Donegal at war over where to bring home Sam

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 04, 2012, 04:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/donegals-homecoming-furore-206393.html

Donegal's homecoming furore

By Stephen Maguire

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

A huge row has erupted among Donegal GAA fans about where the team's All-Ireland homecoming will take place.

Jim McGuinness' team are favourites to lift the Sam Maguire after terrific displays this season. The team has always followed tradition and celebrated homecomings with a parade at The Diamond in Donegal Town.

But now the people of Letterkenny feel that should change and the homecoming should take place in their town.

Letterkenny Chamber of Commerce has contacted the Donegal GAA County Board to request the county team return to their town after the All-Ireland SFC final against Mayo.

In a strongly-worded letter, the Letterkenny Chamber said they felt it was now time for a Donegal team to celebrate in Letterkenny.

President of Letterkenny Chamber John Watson admitted businesses had been lobbied on the issue.

He said: "We feel the time is right now that Letterkenny could be the place for the team to return to.

"We will welcome the team back with or without the Sam Maguire after the final and it won't cost the County Board a cent.

"For years the team has returned to Donegal Town and we feel it's time that Letterkenny got a turn.

"We are the biggest town in the county and a number of businesses from the area have sponsored the team in recent years. We feel it would be a nice touch if the homecoming could be shared around and we would like to do it after the All-Ireland final."

However the move has divided fans who have accused the Letterkenny Chamber of trying to cash in on the Donegal's team's whirlwind success.

A spokesman for the County Board said it will discuss the matter shortly and give the Letterkenny Chamber an answer to their request.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

cadence

few years back i shagged a mayo woman and snuck away in the morning like a right donegal bastard.

Lecale2

What about Lifford? Isn't it the County town?

This isn't the sort of shite you want to be reading in the papers leading up to an All Ireland Final.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 04, 2012, 07:41:34 AM
What about Lifford? Isn't it the County town?

This isn't the sort of shite you want to be reading in the papers leading up to an All Ireland Final.

That just depends on the colour of your jersey!

Shamrock Shore

Jesus - the Mayo lads will be laughing at this one.

Where will Mayo's celebrations be taking place?
Weshtport or Castlebar

stephenite

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 04, 2012, 09:40:44 AM

Weshtport or Castlebar

We, to a man, woman and child, don't give a f**k.

In the unlikely event of us beating 'the best gaelic football team in the history of the world', the team can go to straight to Letterkenny for all anyone cares.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 04, 2012, 09:40:44 AM
Jesus - the Mayo lads will be laughing at this one.

Weshtport or Castlebar

Win lose or draw Shamrock Shore the general internary of a Mayo fan after an All Ireland will be Gills , the Big Tree , Flannerys Coppers and a combination of a Chipper/Hostpital/Garda station/ some random apartment in Drumcondra or Rathmines! :D

seafoid

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 04, 2012, 04:00:16 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/donegals-homecoming-furore-206393.html

Donegal's homecoming furore

By Stephen Maguire

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

A huge row has erupted among Donegal GAA fans about where the team's All-Ireland homecoming will take place.

Jim McGuinness' team are favourites to lift the Sam Maguire after terrific displays this season. The team has always followed tradition and celebrated homecomings with a parade at The Diamond in Donegal Town.

But now the people of Letterkenny feel that should change and the homecoming should take place in their town.

Letterkenny Chamber of Commerce has contacted the Donegal GAA County Board to request the county team return to their town after the All-Ireland SFC final against Mayo.

In a strongly-worded letter, the Letterkenny Chamber said they felt it was now time for a Donegal team to celebrate in Letterkenny.

President of Letterkenny Chamber John Watson admitted businesses had been lobbied on the issue.

He said: "We feel the time is right now that Letterkenny could be the place for the team to return to.

"We will welcome the team back with or without the Sam Maguire after the final and it won't cost the County Board a cent.

"For years the team has returned to Donegal Town and we feel it's time that Letterkenny got a turn.

"We are the biggest town in the county and a number of businesses from the area have sponsored the team in recent years. We feel it would be a nice touch if the homecoming could be shared around and we would like to do it after the All-Ireland final."

However the move has divided fans who have accused the Letterkenny Chamber of trying to cash in on the Donegal's team's whirlwind success.

A spokesman for the County Board said it will discuss the matter shortly and give the Letterkenny Chamber an answer to their request.
Fan bomaite

blast05

Bump .... just making share this stays near the top of the page  ;D

J70

Looks like it won't be worth our while even turning up, such is the hole we're apparently digging for ourselves with the arrogance, presumption and hype. I doubt any towns or CoCs or Mayo County Council are even thinking about getting organized for a homecoming. I'm sure they'll pull it together on the morning of Monday 24th in the event that they win,  something Mayo people are completely dismissing.  ::)

ck

I was at the semi at the weekend and three Donegal men were behind me. They laughed through the whole 2nd half at the prospect of Mayo winning and the fact that it was be an easy final for Donegal. I also know a bookie who has a shop in Donegal and reckons the arrogance and c**k sure attitudes in Donegal are unbearable.
That all said I think Donegal will win by 5 or 6. Hope I'm wrong. Hup Mayo.

Rossfan

Well Sligo had some mighty plans made for a Sunday night in July 2010 . ;)
Also there were a lot of 5-in-a-row T shirts waiting to be let loose in September 1982  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: ck on September 04, 2012, 02:15:30 PM
I was at the semi at the weekend and three Donegal men were behind me. They laughed through the whole 2nd half at the prospect of Mayo winning and the fact that it was be an easy final for Donegal. I also know a bookie who has a shop in Donegal and reckons the arrogance and c**k sure attitudes in Donegal are unbearable.

There are idiots in every county. Only the clueless would class the final as a foregone conclusion after both sides played so well and beat the respective favourites in the semis. All that matters is the attitude of the team. I'm pretty sure Mickey Harte, Joe Kernan and Pat Gilroy all had to deal with huge hype and excitement and manage its effect on their squads. Nothing I've seen to date suggests McGuinness won't be equally adept and that Donegal will not pay Mayo their well deserved respect and go in with the right attitude. Besides, you're predicting a handy enough Donegal win yourself!

Crete Boom

Quote from: J70 on September 04, 2012, 02:47:53 PM
Quote from: ck on September 04, 2012, 02:15:30 PM

There are idiots in every county. Only the clueless would class the final as a foregone concclusion after both sides played so well and beat the respective favourites in the semis. All that matters is the attitude of the team. I'm pretty sure Mickey Harte, Joe Kernan and Pat Gilroy all had to deal with huge hype and excitement and manage its effect on their squads. Nothing I've seen to date suggests McGuinness won't be equally adept and that Donegal will not pay Mayo their well deserved respect and go in with the right attitude. Besides, you're predicting a handy enough Donegal win yourself!

Sure don't worry about the predictions J70. I think with our last couple of final performances we probably can't expect too many neutrals giving Mayo the nod in the prediction stakes (and that's not even mentioning the league final flops). Why wouldn't Donegal people be confident , they've been magnificent all championship and if a bit of hype is too much for McGuinness & Co to handle I'd be mighty surpised.
There will be plenty of hype down here in Mayo too don't worry (despite the beal bocht) sure we are back in the big one. It's bad enough here out west with the recession without being banned from going mad in the lead up to an All Ireland or did the Troika demand a cut in Mayo apery as well :o

deiseach

My best man is from Donegal and he assures me that commemorative All-Ireland-winning milk bottles were produced in Dublin in 1992. Apparently they're collectors items in Donegal. Whether it's true or not (he's never been able to show me one) they won't be complacent in Donegal.