Home Heating

Started by nrico2006, December 03, 2010, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Lower the temp and leave it on all the time.
Having space heaters in rooms if you're colder is a good idea (you can usually get these on a timer).
Also a stove in a room is some job if you have it.

Focus on sealing up windows and doors (weather strips) draft blockers, heavy curtains, let plenty of sun in during the day......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Last week and again last night the heating was turned on and the burner didn't fire, it was airlocked.  It worked fine once the reset button was pressed but what would the cause of this be?  The first time it happened last week it was airlocked and I bled the burner and pressed reset but last night I just had to press reset.  Would this be caused by not having the heating on for x amount of days in a row?  Last night the thermostat in the room was set to 18 and I measured the temperature as being 19 so I though this was simply the reason the heating hadn't came on after 20 minutes therefore I turned the thermostat up to 20 but still didn't work.  It was then when I pressed the reset button. Any ideas welcome.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 19, 2011, 04:05:48 PM
Last week and again last night the heating was turned on and the burner didn't fire, it was airlocked.  It worked fine once the reset button was pressed but what would the cause of this be?  The first time it happened last week it was airlocked and I bled the burner and pressed reset but last night I just had to press reset.  Would this be caused by not having the heating on for x amount of days in a row?  Last night the thermostat in the room was set to 18 and I measured the temperature as being 19 so I though this was simply the reason the heating hadn't came on after 20 minutes therefore I turned the thermostat up to 20 but still didn't work.  It was then when I pressed the reset button. Any ideas welcome.
Not having much luck with the heating nrico. Can't think why your system would be airlocked unless you have air in the fuel line. On another matter do you really need the heating on in this weather?!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 19, 2011, 07:01:00 PM
How is your oil tank situated in relation to the boiler?

Do you use a tiger loop to draw the oil into the burner?

Tony, we have the heating on every evening, it's cold out here in the West.
I have reduced my carbon footprint by telling the wife to put a jumper on. I've had no heating on this weeks and it won't be back on the timer again til October.

bridge fan

if your having 2 push the reset button most days i will be either the capicator or oil pump.  capicator cost about £10 oil pump cost about £70 - 80 quid

Hashtag

At what temperature should I have the thermostat on at the moment? great weather and all that?

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Hashtag

Quote from: Onion Bag on May 24, 2012, 12:21:52 PM
OFF!!!!!!!!!!!

What temp do you normally keep it at during the year?

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Olly

I was reading in a magazine that there's a feng shui way of heating your house. You need to have certain objects at certain angles. For example, if you have a brave sun coming through the window, you can place a mirror on the beam and reflect it towards wallpaper. It'll never burn the paper, maybe slightly scorch it, but if you use dark wallpaper or black wallpaper your walls can be glowing hot and no one will see it. It'll be midnight before it cools. You can do the same for non-combustible carpet or mats although never wear rubber soles or go barefoot til after 10 at least. Instant underground heating. If there is no sun that day, get someone to shine a blowtorch through the open window from outside. The reflection off the mirror convinces the wallpaper/carpet that it's the sun. The person on the outside can wear layers or run on the stop, then take turns.

Simple things like running really fast anytime you go somewhere in the house i.e. the toilet, to make tea. When bring the tea back - brisk walk.

People are so used to mod cons like coal and oil that they won't embrace their ancestors' methods.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

illdecide

Lads if you have any trouble with your oil heating just give me a shout and i'll sort it for you, i have been trained up and am OFTEC registered technician. You should not be using your oil heating in that weather (unless for hot water) but this is the best time of the year to get your boiler serviced since your boiler has slogged it all winter and needs a good shake up...

nrico your not too far away from me so keep in touch ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ONeill

Quote from: illdecide on May 24, 2012, 07:14:41 PM
Lads if you have any trouble with your oil heating just give me a shout and i'll sort it for you, i have been trained up and am OFTEC registered technician. You should not be using your oil heating in that weather (unless for hot water) but this is the best time of the year to get your boiler serviced since your boiler has slogged it all winter and needs a good shake up...

Cowboy.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

illdecide

Quote from: ONeill on May 24, 2012, 07:35:40 PM

Cowboy.

Indian.

illdecide

Folks just to let you know if your boiler is 15 years or older and you earn less that £40k then you qualify to receive a grant of up to £1k to install a new high efficiency condensing boiler from the Government (no Mexicans ;))

nrico2006

Will do.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'