Eurovision 2016

Started by ONeill, May 08, 2016, 11:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Australia the best song tonight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 12, 2016, 10:08:06 PM
Ireland with the most Eurovision wins can no longer qualify for the final, where did it all go wrong?

It's simple really. The Song is Sh1te. I've heard it a few times now and I could not hardly remember a line from it.

It's a song contest. And it's been a while since we sent a good song ......20 years in fact!

Many of our heros in the past were semi unknowns!

We don't have to send someone connected to Louis Walsh or RTE!

You can blame all the block voting stuff but the reality is we have sent some lame dogs to the Contest the last 20 years.

The UK has the same excuse.  But their songs the last 20 years have been worst than ours and that is some feat!

Farrandeelin

It should be renamed the 'EurasiawithAustraliaaswellivision'.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 12, 2016, 11:06:23 PM
It should be renamed the 'EurasiawithAustraliaaswellivision'.

Pangeavision would probably be catchier.  :D
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2016, 01:51:20 PM
I used to work in India and I was the only European in the office. Every so often there would be a meeting with a client from the UK  who would be the Indian version of a plastic paddy. I was so used to the Indian way of behaving. The hand gestures, the phrasing, the head movements, the vegetarianism. And there would be someone with the gimp of an Indian opposite but a brummie or London accent. And virtually nothing in common with the Indians.

Irish Poles wouldn't have much in common with people at home in Poland in the second generation .

What is the head wobble all about? That is one that seriously confused (and infuriated) me

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ONeill on May 12, 2016, 10:25:57 PM
Australia the best song tonight.
That Korean girl had a great pair of lungs.

armaghniac

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 12, 2016, 11:14:37 PM
What is the head wobble all about? That is one that seriously confused (and infuriated) me

You get used to it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Capt Pat

That is 2 years in a row we have failed to make the final. Marty Whelan thought we were robbed.

BennyCake

It was bad enough years ago with countries voting for their neighbours. Now it's anti-Russia songs, women with beards, transexuals, whatever next? It's all one big brainwashing, social conditioning, propaganda fest, and nothing to do with music.

Asal Mor

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 12, 2016, 10:46:06 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 12, 2016, 10:08:06 PM
Ireland with the most Eurovision wins can no longer qualify for the final, where did it all go wrong?

It's simple really. The Song is Sh1te. I've heard it a few times now and I could not hardly remember a line from it.

It's a song contest. And it's been a while since we sent a good song ......20 years in fact!

Many of our heros in the past were semi unknowns!

We don't have to send someone connected to Louis Walsh or RTE!

You can blame all the block voting stuff but the reality is we have sent some lame dogs to the Contest the last 20 years.

The UK has the same excuse.  But their songs the last 20 years have been worst than ours and that is some feat!
I wouldn't disagree about our songs being unmemorable, but I would argue that our song is no worse than the totally bland Russian one(now 4/6 favorite). Sergey has an amazing act on stage though, one that he must have been practicing for the last 6 months, and it's quite a feat to still be able to belt out his song while doing all that. I think our lack of any sort of a stage production or choreographed routine is a lot of it too. Once again our "effort" looked like it could have been put together in 2 minutes. This time we had the band, other years we had a couple of Irish dancers doing a jig behind the singer. Of course, if you have a good song(like Ukraine or Australia this year) you can get away without a big show.
The RTE hand-picked celebrity thing seems corrupt as well as unsuccessful. Why not go back to a Eurosong contest where unknowns enter with their own songs? A talent show, with artists singing their own songs, would be infinitely better than all the jumped-up karaoke shows that even the 10 year olds who used to watch them, are tired of.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 12, 2016, 11:42:05 PM
That is 2 years in a row we have failed to make the final. Marty Whelan thought we were robbed.

Nicky has no regrets. He gave it his all.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 13, 2016, 07:11:09 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 12, 2016, 11:42:05 PM

Nicky has no regrets. He gave it his all.
We can ask no more. Marty thinks that every year. A bit of objectivity would be a good thing.

johnneycool

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 12, 2016, 11:14:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2016, 01:51:20 PM
I used to work in India and I was the only European in the office. Every so often there would be a meeting with a client from the UK  who would be the Indian version of a plastic paddy. I was so used to the Indian way of behaving. The hand gestures, the phrasing, the head movements, the vegetarianism. And there would be someone with the gimp of an Indian opposite but a brummie or London accent. And virtually nothing in common with the Indians.

Irish Poles wouldn't have much in common with people at home in Poland in the second generation .

The head wobble is slightly misinterpreted by us westerners accordingly to a few Indian lads I was on a business trip with. In India its sort of a sign that they're agreeing with you, but its pretty similar in motion to what we'd do with shaking our head, but in disagreement. Nothing more than that!

From the Bunker

What people have lost the run of themselves is - all the gimmicks in the world will only get you so far - You still have to have a decent song - and a decent performer.

All the last 15 years bar Russia 2008 were worthy winners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT3JtIxjoL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZkXb_IGS1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvLtTRzdHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3avE4Zsp14g

seafoid

Eurovision is a very strange bird. It's a continental centre for trans activity and political posturing and the music is weird.
But it's great ould telly.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU