The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

The rule is .. hand in an unnatural position, referee decides that, or deliberately (easy one)

Unless that's changed then I'm sorry.. as for not addressing my link.it in relation to the English fans being nazi supporters, you asked the about whether it was at the world cup but the link I put up was 2017.. clearly giving it loads

But I'm all over the shop
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebuzz

Quote from: gallsman on July 15, 2018, 10:38:32 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 15, 2018, 10:27:40 PM
Was in Croker today so only catching up with World Cup now. This peno you are bickering about did the ref give it and go to VAR to reinforce that or did the VAR referees contact him and tell him to look?

The latter

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 09:09:26 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 15, 2018, 09:02:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 08:55:22 PM
Sid did you miss the post on the English men having the craic in 2017? Gallsman missed it also but sure, suit your own narrative

Maybe you should continue to spout on about rules that aren't actually anything to do with the laws of the game.
So you are not going to question the link?

Your are a bigger d**khead than him it seems.. his hand stopped the ball, I'd say 4 professional referees are more intelligent than you on the rules.. penalty, even the Croatian fans here didn't complain, but sure carry on

What are you shiting on about now? The ball hitting his hand is not in dispute. The key point in the relevant law is that it has to be a deliberate act. Lineker read the thing or on air ffs.

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2018, 09:08:07 PM
Was hoping the rain near the end would help the Croatian President win the Wet T-shirt competition ;)

That's not her.

Just out of curiosity I looked up images of her and this picture was bang in the middle of them.

Then I saw another one which had this:

Croatian President Confused for Coco Austin in Old Bikini Photos ...

Croatian President Mistaken for Ice-T's Wife Coco Austin in Bikini Photos of the Model

laoislad

Quote from: thebuzz on July 16, 2018, 12:21:19 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 15, 2018, 10:38:32 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 15, 2018, 10:27:40 PM
Was in Croker today so only catching up with World Cup now. This peno you are bickering about did the ref give it and go to VAR to reinforce that or did the VAR referees contact him and tell him to look?

The latter

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 09:09:26 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 15, 2018, 09:02:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 08:55:22 PM
Sid did you miss the post on the English men having the craic in 2017? Gallsman missed it also but sure, suit your own narrative

Maybe you should continue to spout on about rules that aren't actually anything to do with the laws of the game.
So you are not going to question the link?

Your are a bigger d**khead than him it seems.. his hand stopped the ball, I'd say 4 professional referees are more intelligent than you on the rules.. penalty, even the Croatian fans here didn't complain, but sure carry on

What are you shiting on about now? The ball hitting his hand is not in dispute. The key point in the relevant law is that it has to be a deliberate act. Lineker read the thing or on air ffs.

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2018, 09:08:07 PM
Was hoping the rain near the end would help the Croatian President win the Wet T-shirt competition ;)

That's not her.

Just out of curiosity I looked up images of her and this picture was bang in the middle of them.

Then I saw another one which had this:

Croatian President Confused for Coco Austin in Old Bikini Photos ...

Croatian President Mistaken for Ice-T's Wife Coco Austin in Bikini Photos of the Model

Yes, just like thebuzz I also, just out of curiosity, decided to look up images of blonde women with big boobs in bikinis....for research like...
It could take a while.....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 11:33:11 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 15, 2018, 01:20:46 PM
That a photo from the WC where they all sang Three Lions, Miltown?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa-to-act-over-england-fans-nazi-salutes-mkfcggrh6

So I asked you a question and you answered it? What more would you like me to say on the matter?

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 11:30:48 PM
The rule is .. hand in an unnatural position, referee decides that, or deliberately (easy one)

Unless that's changed then I'm sorry.. as for not addressing my link.it in relation to the English fans being nazi supporters, you asked the about whether it was at the world cup but the link I put up was 2017.. clearly giving it loads

Ah that's not rule but sure you work away

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on July 16, 2018, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 11:30:48 PM

Ah that's not rule but sure you work away

A handball should not be awarded if a player is ruled to have handled the ball accidentally. This refers to a player either attempting to protect himself from injury, for example by placing the hands in front of the face and then being hit by the ball, or a player being hit on the arm by the ball without moving towards the ball and without being able to move out of the way. An example might be a snap shot hitting the arm of a defender at point-blank range. However, if a player's arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not.

I've highlighted it, just in case

From fifa rules, but you can work away too

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on July 16, 2018, 09:14:54 AM

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa-to-act-over-england-fans-nazi-salutes-mkfcggrh6

So I asked you a question and you answered it? What more would you like me to say on the matter?

Seems I got the wrong end of the stick, I believed you were of the notion that the England fans were great lads, and in the Sid camp of thought. Id put a picture up of the lovely lads having some banter.

Apologies

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2018, 09:45:56 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 16, 2018, 09:14:54 AM

Seems I got the wrong end of the stick, I believed you were of the notion that the England fans were great lads, and in the Sid camp of thought. Id put a picture up of the lovely lads having some banter.

Apologies

Literally my only comment was about the Three Lions song, so not sure sure how you managed that.

AQMP

Was really hoping Croatia would win but France were more clinical in front of goal even though Croatia dominated possession for the first hour.  Big dive by Griezmann for the free leading up to the first goal and with the pen, I don't think anyone could be 100% sure so probably shouldn't have given it.  Having said that France beat Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium and Croatia in the knockout phase so deserved winners of the tournament.  Mbappe is already a class act and is going to be some player in a couple of years.  Very good World Cup to watch, helped by the crackdown on the pullin' and draggin' in the box at corners etc.  FIFA really need to get to grips with diving and play acting next.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 15, 2018, 07:10:00 PM
France are deserving winners in the end. They made the most of their luck in this game though. This game wasn't a classic it was all about the errors really. Getting the own goal and an accidental penalty set up the win.

Be nice to have a chat on the football, not the refs decisions.

France were clearly the best team in the competition - there was nearly unanimous agreement at the start that they were one of the favourites, but the question was could they play as a team?  I think they did that very well, and huge credit must go to Deschamps, as coach and manager.  He is now in some company (with Beckenbauer and Zagallo) as the men who have won WCs as player and manager, and yet, prior to the tournament he was under massive pressure from his own country's media.  The football wasn't consistently spectacular, but (as Johnny Giles might say), they played each game on its merits, and came out on top when it mattered. 

What do we take from the tournament in how the game is developing?  My own take is that the 'gaps' between good teams and bad teams is narrowing, and qualifying is going to get harder and harder.  More and more countries are learning how to defend properly - my guess is that we are going to go into a period where counter-attacking is going to be the coaching focus (retaining possession seems now to be out-of-date) - with a big big focus on organisation without the ball.

So what do we take from the successes and the failures.  France are a massive country, and their education system places a big emphasis on sport - the Clarefontaine academy has now led to success in 2 WCs and an EC.  If they can transform their league into one that can compete for players with La Liga and the PL, then we could see them becoming a (more) dominant force (than they already are).  Croatia, as a tiny country producing (consistently) world-class players, in all positions, must be worth studying, from Ireland's perspective at least.  If we look back at the fact that they nearly didn't qualify in the first place, then we have to concede that the skills of their manager must be a key factor - is this a golden generation, or is this a one-off effort in support of a man with motivational skills?  Germany - poor choices in selection of the squad; nothing more.  Brazil - not in a good place; mass exodus of their players from local football; might never be a force again, realistically.  Argentina - ditto.  Uruguay - they know who they are; they know what they can do; they keep doing it, but are too small to win it without massive luck.  England - won the games they should have, lost they games they should have; have a real coach for the first time in ages (since Bobby Robson, probably) and might improve to a second-tier nation. 

So, a very good WC - it nearly always is, in fairness. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Minder

I see they have named a tube station on the London Underground after Southgate  :-\
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 16, 2018, 12:23:39 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on July 15, 2018, 07:10:00 PM
France are deserving winners in the end. They made the most of their luck in this game though. This game wasn't a classic it was all about the errors really. Getting the own goal and an accidental penalty set up the win.

Be nice to have a chat on the football, not the refs decisions.

France were clearly the best team in the competition - there was nearly unanimous agreement at the start that they were one of the favourites, but the question was could they play as a team?  I think they did that very well, and huge credit must go to Deschamps, as coach and manager.  He is now in some company (with Beckenbauer and Zagallo) as the men who have won WCs as player and manager, and yet, prior to the tournament he was under massive pressure from his own country's media.  The football wasn't consistently spectacular, but (as Johnny Giles might say), they played each game on its merits, and came out on top when it mattered. 

What do we take from the tournament in how the game is developing?  My own take is that the 'gaps' between good teams and bad teams is narrowing, and qualifying is going to get harder and harder.  More and more countries are learning how to defend properly - my guess is that we are going to go into a period where counter-attacking is going to be the coaching focus (retaining possession seems now to be out-of-date) - with a big big focus on organisation without the ball.

So what do we take from the successes and the failures.  France are a massive country, and their education system places a big emphasis on sport - the Clarefontaine academy has now led to success in 2 WCs and an EC.  If they can transform their league into one that can compete for players with La Liga and the PL, then we could see them becoming a (more) dominant force (than they already are).  Croatia, as a tiny country producing (consistently) world-class players, in all positions, must be worth studying, from Ireland's perspective at least.  If we look back at the fact that they nearly didn't qualify in the first place, then we have to concede that the skills of their manager must be a key factor - is this a golden generation, or is this a one-off effort in support of a man with motivational skills?  Germany - poor choices in selection of the squad; nothing more.  Brazil - not in a good place; mass exodus of their players from local football; might never be a force again, realistically.  Argentina - ditto.  Uruguay - they know who they are; they know what they can do; they keep doing it, but are too small to win it without massive luck.  England - won the games they should have, lost they games they should have; have a real coach for the first time in ages (since Bobby Robson, probably) and might improve to a second-tier nation. 

So, a very good WC - it nearly always is, in fairness.
Croatia finished 3rd in 1998 so at a generational level they are capable of producing good players (Suker, Boban, Prosinecki from mid-late 90s) and good tournament squads. As you say, they'd definitely be worth investigating for other similar sized places like Ireland.

Quote from: Minder on July 16, 2018, 12:45:20 PM
I see they have named a tube station on the London Underground after Southgate  :-\
It was already called Southgate  ;)

Boycey

I've seen absolutely feck all of yesterday s match, is there a 2/3 mins highlights package kicking around anywhere?

gawa316

Quote from: Boycey on July 16, 2018, 07:22:59 PM
I've seen absolutely feck all of yesterday s match, is there a 2/3 mins highlights package kicking around anywhere?

10 mins

http://www.yoursoccerdose.com/2018/07/15/france-vs-croatia-highlights/#3