Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

4820...Was trying to hit 5000 for the year but a cold for the last three weeks i was trying the odd Sunday. Four days to get 180 mile...it's possible but today and tomorrow the weather is crap. Wet conditions and even wind wouldn't put me off it's just frost/ice is the only thing that would stop me going out
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on December 22, 2020, 11:45:56 AM
You can link Zwift to Strava pretty easily. I'd a lot of outdoor miles this year as I was training for the Majorca312 and then loads of lockdown miles, 2 x Zwift sessions per week and 2 outdoor spins most weeks for me atm, I'll keep Zwift going to March.

Benny i always wanted to try that 312 Majorca but was/is bad time of the year having to put big big miles in during Jan, Feb and March. If it was organised for Aug or Sept I'd say there would be a lot more up for it. A mate of mine tried it and failed first attempt, 2nd one came off the bike a month or two before it and injured himself so had to postpone it and 3rd attempt was this year and Covid took care of that...Not having much luck with it.

imtommygunn

I got a turbo trainer at the start of the month as I would be a runner but with gyms shut wouldn't get much other cardio. Linked up to Zwift etc. Some job. Not easy either.

bennydorano

Quote from: illdecide on December 27, 2020, 11:14:12 AM
You can link Zwift to Strava pretty easily. I'd a lot of outdoor miles this year as I was training for the Majorca312 and then loads of lockdown miles, 2 x Zwift sessions per week and 2 outdoor spins most weeks for me atm, I'll keep Zwift going to March.

Benny i always wanted to try that 312 Majorca but was/is bad time of the year having to put big big miles in during Jan, Feb and March. If it was organised for Aug or Sept I'd say there would be a lot more up for it. A mate of mine tried it and failed first attempt, 2nd one came off the bike a month or two before it and injured himself so had to postpone it and 3rd attempt was this year and Covid took care of that...Not having much luck with it.
It was horrible training for it, I took more half days and full days off work to put in the miles, always seemed to hit rubbish weather no matter what the forecast said, I honestly have no fond memories of it and then it going tits up with Covid was almost a relief as I got sick in the spring and was going like a dog for ages.

manfromdelmonte

Too hot in Aug or Sept.
Winter training is hard. Being in a club makes a big difference

C-na-G

12,200km at 32kph, the aim was 10k, then missed the entire month of April, and thought it was going to be a struggle, but the summer months were brilliant.

Main Street

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 27, 2020, 02:07:36 PM

Too hot in Aug or Sept.
Cycling is a pleasant exercise and also a handy mode of transport. You guys use it as a method of extreme self-flagellation, even in such a beauty spot as Mallorca.

illdecide

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 27, 2020, 02:07:36 PM

Too hot in Aug or Sept.

I'd rather take my chances in the heat with summer training at home for it TBH. In France last year it hit 46 degrees (we were there during a heat wave) and i get it regarding the heat but to put yourself through that training at home in Dec, Jan, Feb and March just doesn't interest me.
I actually forgot that i was off the road for 2 months with a hip replacement this year...

grounded

Quote from: C-na-G on December 27, 2020, 03:34:33 PM
12,200km at 32kph, the aim was 10k, then missed the entire month of April, and thought it was going to be a struggle, but the summer months were brilliant.

Thats super going. Out of interest are most  of thise miles solo or group?

C-na-G

This year at a guess I'd say 80% solo v 20% group. A typical year would be more like 50/50

grounded

New year's resolutions/goals

Obviously with covid 19/restrictions in mind.

Myself, I would love to do Mizen-Malin (or vice versa) later in the year over 2 or 3 days.

Any big plans for the rest of ye?

maddog

Quote from: grounded on January 02, 2021, 11:20:18 PM
New year's resolutions/goals

Obviously with covid 19/restrictions in mind.

Myself, I would love to do Mizen-Malin (or vice versa) later in the year over 2 or 3 days.

Any big plans for the rest of ye?

When i looked quick i thought that said Mizen to Milan. ::)

Hope to get close on 5000 miles in. Weather not helping at the moment but getting a bit done on Zwift. Sportives could be a disaster this year, no one seems to be planning guess they can't really with covid situation. The Birmingham velo is scrapped, organisers cancelled last year and tried to keep the money. Seems they have form for it. I got mine back off the credit card company.
Mizen to Malin would be right going in 3 days. There is a group from Birmingham (BICA - Birmingham Irish cycle appeal) that do it a lot of years but i think they take a week at it with a few refreshment points shall we say.

On a side note - thinking about road pedals. I'm still using Look delta pedals (ancient), wondering what the clip in pedal of choice is these days ?

HiMucker

Folks looking to get a good tow bar bike rack. I heard the Thule ones are the job, but they have a couple of different options varying in price. Want one for at least 2 bikes, possibly 3. Dont mind paying more if it makes things far handier and is a once off cost. The handier the better. Any advice or recommendations?

APM

Quote from: maddog on January 26, 2021, 11:47:42 AM
When i looked quick i thought that said Mizen to Milan. ::)

Hope to get close on 5000 miles in. Weather not helping at the moment but getting a bit done on Zwift. Sportives could be a disaster this year, no one seems to be planning guess they can't really with Covid situation. The Birmingham velo is scrapped, organisers cancelled last year and tried to keep the money. Seems they have form for it. I got mine back off the credit card company.
Mizen to Malin would be right going in 3 days. There is a group from Birmingham (BICA - Birmingham Irish cycle appeal) that do it a lot of years but i think they take a week at it with a few refreshment points shall we say.

On a side note - thinking about road pedals. I'm still using Look delta pedals (ancient), wondering what the clip in pedal of choice is these days ?

Knew three guys that took on to do Mizen to Fair Head in 48 hours as an Audax challenge back in the 80s. 

They had an interesting journey.  One had never planned to complete it, and had to go back home for work, dropped out half way through.  Another got injured in Tipperary.  The third fella told me he got lost in the midlands and followed the North star to make sure he was going in the right direction (no sat nav in those days). He made it to Armagh, where he lived, with about 6 hours to spare, and took some food and thought he would take a lie down........

Anyway, he woke up 12 hours later....