templates, drills etc for our coaches. The reason for this website is we are implementing a coaching and games development plan, aligned with age appropriate skills and I want our coaches to have access to a source where they can choose games or exercises which align with our plan, and with their age group.

Anyway, at a committee meeting last night, someone mentioned that they thought there was a rule that a club could only have one website. I'm assuming this is aimed at not having duplicate sources of news, lotto results, fixtures, etc etc, rather than a dedicated repository like this. I have no info about the club, other than the name, on the website..

What think ye?

mayo.mick

Could you not add a seperate section on your existing club website? You could also password protect it or grant user access rights to logged in members.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

AZOffaly

I could, but that's not the question I asked :) The club website is in a bit of flux at the moment, so I want to get something up and running, plus I want to have admin rights to it, etc etc. WE probably will incorporate it at some stage, for now I'm just wondering is there anything preventing us just having this as a separate URL for the moment?

twohands!!!

Seems a bit odd - how/who would ever even police it?

There used to be some specific crowd in Dublin who handled domain name registration (basically giving clubs .ie addresses) so maybe it was them that had the rule?

Really would be surprised if there was an actual rule anywhere against it.

Definitely an "easier ask for forgiveness after than permission beforehand" situation in my opinion.

AZOffaly

I can't find anything in the Official Guide or the Club Constitution template about it. I think it might be someone misinterpreting the guideline that a club should have an official website. (As opposed to ONLY 1 official website).

inexile

Niotrhing in the rules about having mnore than one website per club. I know Kilmacud Crokes have at least two websites, one for hurling, the other for football. Come to think of it, I think they used to have separate websites for the sevens tournaments as well.